Moral Dilemmas

The more I have the more I want, even though I know I need little.
Will having more and more things make me happy?
Greed is an overpowering emotion.
The emotion of fear is everpresent.
Greed and fear seem to go hand in hand.
I can’t tell if my well wishers are real or fake.
Even though I know people flaterring me are lying, Why do I like it? Why do I have a need to be accepted by people I know to be not my friends but faking it.
Why lies told by a pretty girl seem to have more affect on people (convincing them that they are truth) then truth told in a simple way by guy?
Why do certain people feel happy by humiliating their fellow men?
If there is God why does it not come down from the sky and set all things right there and then. why does he not punish the crooked and render fair justice at the moment?
why is life not fair?

Life is not fair because there is no god.
Life is not fair because it is human nature.
It is human nature to fight amongst oneselves over petty material objects.
It is human nature to be curious.
It is human nature to be prideful.
It is human nature to sin.
It is human nature to be unique.
It is this uniqueness between persons that causes strife, confusion, discord, pain, murder, greed, and fear.

I’m no Bertrand Russell, but I will try and give them my best shot.

Will having more and more things make me happy?
Maybe in the short term you will be happy, but you will probably find over a fairly short amount of time after you get it you will end up having it integrated into your life, and you standard of living will only be raised, therefore in the long time you will probably end up no more happy. Only get what you need, leave things that you just want to have, of course, where the two separate is up to you.

Greed is an overpowering emotion
It is, not sure how I can answer this, only your own self discipline can over power it.

The emotion of fear is everpresent
Then you must consider what you are afraid of, I am afraid of so many things, or have been. This is especially true with social fears.
You must ask yourself, is it really a risk?, or is it just my own mind blowing something out of perspective?, consider what you stand to gain and what you stand to lose, and the chance of either happening.

Greed and fear seem to go hand in hand.
Maybe it is that when you are afraid, or missing something in your life, you choose to fill it with material goods (ie a rich man trying to susbstitute love with wealth). Maybe your mind uses greed to distract you from your fears.

I can’t tell if my well wishers are real or fake.
Niether can I, please describe more so what you mean by “well wishers” (maybe a few anecdotes would be helpful).

Even though I know people flaterring me are lying, Why do I like it? Why do I have a need to be accepted by people I know to be not my friends but faking it.
The mind is very good at making you see things how you want them to be seen. In could be compared to denial. You like it because, from what I see, you have low self esteem and are crying out for complements.

Why lies told by a pretty girl seem to have more affect on people (convincing them that they are truth) then truth told in a simple way by guy?
Because people want them to be the truth, same idea really as above.

Why do certain people feel happy by humiliating their fellow men?
Hmmm… I guess we are all a little sadistic. It is about power, when you are humiliating somebody you have power over them. Humans feel happy when they are in control, petty humiliation is normally when the “humiliator” feels out of control themselves and so seeks it any place they can, I myself have been on both sides of this, I think we all have. Try to remember also the fine line between good fun and real humiliation, I don’t yet know anybody who has perfected not crossing it when they do not intend to.

If there is God why does it not come down from the sky and set all things right there and then. why does he not punish the crooked and render fair justice at the moment?
God did not create the worlds problems, man did. From what I can see sociaty only seems to work when they are working to solve a common problem, when their is no problem people do nothing and then that creates anouther problem. For this reason I do not belive the world will ever be perfect. You cannot have a perefct world because whos idea of perfection would it be based on? Everybody has different ideas of perfection, therefore somebody would allways be unacepting, and people cannot be happy when they cant accept something. I guess people accept what they cant change, but in the world people would allways seek to change as long as they had free will, and would a world without freedom, when everybody was “perfect” be a “perfect” world. I think their can be more than one form of perfection. Perfection implies the most good option, kind of in hand with the “absoloute morality” theory. For example, you could say the “perfect” colour was either blue or red, they can both be “the perfect colour”.

Ben

These are very good comprehensive explanations. Thanks.

that’ll teach me to edit at the end

I too feel at times there is no God, may be the idea that there is God helps a great deal to get through life.
But Why do I have a conscience? where did that come from?
We are born ,we live for certain time thinking we are going to live foreever and may be always look like 20 years old, and we die in the end.
Life is so unpredictable.

Conscience, personally I think it is enviromental. Peoples idea of right and wrong seems to depend on their upbringing, people who have not yet learned that stealing is wrong do not feel bad if they do, that is why little children happily take sweets from shops.

If you do not mind my asking, how old are you?

I am 23 years old friend. I was walking with my uncle a few days back and he is 41 and he asked me, do you think you will always look like 23 for the rest of your life? It came to my mind - what? I thought I will always like 23 and later i realized I will not but i didn’t want to think about that. I know my face will change slowly, my hair may fall out and things like that.

You wont notice you are changing… others may notice if they have not seen you in a while, and you will notice when you look back at old photographs. I still think I will allways look 15, but when I look back at pictures of me when I was 12 I really notice a difference. I myself often wonder what I will look, and be like when I am older. I guess people get used to what they see, and dont like to think of the change, because people are afraid of it.

Well I am agnostic/atheist, so the only thing I believe in is one’s own capability to change oneself, or one’s inability to control themselves.

We don’t think we will live forever, at least I don’t, we just dont think about dying, and when death seems so far off it is soemthing that only applies to other people. People are happy not knowing how long they have left. I once (when I was about 7) wanted to cover my wall with a massive grid, estimating I would live to 74, and I crossed off each day to see how long I had left, I guess to show me how to plan my life, the idea seems silly now, as you dont know at all how long you have left, or what evens shall happen.

The fact life is unpredictable is what makes it worth living. If everybody knew what was going to happen, then what would we be like? People base actions on past experiance, if they knew the future, what would they be basing their actions on? And wouldnt them knowing the future make them try to fight it?

Priorities change along the flow of time like all other things in the universe. :flower:

Save the best for last!

Ben,

I am really proud of you, you mature before our eyes. Keep on. :iagree: