Modders already fixing banned Xbox 360s

vbimport

I just posted the article Modders already fixing banned Xbox 360s.

It takes a bit of technical know-how to modify your Xbox 360 for unintended purposes, so it’s not surprising that modders have already devised ways to stop Microsoft’s anti-piracy measures.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/modders-already-fixing-banned-xbox-360s-22471/](http://www.myce.com/news/modders-already-fixing-banned-xbox-360s-22471/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Neither method is of any use. If you are banned after the Summer '09 update you can not unban yourself as stated.

Also the write protecting the NAND wont help after being banned either, it’s too late, the hard drive install certificates have been deleted.

Where are the certs? If they’re stored on the drive (as opposed to some special EEPROM area), wouldn’t taking a full backup of the drive at the start of the modding process resolve that? If you didn’t do that, you shot yourself in the foot. SID for the original XBOX won’t install the softmod until you backup the C: drive (and possibly the EEPROM - I should test on a fresh HDD).

There’s always been a general rule though, don’t connect a modded XBOX to Live.

I have no problem with them banning modded XBOXes from Live, but if they’re intentionally bricking them, they should be paying treble damages.

I did hear of one guy who got banned on an unmodded 360 where the DVD drive had been getting flaky. He eventaully opened it and found the cable wasn’t connected tight and the connection was intermittent. For Microsoft to ban someone over their own manufacturing defect is ridiculous. What happens when they start overheating? Do errors that occur while on Live get the console banned?

I think MS is ultimately setting themselves up for huge liability losses here.

On the original XBOX, the only sane way to use it is modded and with a big HDD. Since the DVD drive is proprietary and prone to failure, ripping all the games you play to the HDD allows you to greatly extend the life of the DVD drive. (Not to mention greatly reducing load time)

I think MS is ultimately setting themselves up for huge liability losses here.

MS pays these losses everyday, maybe not in XBox related claims but in anti trust violations and many other aspects of their business, its really not a big deal to them. I feel worse for the poor kid that got banned for having a faulty XBox and did nothing wrong.

You can’t unban yourself but if you haven’t been banned you can by creating a backup of your nand or write protecting the nand before you connect to live, then if you get banned you can stop you console getting gimped. Like effbee said though, you need to do this before being banned, after being banned is too late.

Why use an Xbox? its microsoft and playstation 3 is better. but then I’m a PC gamer anyway!!
Microsoft still working on the remote control for PC, not doing to well at it yet but give em time.

[QUOTE=Jedi Master Yoda;2467134]You can’t unban yourself but if you haven’t been banned you can by creating a backup of your nand or write protecting the nand before you connect to live, then if you get banned you can stop you console getting gimped. Like effbee said though, you need to do this before being banned, after being banned is too late.[/QUOTE]

exactly… because once you update your dashboard to a fairly recent version it stops any exploits people are using. which basically means if you get banned recently your already running a new dashboard, hence no way to unban it etc etc.

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EkVlEyulykdwQBVSqd.php … talks about THE FACTS of unbanning from Xbox-Live for those who care.

Why use an Xbox? its microsoft and playstation 3 is better.

PS3 is only better in my opinion if you want a reliable console… if you want a console with better games then the XBox360 is the better choice overall.