More and more signs that labelling decreases CD/DVD quality

vbimport

I just posted the article More and more signs that labelling decreases CD/DVD quality.

While the quality of recordable CD and DVD media becomes more and more a big issue it also becomes clear that labbeling a disc decreases the quality of a disc and even decreases the…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8283-More-and-more-signs-that-labelling-decreases-CD_DVD-quality.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8283-More-and-more-signs-that-labelling-decreases-CD_DVD-quality.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I found that out a long time ago and stopped using stick on labels… Unfortunately one of my friends was not so lucky and had a CD explode in his burner which caused a few problems… I got myself a Canon i865 that prints directly to the DVD and CDr discs, I have printed well over 200 discs and have not had any problems with out of balance or any deteriation . Plus it is very economical on ink and does an excellent job…

My guess is that the adhesive, being petroleum based, on a plastic disk (observe what petrol does to plastic) permeating the plastic and mebbe destroying the read face on the disc…but I aint no rocket scientist…:X

mudruner, the Canon i865 is indeed a nifty little printer for CD prints. Some others out too, but I’m not sure how well they do on plain paper tasks with text. The Canon is a pretty good balance of photo, text and CD printing. Very usable CD printing software it comes with too.

I’ve got a folder of 120 CD-R all labelled. I’ve had LOTS pf those discs go bad. Do not sticker your discs!

Can anyone please give any feedback on “Avery Dennison AfterBurner CD Kit” I’ve been using it for a couple years now, and so far, I’ve had 0 CD/DVD’s break apart or show any signs of increasing errors. Even today, my first labeled DVD (9 months ago), shows no increase in errors (i kept previous results), After reading many articles awhile back, I asked some friends that I made labels for their discs, and they said, that they still worked fine, this was about 7 months after initial sticker application. Thou I do remember similar degrading problems after using stuff by STOMP. Also, I keep all my CD/DVD media in appropriate folders, in a temperature controlled room.

It’s great to author the disc itself. Mentioned above is the Canon i865. There is also the Epson R200 or R300 which feature printing to CDs and DVDs. They actually heavily promote this as point of parity from other printers. The R200 is a watered down version of the R300. The only difference between the two is that the R300 has the little LCD screen and inputs for memory sticks. Other than that, the two print the same. The R200 ran for 80 bucks the other day at Newegg.com. The R300 goes for around 185 coin. Epson also has reasonably lower prices for ink. Just thought I’d let everyone know what my research on this produced. I’ll definately be getting the R200 soon. Now its just a matter of finding the best printable DVD media. Someone should thoroughly research that up.
[edited by p_motch on 09.05.2004 01:32]

I wondered why my movies were always skipping about half way through when I first got a DVD burner. Turned out my DVD player can’t play disks if they have a label on them! This included Ritek G04 and Verbatims, plus different brands of label. Labels were applied properly with label kit etc. Must have made the disks too heavy or something.

i have the EPSON Stylus Photo 900 which print’s onto cd but i never use it because it says in the guide book you must leave the disk 24 hours be for trying to play it. i must say i use sticky lables for my cd’s and dvd’s and never had a problem.

I am also lucky enough to own a Canon i865 printer and reckon that it’s one of the best purchases every made. The CD/DVD label printing is awsome and the plain paper printing is almost as good as a laser printer (no kidding). Not cheap but one of the best. Marco
[edited by mad-marco on 09.05.2004 23:38]

I found out that the simplest way ever for labelling CDs and DVDs is a simple soft tip permanent marker. Costs less than a bag of popcorn (at least in my country it does) :g and doesn’t affect the CD at all. I have labeled 2000+ CDs that way and about 80-90 DVDs; it’s true that about 0.5% of the CDs (especially the 2yr+ old ones) are partly unreadable, but my guess is that it’s not marker’s fault, but improper storage conditions combined with the low quality of some CDs (I keep all the CDs in windowed CD envelopes, in big carton boxes, about 600 in a box).