ModernMix: Run Windows 8 Metro apps in the desktop

vbimport

ModernMix: Run Windows 8 Metro apps in the desktop.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2013/03/jYPekb.jpg[/newsimage]A new tool from Stardock allows you to run Metro applications directly from your desktop and in a Window...

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/modernmix-run-windows-8-metro-apps-in-the-desktop-66418/](http://www.myce.com/news/modernmix-run-windows-8-metro-apps-in-the-desktop-66418/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

This sounds pretty nice. I already use Decor8 from Stardock, which enables customizing the Metro start screen, and like it a lot.

[QUOTE=BradWright;2680263]This sounds pretty nice. I already use Decor8 from Stardock, which enables customizing the Metro start screen, and like it a lot.[/QUOTE] OK, I’ve downloaded and installed ModernMix, and it is pretty nice. I also have StartIsBack, which brings the Windows 7 Start menu back to the desktop interface, and also adds a Metro apps folder to the Start menu. So now with both ModernMix and StartIsBack, I have a Windows 7 Start menu, the Start menu has Metro apps in it, and when I launch a Meto app, it opens in a window on the desktop (not in Metro) that I can resize or minimize. So with these products (StartIsBack, Decor8, and ModernMix), I’m loving my Windows 8 computers, and for $11.00 per computer.

I hope someone from Microsoft reads this, as they very well may learn something, here. People hate being treated like idiots who can’t use technology unless it’s bright and colorful. Rather, people want customization so that they can “force” the computer to better meet their needs.

That said, when I talk about “customization” I realize there’s an equilibrium here, as too much customization leads to confusion, especially if the user is technologically challenged. However, I’m not really talking about hacking the registry, or making invasive modifications, I’m talking about things as simple as resizing an app, or moving it out of the way to allow the user to look at a different window, both of which are so easy to do on “old” desktop apps.

Of course, this proves once again that the nerds will generally get what they want, even if it means reversing the major decisions made by the ones responsible for producing the OS itself. Hackers find a way, which in instances like this, proves to be a good thing. Thank you, Stardock!

Then again, maybe this is irrelevant to me, since I have plenty of desktop apps, and don’t really need any not-metro crap.

They could simply read all the reviews on laptops and desktops…from users that either returned the computers or installed W7 in place of W8.

What irks me is that W7 will no longer be available? Soon?

But I digress…TSJnachos…+1.
I have been fooling around with Ubuntu, of course is it free but
with enough fooling around with it, one can make it do just about
anything needed.
So hopefully when all is said and done W8 can be manipulated
to run like earlier copies of Windows(including running all progs…that Vista/W7 can run).
This appears to be another add-on for a specific direction.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2680308]I hope someone from Microsoft reads this, as they very well may learn something, here. People hate being treated like idiots who can’t use technology unless it’s bright and colorful. Rather, people want customization so that they can “force” the computer to better meet their needs.
[/QUOTE]

Sadly, Microsoft’s Marketing is right on the money here. Just look at what inhabits any University Campus. Near brain dead zombies with what small part of their brains that actually functions, hardwired to their iCrap. They don’t know how things work and frankly neither care or can be bothered actually finding out. All they care about is “Shiney, Shiney, New, Shiney”! If Microsoft or Apple were to market Mardi Gras beads with their name on them, the youth of today would line up for days to buy them.

For we, dwindling few “Power Users” that actually have more than 2 functional grey cells, Microsoft and Apple could care less. Thus we turn our attention to any flavour of Linux. It’s stable, customizable and we don’t have to call Mother Microsoft to to reactivate our OS every time we change a video card or add memory.

OldDancer, don’t forget about the (usually older) people people who don’t know much about computers in general. They could just be getting introduced to a “good” version of Windows, such as XP or 7, and then get excited and buy a newer faster computer than whatever they’ve likely been borrowing. From there, they can’t do much more than stare at the screen and scratch their head, hoping there’s some magic button that gives them a “usable” interface back. In such an instance, Microsoft couldn’t be further off track if they tried.

Of course, you are absolutely right about the brain-dead iCrap addicts. As long as YouTube works, they really don’t give a crap, else wise they would most likely try to combat the Devil’sRightsMismanagement that controls their lives. But they’re too plugged in to cat videos to realize that’s what’s going on.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2680489]OldDancer, don’t forget about the (usually older) people people who don’t know much about computers in general. They could just be getting introduced to a “good” version of Windows, such as XP or 7, and then get excited and buy a newer faster computer than whatever they’ve likely been borrowing. From there, they can’t do much more than stare at the screen and scratch their head, hoping there’s some magic button that gives them a “usable” interface back. In such an instance, Microsoft couldn’t be further off track if they tried.

Of course, you are absolutely right about the brain-dead iCrap addicts. As long as YouTube works, they really don’t give a crap, else wise they would most likely try to combat the Devil’sRightsMismanagement that controls their lives. But they’re too plugged in to cat videos to realize that’s what’s going on.[/QUOTE]

+1.

I’ve tried to stay up on the latest things, because you never know when someone asks ‘how does this work?’ and I’m not Tech Support!!

I’ve dabbled a bit with Linux over the years. Maybe it’s time I’ll finally grab a copy, and let part of my Windows 8 PC be set up for Linux.

Linux Mint is nice, and is based on Ubuntu.
Ubuntu has gone all tabletty.

[QUOTE=BradWright;2680307]I’m loving my Windows 8 computers, and for $11.00 per computer.[/QUOTE]

Problem with this is why spend more money when it should be the user whom gets to setup if they use Desktop or Metro…A major FAIL …if you have to spend money just to fix/restore something that I like to have control with…

Take that calc and multiply it by thousands of computer and training required to relearn the usage switching from Metro usage to Desktop usage…and you start adding cost up and lost time…and you will see that is also a Major FAIL… as well…the over extreme but its a metaphor - food for thought…