More revealing facts about LiteON and their lack of support and customer care:

vbimport

For all you new customers out there deciding on whether to buy LiteON or another drive, keep in mind that a lot of companies have their issues, HOWEVER, when it comes to tech support, LiteON has the worst in the industry.

LiteON DOES NOT CARE AT ALL about their customers, they ignore you, they never answer e-mails, answer the phone, in fact when you call the 1-888 number they don’t even identify which company is answering.

For all you new customers I invite you to check the following web site:

http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/index1.htm

Exhibit A: Contact US not working
http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/contactus.htm
Seeing that they were flooded with complaints they probably don’t want you to contact them. I can understand they revamped their web site recently, but apprently this feature was not always working. AND it seems this link has been dead for a very long time. It really doesn’t give a good impression for new prospects. A company that can’t even care for their web site and leaves deadlinks, removes features, etc… for months, despite people having warned them of the problem, shows you the way they also build their drives, much the same way.

Exhibit B: Tech info not working
http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/tech.htm

Exhibit C: Troubleshootin not working
http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/trouble.htm
A section where you could report a problem and fill in a form. After investigation some people found it that the form was directed to dev/nul and going nowhere… Once this was found out, mysteriously the link went dead. LiteON is NOT interested in hearing your feedback as they know very well people are on to them.

Exhibit D: Report a trouble
http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/problem.htm
Same as C. Where C was more of a troubleshooting section with text book tips that lead nowhere, section D was supposed to help a customer report trouble in order to HELP liteon improve their product (yeah right). Given that’s impossible at this stage and LIteON does not plan on improving their product, this feature has been dead for months.

Exhibit E: RMA for your defective drive
http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/rma.htm
No way for you to get an online RMA like any other normal company - You have to either e-mail or phone them. Given the fact they get a HUGE volume of e-mail and probably discard/ignore most of them, and never answer the phone, then good luck getting an RMA. LiteON also has a habit of putting blame on your retailer, in other words if you have a problem contact your distributor or retailer. You contact your retailer they in turn send you to LiteON, each party blaming each other.

Someone I correspond to with instant messaging had liteon products in the past and he waited over 2 months to get an RMA #. AND he got a new drive back which was ALSO defective.

Exhibit F: Removed discussion group
http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/discussion.htm
Seeing their forum/group was flooded with complaints and unsatisfied customers, this area has mysteriously disappeared from site.

Conclusion, you the prospect buyer who is seeing this would you really trust a company like that to provide you a product ? A company that ignores their e-mails, takes customers for fools, does not offer an online RMA, contact, support, and even maintain their website which has dead links for over 6 months and nothing done about it… Do you the prospect customer find that this company CARES about its customer, given the aformentionned exhibits above ? We can clearly see that LiteON applies this same attitude in building their drive.

The only options that work are FAQ and REGISTER, mysteriously, the most important options do not work. That says a lot about company support. If their drives were any good you’d think they defend it and support it, and not HIDE behind the curtains like this.

YES there are issues with other companies, I agree, but at least you can contact them, and you won’t get 404 links and get ignored as much.

Has LiteON proceeded to massive cost cutting measures that they can’t even offer the MINIMAL support towards their customers ?

If you are not decided yet, well you should think twice before buying a LiteON product, until the day they will provide:

• E-mail tech support
  • Phone tech support
  • Adequate RMA policies
  • Courteous tech support
  • Products that work as advertised

Visit the AWARDS page, isn’t it funny that most awards come from Taiwan and Chinese based magazines ? I smell bias here.

Why is it that ASUS offers better support, a way to contact them, better RMA policies, a better built drive, for even a lesser price ?

Sure the LiteON does have its advantage like offering up to 40x burning speed for CD-R and all but with this level of support and the fact right now the cat is coming out of the bag and LIteON is realising that people out there are not DUMB and are on to what is going on, would you trust that company ?

I don’t know about Sony, but I think they are idiots to do business with LIteON, perhaps it’s not by choice and LiteON is cheap for them, but it’s also clear Sony doesn’t give a crap about its customers either.

The first link worked fine for me.
(http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/contactus.htm)

At the time I wrote this it wasn’t working and wasn’t for a few months. Guess when you bark like a dog someone listens :smiley:

24 hours tech support line ? They should replace it with 24 hours call waiting :smiley: Good luck trying to talk to someone live, I think they have 1 person taking calls… :smiley:

I think they offered customer care when they integrated the bitsetting feature into their firmware. Expensive drives like Pioneer and especially Plextor do not offer this feature - but cost much more.

I had problems with my Pioneer 106 due to the lack of bitsetting. This has now been solved by my 811S. It is not perfect but I am satisfied.

Originally posted by easy-going-man
[B]I think they offered customer care when they integrated the bitsetting feature into their firmware. Expensive drives like Pioneer and especially Plextor do not offer this feature - but cost much more.

I had problems with my Pioneer 106 due to the lack of bitsetting. This has now been solved by my 811S. It is not perfect but I am satisfied. [/B]

How naive of you to think that LiteON offered us the bitsetting tool just because customers asked for it… :slight_smile: It was a feature requested by one of its OEMs. And now LiteON is not the only drive offering bitsetting if you look carefully.

And one more thing the bit setting tool is USELESS. One should not bother using it unless needed. A bitset DVD+R to DVD-ROM will reveal a disc with a higher PI/PO count and is NOT a 100% garantee it will be playable by all DVD players. A DVD player that does not support reading +R or -R or both will very unlikely play the DVD-ROM bitset from a DVD+R it’s all a big gimmick.

Whilst the DVD player will look for the booktype and find it as a DVD-ROM, it might try and play it but with potential problems.

Having your DVD+R set to DVD-ROm does not give you universal compatibility, there are other factors to take into consideration like combination of media used and the set top DVD Player. You can have a DVD+R set to DVD-ROM, but your DVD Player will still not read it because of the media used, so universal compatibility is non existant. No matter how you bitset things and tweak things, you will never get the same compatibility as a pressed DVD Video despite all the bullshit written about how close a DVD+R is to a pressed DVD Video.

The poor laser quality and writing strategy of the 811S makes matter even worse for written DVDs and compatibility to set top players, despite the bitsetting tool.

So people who think this tool is a cure all miracle, you better buy a lottery ticket and rub the snake oil you’ve recently purchased from a mail order catalog!
:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I tried DVD+Rs with DVD-Rom booktype on several DVD players. They played perfectly - even on cheap Mustek players. No dropouts at all. Even cheap DVD+Rs work - despite of bad KProbe values. With DVD+ booktype, the discs did NOT work on these players.

I do not care why LiteOn added this feature. I am glad they added it and evaluate it as good customer support.

When you have problems with your drive, sell it over Ebay and get a Nec 2500A - the “King of quality”.

BTW, I know that NEC 1300A offers bitsetting with a hacked firmware. Officially, there is no support for bitsetting. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh and I forgot the BTC drives. But there are many issues with them as well.

Lite-on make very good dirt cheap drives. However, one of the reasons that they can sell them so cheap is an almost total lack of after-sales support (the basic attitude is “We make good drives so why do you need support anyway?”)

As it happens, Lite-on’s attitude isn’t far off the mark but if you do need support the best place to get it is right here at cdfreaks. :iagree: :smiley:

Originally posted by Rimmer66
[B]How naive of you to think that LiteON offered us the bitsetting tool just because customers asked for it… :slight_smile: It was a feature requested by one of its OEMs. And now LiteON is not the only drive offering bitsetting if you look carefully.

And one more thing the bit setting tool is USELESS. One should not bother using it unless needed. A bitset DVD+R to DVD-ROM will reveal a disc with a higher PI/PO count and is NOT a 100% garantee it will be playable by all DVD players. A DVD player that does not support reading +R or -R or both will very unlikely play the DVD-ROM bitset from a DVD+R it’s all a big gimmick.

Whilst the DVD player will look for the booktype and find it as a DVD-ROM, it might try and play it but with potential problems.

Having your DVD+R set to DVD-ROm does not give you universal compatibility, there are other factors to take into consideration like combination of media used and the set top DVD Player. You can have a DVD+R set to DVD-ROM, but your DVD Player will still not read it because of the media used, so universal compatibility is non existant. No matter how you bitset things and tweak things, you will never get the same compatibility as a pressed DVD Video despite all the bullshit written about how close a DVD+R is to a pressed DVD Video.

The poor laser quality and writing strategy of the 811S makes matter even worse for written DVDs and compatibility to set top players, despite the bitsetting tool.

So people who think this tool is a cure all miracle, you better buy a lottery ticket and rub the snake oil you’ve recently purchased from a mail order catalog!
:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: [/B]

Rimmer66, enough already.

First and foremost your comment about the bit setting tool (“USELESS”) is totally inacurate. Setting the booktype to DVD-ROM does greatly increase compatibility with set top DVD players. To say otherwise is pure ignorance. Of course it’s not 100% guaranteed to work in all DVD players, niether are DVD-R discs.
“Universal compatibilty” as you put is has not been guaranteed by anyone at any time on any optical drive. But again the bit setting tool does increase compatibility dramatically. Who around here is saying that a +R disc is as good as a pressed DVD? No one, that’s who.

You seem to have a vendetta for LiteOn right now and it is getting to be a nuisance. Yes everyone is entitled to thier own opinion, BUT everyone is not entitled to shove it down peoples throats. You made one topic already where you wanted to start a lawsuit. As if that wasn’t enough you had to create another topic? The same rules apply for any type of posting around here. Spam and ‘crossposting’ are noth against the forum rules, and this topic touches on both those line very closely.

We do not allow:
Spam (Spam is unsolicited e-mail (or news postings and Private Messages) pushing a point);
Crossposting (posting the same message in more than one forum [insert]or of course the same forum[/insert])

If you have nothing contructive to say or do around here I suggest you take your leave. You started off causing problems and the moderators (and the rest of us) gave you another chance, don’t make them (and us) regret that decision.

I am sorry but i also see it like Rimmer says. I have come across 8 LiteOn drives and are all worthless. The incompatability issues are endless, heck my friends that first had them now have Pioneer Ao7’s and NEC2500’s to replace the Crappy LiteOn drives. I have 2 off them and i ONLY use them for Kprobing, which i now find useless as Jackass had said before. Some media on the 811 looks like total crap while on the 851 with GSOA look 100x better. The burns don’t work on my standalones. I use the A07 and the quality is a BIG difference. I have tried my 2 LiteOn drives on 5 of my PC’s with endless issues. I WASTED 3 50 packs of DVD+R’s testing all kinds of firmwares. IMO my A06 will run 100 circles around both of my LiteOn’s anyday.

Their RMA service SUCKS, I tried for 2 weeks trying to return one with no results. I finally took the drive back to Staples after 30 dayts and the manager was nice enough to exchange it 2 times. It’s funny i walk in the other day and he asked me how the drive was. I was like don’t even ask, he then proceeds to tell me that alot of customers have returned these drives like Crazy.

Peace and don’t flame me this is just IMO and my experiences with the LiteOn burners.

Agree with Ssseth, although i’m not using my 811s as my primary burner, when i do, i use bit-setting feature. Booktype feature + kprobe actually make me keep my 811s. The drive is obviously working for me!! So, please stop putting words on other people mouths that this thing does not work at all… True! if you look around the forum, you will see so many people having problems with the drive. But think about it, what kind of person come to a forum and post a thread when everything working fine. :bigsmile:

I don’t really understand why you even bother trying to use this as-you-called POS DVD burner anyway. If i were you and unhappy with any product, you can bet i’ll just return it or throw it in garbage bin. Or ebay it. :stuck_out_tongue:

By the way, I don’t know what is the last time i called these manufacture/software support. I know better that i should not bother because nobody will pick up.

@MAXIMUS95GST
If you will read my post again you will see I have no issues with someone stating their opinion. But a second topic was not needed, when he said the bit setting was “USELESS”, well that was going too far. Rimmer66 has cause some problems around here before and I don’t want to see it start up again.

One thread created by him bashing LiteOn is more then enough for me, there is no reason why he could not have continued posting in that thread. IMO it’s no different ‘rule wise’ then someone creating a second thread asking the same type of questions again.

I think I’ve seen enough silliness for today. If one of the other mods cares enough to re-open these threads they are welcome to do so. But as far as I can see this is just a lot of mis-information.