Monitor goes off in a second!

vbimport

Hi

When i turn my monitor on it lights up but only for a second then the screen shows dull display, when i looked harder at the screen the desktop screen is there but there is no light. If i turn my monitor off then on again, the display last again only for 1 seconds.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks

Did it work before or is this a new (or used) monitor? Have you recently moved your computer. Are you using a tower PC type or is this a laptop?

[B]If it´s not a laptop[/B]:
I think you should first check all connections…unplug each cable including the power, and put them carefully back…wriggle them a bit to make sure they are properly seated.

If that doesn´t fix it:
Take your computer to a friend, or borrow a monitor from someone. Try plugging your computer into the other monitor…this way you can test if there is a problem in the computer or if your monitor is causing the problem.

If it´s your monitor then it may be dead or dying…i.e. time for a new one.

Let us know what happens.
Good luck.

[QUOTE=deanimator;2575487]Did it work before or is this a new (or used) monitor? Have you recently moved your computer. Are you using a tower PC type or is this a laptop?

[B]If it´s not a laptop[/B]:
I think you should first check all connections…unplug each cable including the power, and put them carefully back…wriggle them a bit to make sure they are properly seated.[/QUOTE]

:iagree: - my old LG monitor had slightly wonky connections, and you only had to jog it slightly for it to lose the signal. So that’s definitely worth checking first.

[QUOTE=Hashashin;2575484]Hi

When i turn my monitor on it lights up but only for a second then the screen shows dull display, when i looked harder at the screen the desktop screen is there but there is no light. If i turn my monitor off then on again, the display last again only for 1 seconds.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks[/QUOTE]

Since there is no make or model or desktop or laptop it will be hard to even know what is going to diagnosis the monitor. So we will need alot more info from your vague description monitor problem.

Sounds like the back-light is bad, or the circuit driving it has issues. I’d do all the steps suggested and make sure it’s the monitor then you can decide if it’s worth trying to fix or not. You can find replacement back-lights on Ebay and other places but if it’s not the light itself or you don’t have any experience soldering and working on electronics it’s probably faster and cheaper to get a good deal on a new monitor.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2575568]Sounds like the back-light is bad, or the circuit driving it has issues. I’d do all the steps suggested and make sure it’s the monitor then you can decide if it’s worth trying to fix or not. You can find replacement back-lights on Ebay and other places but if it’s not the light itself or you don’t have any experience soldering and working on electronics it’s probably faster and cheaper to get a good deal on a new monitor.[/QUOTE]

On a notebook computer it’s more usually the “inverter board” that has failed.

the inverter board" is the power supply for the cold cathode Flourescent backlight.

If you do a search on ebay for “inverter board”, "your Notebook model"
you’ll likely find a dozen people selling them

If it’s a desktop LCD monitor try another EXTERNAL power supply and if that isn’t it I’d start monitor shopping.

When your old one is already dead is the perfect time to shop for a bigger monitor.

AD

Hi, i tried another monitor and its working properly,anyway its not a laptop its a desktop.

thanks

Any help is appreciated

[QUOTE=Hashashin;2575621]Hi, i tried another monitor and its working properly…[/QUOTE]
Well, there you go…that´s half the answer already. You could try another power supply for your monitor as AllanDeGroot suggested, but if you can´t get one, you´ll save a lot of time and sweat by just heading down to Dick Smith and picking up a new one. They´re not so expensive. click here :cool:

[QUOTE=Hashashin;2575621]…anyway its not a laptop its a desktop…[/QUOTE] Might have saved the members here some time by mentioning that in your first post, eh mate!

Perfect time for investing in a shiny new monitor I’d say. Good excuse for an upgrade. :wink: