More suggestions / wish list

vbimport

I have just purchased the product and am very happy with the results. I would like to see options for compression settings of individual titles and chapters. That way I could use a higher compression on menu items and save the higher bitrates for the actual movie. Maybe an option to record the whole disc, but leave out (certain) trailers or music videos. What I’m most interested in is the scene selection and sometimes certain other extras. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Are there any plans on supporting multiple CPU’s to make the processing even faster?
I run a machine with dual P4 2.8 Ghz Xeon processors and it would be nice to be able to use their full capacity :slight_smile:

In all other aspects, great program! Keep up the good work!

/Joe Cool

The compression is already being shifted to the actuall movie based on a natural selection method.

In full copy mode, if you remove for example two languages from a movie the free’d-up space is already being used for the main movie and not spreaded over the discs.
DVD2one does process EVERY vobset on it’s own with a global factor, but uses the bitrate very efficiently.

Perhaps with the new engine we have planned a manual selection could be possible, but with the engine we have now it’s somewhat impossible to do.

About SMP support, DVD2one relies on the OS for it’s threading etc. The os should take care of spreading the load across both processors.
(and somehow the OS-X is more efficient in doing this then the quad Xeon Win2k i tested it on)

The compression is already being shifted to the actuall movie based on a natural selection method.

Could we call this the Darwinian method?

Minor tweak:
Many poorly authored commercial discs don’t have correct language codes for the audio or subtitles (shows up as “unknown” or other shot-in-the-dark). Would it be a nightmare to set those correctly in the new VIDEO_TS files? A drop-down box so users can choose the language code?

What about the ability to add info/comments, such as when audio tracks are designated as “Director’s Commentary”?

Recommendations for next release of DVD2OneX:
– Change the selection method of highlighting the audio/subtitle choices with a more obvious check box. On another forum it became clear that people were baffled by the grey highlighting.

– The audio/subtitles window isn’t large enough to show all of the “Info” field.

“About SMP support, DVD2one relies on the OS for it’s threading etc. The os should take care of spreading the load across both processors.
(and somehow the OS-X is more efficient in doing this then the quad Xeon Win2k i tested it on)”

Interesting. Is the engine already so efficient that Altivec on the Mac is not needed?

altivec is for vector based calculation (hence the VEC)!
(several input variables are being calculated with a single instruction)

DVD2one does NOT use any form of vector based calculation so the perfomance gain with Altivec (or sse/mmx etc) would not have a speed gain at all!

In most cases the processor speed isn’t the bottleneck but disk-IO.

Raise your hand if you like numbers.

another suggestion for DVD2One:
Have column for each title that shows how much they will be compressed (82%? 64%?). It would be interesting to see how those percentages change, for example, when choosing “movie only” and deselecting some of the audio. (Go for Dolby 5.1 AND the director’s comments, or just save the 2-channel stereo?)

On discs with lots of extras, the movie gets compressed fairly severely, so we choose between keeping the extras on the disk or working on the main movie only. Percentages might be very useful in making that decision.

Plus some of us just like that kind of stuff…

Originally posted by schmeg
[B]Raise your hand if you like numbers.

another suggestion for DVD2One:
Have column for each title that shows how much they will be compressed (82%? 64%?). It would be interesting to see how those percentages change, for example, when choosing “movie only” and deselecting some of the audio. (Go for Dolby 5.1 AND the director’s comments, or just save the 2-channel stereo?)

On discs with lots of extras, the movie gets compressed fairly severely, so we choose between keeping the extras on the disk or working on the main movie only. Percentages might be very useful in making that decision.

Plus some of us just like that kind of stuff… [/B]

it’s very interessting :smiley:

i also like to have a clickable selection of audio and subtitlestreams for in- or excluding in the final dvd. it would be nice to have more option in what i want in a full disc like movie, menu + a few extras. i think you know what i mean :wink:

ok here is my 2 cents on ths already awsome program, i was one of the very first people to buy this the very first day it came out.

so i have been with dvd2one since the very beggining. so far people have been complaining that the updates have been very slow… but if you think about it. this program has come a long way in just 3 or 4 revisions.

i mean it went from just doing the movie part of it in about 40 mins (on my machine) to doing the whole disk (with selectable audio in about 60 min on my machine ) in a few months. around 3 or 4 i belive. thats an awsome achivement especialy since no more then 4 months ago it would take 4 hours just to re-encode just the movie part with CCE.

dvd2one has set the standard now. it was the first to do its job well.

great job guys :bow: :bow: :bow:

anyway…
if i were part of the team the next thing i would do is add a checkbox for the user proibitions (or however u spell it) to avoid potential problems with the movie, i personaly dont like to take off the restrictions out of the dvds…

i wouldent go all the way and make every little thing selectable like IC does but just a simple “click here to remove navigation restrictions” button or something. that would give another option, yet it would still keep dvd2one simple.

then probably the other thing i would do is the ability to join a “flipper” into one disk. but thats just me.

great program again guys, you cant make everyone happy. but i think the majority of us are.
:smiley:

dvd2one has cut my backing up my movies time by 3/4 ths

I’d love to see a little help presented to assist in deciding which files to ‘backup’ before running dvd2onex. Specifically, the actual filenames of the vob files for video and audio. It sure would make it easier to select the full 2 channel audio as opposed to actor/director comments.

Thanks for a great product! :bow:

jgh