More info on Sony Optiarc AD-5240S

vbimport

hi, ive looked everywhere searching for info about this drive, but barely got something.

im trying to find a review, chipset, write quality test, anything about it, but its a no-go. don’t even know if its a sony or optiarc :wink:

anyone have this drive, can talk anything about it? also, can it be used as scanner?

tnks in advance

I guess that is a AD-7240S without DVD-RAM support ( disabled in firmware ).

The results for the AD-5240S should be similar to this drive just without the DVD-RAM support

[QUOTE=malowz;2483824]can it be used as scanner?[/QUOTE]

First off welcome to the MyCE forums malowz :iagree:

They are not that reliable on scanning so take the results with a grain of salt as the
old saying goes. You will need to scan @5x to get half way decent scans if you want
a decent to good scanner you will need to find a Liteon with a Mediatek chip set but
they are becoming as rare as hens teeth a lot of the newer Liteon’s are using the NEC
chip set same as the Optiarc AD-7240S uses. :doh:

tnks for clarification guys! helped a lot! :iagree:

as im in brazil, its hard to find a decent drive here to buy.

i was between Samsung SH-S223, Optiarc AD-5240S, Asus DRW-1814BL.

now, the reviews point to AD-5240S as better recorder (main purpose obviously)

tnks again dudes!

The review is very comprehensive, however, I have an AD-5240S and it arrived with firmware 1.Z2 that cannot be updated by anything that I found so far. Any ideas?

[QUOTE=sercoe;2521799]I have an AD-5240S and it arrived with firmware 1.Z2 that cannot be updated by anything that I found so far.[/QUOTE]
With Binflash you should be able to backup your current firmware and then flash a different one.

Hi Liggy I tried that and binflash worked well to backup firmware 1.Z2 but then when I tried flashing Binflash (1.50) returned a message of “bootcode mismatch” and stopped. The same thing happens with the factory firmware 1.03.

It could be that they actually updated the drive’s bootcode which makes it incompatible to other firmwares. This should be the case if Binflash shows values different to 0xffff as bootcode version.

I’ll send you a PM with my email address. Maybe you can send the 1.Z2 dump to me?

Hi, the 1.Z2 firmware for ad-5240s is firmware built by RIMAGE for the “CD Robot” Rimage 2000i.

I have big problems to flash an ad-5240s with this special firmware.I dumped the firmware from the original Rimage ad-5240s but it is not possible to flash a “normal” 5240s (fw1.03) with the 1.Z2 fw.Allways the bootcode-problem “found 0x3038 expected 0x3038”.
Has anybody any idea how to solve this problem?
best regards willburr

Hmm. Sounds exactly the same as my drive. Liggy is looking into it and may post recommendations here so stay tuned.

I received a 1.Z2 firmware from Sercoe and it actually contained a different bootcode, so the main firmware is probably not compatible with the old bootcode. The only chance is to add patches to this firmware.

However the error message should have been “found 0x3039 expected 0x3038”

Hello Liggy You are quite right. That was the error message that I got. Willbur probably misstyped. Cheers

Hi, yes, I really misstyped.0x3039 expected 0x3038" is right. regards will

[QUOTE=willburr;2524563]Hi, yes, I really misstyped.0x3039 expected 0x3038" is right. regards will[/QUOTE]
Sorry, the message is" Found 0x3038 expected 0x3039"

willburr

Haven’t checked the sourcecode which value is for the drive and which one is for the firmware file. But I knew it couldn’t be the same value twice :wink:

[QUOTE=Liggy;2524335]I received a 1.Z2 firmware from Sercoe and it actually contained a different bootcode, so the main firmware is probably not compatible with the old bootcode. The only chance is to add patches to this firmware.

However the error message should have been “found 0x303[B]9[/B] expected 0x3038”[/QUOTE]
Hello Liggy,
how to patch the firmware?
I think it will be too difficult for me to do.
Have You any discription how to do?
Regards
will

Hello All,
I’m in the same boat at Will - have dumped firmware from a 5240S recorder from a duplicator system, and am trying to flash a retail 5240S recorder with that same firmware.

Will, did you ever figure out how to do it, or if its possible?