Modded PS2: PS1 Backup Reading Problem

vbimport

Hello,

I recently modded my PS2 (v7) and thought that now I can start backing up my PSX originals. So far I was using Verbatim (TY) cds burned @40x with my Philips 1640 and I didn’t notice any problems, until i decided to make a copy of Valkyrie Profile…

The cd seems to be ok when I test it with nero cd/dvd speed (score: 97), however the game often hangs up while trying to load from the cd (when changing locations for example). When this happens, I can hear my PS2 trying to load and then spinning the disk to an insane speed then slowing down & repeating this forever … I don’t have this issue with the original.

I’m not sure if it’s my PS2 laser or my DVD Burner, I already tried burning on slower speed, but then the cinematics become choppy D:

I tried burning with Alcohol 120% and Nero 6, same result.
Any idea what the reason for that is?

Sounds like a lens problem.

Try cleaning your laser with a CD Lens Cleaner. Note that it must be a CD Lens Cleaner and [I]not[/I] a DVD lens Cleaner.

Hmm, the problem is, I can’t open my PS2 because they have placed a “guarantee label” on one of the screws… I saw some Cleaner CDs that have brushes on their surface, could I use that one to clean my lens? Or should I call the shop that modded my PS2 and tell them to clean the lens for me? <.<

Do you get pass the PS1 Logo?
//Danne

Yes, as long as it says on the disc “CD Lens Cleaner”.

Chronosphere,

When backing up PS1 games there’s a golden rule always burn them at 8x speed (this has to do with the disc info reading by the laser on the console system).
Which dvdrw burner do you have ?

Regards,

Solveprogramissue :slight_smile:

My last PSX Backup burned @8x ended up nailed on the wall :stuck_out_tongue:
I don’t know if my burner is capable of making good scans, but the cds burned @ lower speeds get a lower score in the nero cd/dvd speed quality test

Which dvdrw burner do you have ?
Philips 1640P, Firmware 3.7

The PS2 has no problems with other PSX backups or PS2 backups.
My ancient PSX can read this CD correctly w/o any hangups etc, so it shouldnt be the cd either, unless the PS2 has a more sensitive laser/system than the PSX.

I found an info on the net saying that Valkyrie Profile is very sensitive when it comes to scratches - my original doesn’t seem to have any, but maybe if it’s so sensitive to scratches then it also is sensitive to any bad data on the disc itself?

I tried using the CD-rom lens cleaner cd, but it didn’t change anything.

Uhm. I don’t see an edit button feels blind
Anyway, I tried burning this cd @8x, same result wonders how many cd’s he has to waste till it works

And yes, DiiZzy, I get pass the PS1 logo. It hangs up ingame, for example when loading a savegame of a specific location.

Quote: Philips 1640P, Firmware 3.7

The PS2 has no problems with other PSX backups or PS2 backups.
My ancient PSX can read this CD correctly w/o any hangups etc, so it shouldnt be the cd either, unless the PS2 has a more sensitive laser/system than the PSX.

I found an info on the net saying that Valkyrie Profile is very sensitive when it comes to scratches - my original doesn’t seem to have any, but maybe if it’s so sensitive to scratches then it also is sensitive to any bad data on the disc itself?

I tried using the CD-rom lens cleaner cd, but it didn’t change anything.

Reply:
Chronosphere,

Then its your DVDRW, Philips DVDRW have a serious compatibility problem with lots of disc media, they use explicit recommendations which disc media you should use. Try to check out on the manufacturers website or take an look at the hardware forums here on cdfreaks. (I used different burners in the past Liteon/Asus/Philips/Aopen/Plextor etc.) but the best is at the moment still an NEC DVRW and an Liteonit or Toshiba DVDROM, they also have lots of firmware updates by Liggy and Dee. Use them in combination with either Platinum or Verbatim media, backup & burn games on cd at 8x and games/movies on dvd at 4 or either 8x speed and you’re set to go. I never had any problems. If you are able to afford, this is an golden advice. Hope this might help you.

Greetings,

Solveprogramissue

I doubt it’s my DVDRW, because [B]Valkyrie Profile is the only one that i cannot backup. All the other copies work fine[/B]. I think it’s my PS2, because it sometimes has problems / takes longer than it should to read the original PSX games (not VP). It was used in a dusty envionment for some months and though I cleaned it after that, it might have affected the laser <.<

I gave up on trying to play VP on my PS2, since my PSX can read it better.
Thanks for the help.