MORE Questions About SD2

vbimport

Well, I've learned more about SD and SD2, and I have a few questions.

spath said there were uncorrectable errors at the C2 level.
1. How did he know this if the sector was so badly trashed that even C2 data couldn't be extracted?

2. Is there any way to burn these errors? I know CloneCD fills them with 0x55's, but there would be no C2 errors then, correct?

AWS modifications can be detected when reading the disc in Audio mode. Why doesn't SD2 read the weak sectors in Audio mode? It would disallow AWS to work at all, right?

Maybe C2 errors could be written by using weak sectors? When cd-writer (non-EFM capable) writes weak sectors it doesn’t do correct EFM encoding… maybe that produces C2 errors?

Well there’s the problem, then. You can either burn C2 errors OR weak sectors, but not both.

It would be nice to know IF there are that kind weak sectors that can’t be read at all (reading EFM encoder would mess it up)… then the reader would report C2 errors.

Or let’s suggest hardware manufacturers that they add “burn C2 errors”-command. :slight_smile:

1. Is there any way to burn these errors? I know CloneCD fills them with 0x55’s, but there would be no C2 errors then, correct?

not afaik.
writing ‘bad’ weak sectors does not produce c2 errors (at least on
the writers i tried).

but why would you want to? there’s currently no protection that
knows the difference.

Originally posted by blackcheck
but why would you want to? there’s currently no protection that
knows the difference.

A SafeDisc revision could tell the difference. There must be some sort of hidden problem with this, I can’t believe that they could be this stupid.

There must be some sort of hidden problem with this, I can’t believe that they could be this stupid.

Why not? The Toshiba 1502 can easily distinguish between amplified and non-amplified week sectors (without such audio-tricks or similar), but no sd2 game seems to use this fact…

Originally posted by alexnoe
[B]no sd2 game seems to use this fact…

That’s exactly my point… It must somehow be more incompatible, or something.

I’d say they simply are that stupid…

> spath said there were uncorrectable errors at the C2 level.
> 1. How did he know this if the sector was so badly trashed that
> even C2 data couldn’t be extracted?

with special equipment.

> 2. Is there any way to burn these errors?

no.

what happens when U burn a SD2 CD with a non capable EMF encoding burner after the image has been patched with insektors or something like that?:rolleyes:

@spath:

Do you have any ideas as to why SD2 doesn’t use the audio read method?

That’s exactly my point… It must somehow be more incompatible, or something.

no it’s not. i have developed my own protection, and this is one
(of 3) methods it uses. on the original disc are sectors with (very few) c2 errors. every drive that supports c2 pointers can recognize
them. but no one can copy hehe …

Originally posted by blackcheck
[B]

no it’s not. i have developed my own protection, and this is one
(of 3) methods it uses. on the original disc are sectors with (very few) c2 errors. every drive that supports c2 pointers can recognize
them. but no one can copy hehe … [/B]

So the only reason is that they are, indeed, stupid?

So the only reason is that they are, indeed, stupid?

well they have to keep some stuff for the new versions , don’t they?