Monitors Flashing In The Morning

vbimport

So, ever since i’ve built my new rig for work using the new Sandy Bridge CPU i’ve really had nothing but problems with it. First, i cant get connected to the internet after a restart or shutdown without disabling and reenabling the lan port (still is the case). Second, the recall so i had to switch out my motherboard completely (which thankfully went without a hitch). Now, im getting a new issue (since the switch).

When i leave my office at night, i let it run overnight so it can run the daily virus scan. Before, no problems at all. But since the switch, when i come into the office in the morning, my monitors are blank (like in sleep mode - which is normal) but not when i “wake them up” the main monitor flashes on and off while the secondary monitor doesnt come on at all.

What’s even more frustrating is everytime the monitor flashes it resets the mouse to the middle of the screen so its hard as hell to navigate anywhere to even try to restart.I noticed today when i unplug the second monitor it stops flashing and everything goes back to normal, but as soon as i replug the second monitor in, it starts flashing again. I got the point where i got my catalyst software open and to the desktop managment section open. i noticed that everytime it flashed the secondary monitor was appearing in the list and then dissappearing again. Quite annoying.

Ive tried reinstalling video drivers & swapping monitors but no luck. Like i said, it only does this flash thing when i come in the morning…but not during the day when it sleeps (like say when i come back from lunch and my monitors are blank).

This (and the network thing) are EXTREMELY annoying. I’ve been spending the first 30 mins or so everyday to just get into my computer.

Any ideas out there? could this be a bad pci-e port on my new motherboard? i cant imagine its the vid card or monitors since it only started when i swapped out my motherboards. FYI my motherboard is the Gigabyte p67a-ud3-b3, my vid card is the Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 and im running Win7 64bit Pro.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Well to me it seems you have to start from scratch again. When I put a Rig together everything is new, including the Case. So I start with the basic POST, installing the basic hardware and working my way up till all the hardware is configured properly. I have a workbench in my Garage that has Internet, Power, and a Monitor. So I think you have to take a route like this to find the problem. :cool:

From what your describing it sounds like a driver and monitor problem in that the driver can’t recognize which monitor is the primary and secondary monitor and sending out mixed signals. So I would say reseat the GPU and uninstall and reinstall the latest catalyst driver and see if that doesn’t fix the problem. But if your rig worked before with the same setup it should worked with the same hardware. So when you switched motherboard did you use the same hardware with original setups or a totally new fresh install for the new motherboard and it’s correct drivers? You didn’t say what you did when you swapped the motherboards out??? We need a run down of what you did after the swap and what happened to cause you to swap to the new motherboard?? But if the Video problem persists still after fresh motherboard driver and GPU driver install there a likely chance our GPU is no longer working correctly and is on it’s way out. That would be my second guess of what is happening in your system.

So this is a driver issue like coolcolors what getting at. If you have no luck with the latest drivers and doing your best to configure everything in the control center, then I think you should submit a request or open a service ticket or whatever with AMD.

Edit: And also to point out you will save electricity if you just run your virus scans in the background during the day time, your Sandy Bridge is plenty fast to do lots of multitasking. If you don’t care about saving a few bucks a year for your businesses electric bill then think of it as a way to green-up your work habits and use less fossil fuels to make that electricity.

yes. my rig worked great before the motherboard swap. i had to swap it out because of the Sandy Bridge recall…something about the sata ports failing over time. I didnt do a full reinstall simply because i couldnt risk the down time at work and figured (& was also told by a few members here) that i should be fine since in essence its the same motherboard.

as far as new drivers, win7 just sort of installed all new drivers by itself. once it was done it just restarted. everything seemed fine tho… i guess not afterall. i am going to try to start with reseating my vid card… and see what happens… i find it hard to believe the vid card is bad tho since it was fine before. i already reinstalled new vid drivers too. the only thing i could think of for the vid card would be bad port on the new motherboard.

also, before i mentioned that it only happens in the morning when i come in… just got back from lunch and the monitors were doing the same thing… so its not a overnight issue anymore… seems to be everytime the monitors go to sleep now… super!

thanks in advance…

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2585572]I didnt do a full reinstall simply because i couldnt risk the down time at work[/QUOTE]

This is why your having the problem your having now. You tried to avoid doing the proper install and now your having real down time on your computer when you could’ve avoided this in the first place. Also by reinstall the O/S and drivers you might have seen if there was a problem and gotten it fixed sooner as well.

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2585572]I didnt do a full reinstall simply because i couldnt risk the down time at work and figured (& was also told by a few members here) that i should be fine since in essence its the same motherboard.[/QUOTE]

That is the worst advice to give to anyone when you swap motherboards you have to reinstall the correct drivers for the new motherboard and that means reinstall of the O/S and drivers. No one motherboard is the same even if you swap out since the sandy bridge was the reason that would imply you need to reinstall the O/S and drivers.

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2585572]as far as new drivers, win7 just sort of installed all new drivers by itself. once it was done it just restarted. everything seemed fine tho… i guess not afterall. i am going to try to start with reseating my vid card… and see what happens… i find it hard to believe the vid card is bad tho since it was fine before. i already reinstalled new vid drivers too. the only thing i could think of for the vid card would be bad port on the new motherboard.[/QUOTE]

Believe me you might think it is fine but not reinstalling the O/S fresh and drivers again your asking for problem and your seeing one impact of the problem visually right now.

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2585572]also, before i mentioned that it only happens in the morning when i come in… just got back from lunch and the monitors were doing the same thing… so its not a overnight issue anymore… seems to be everytime the monitors go to sleep now… super!

thanks in advance…[/QUOTE]

This is why it is important to always backup your data and files your created and reinstall your O/S and drivers and your custom software to properly secure that your computer is up and running correctly. Doing what you did is something I always tell people never do cause you will never be able to properly diagnosis the problem since the O/S was installed for another motherboard and not your current one thus leading to unknown hardware problems as your having now.