Mobo Bus Speed and HDD

I have tried to change the clock rate of a motherboard on two ocasions. Both times before any expected stability problems it caused trouble with the HDD.

First I overclocked an Intel 440LX from 100 to 133 MHz and the HDD was corrupted upon next boot, back at 100 megs. Now I tried to downclock a superhot Pentium 4 by going 133 -> 100. The connected HDD (another one, sata) was undetectable by BIOS.

Both systems still work properly at original megahertz.

Is this normal?

[QUOTE=J7N;1921343]I have tried to change the clock rate of a motherboard on two ocasions. Both times before any expected stability problems it caused trouble with the HDD.

First I overclocked an Intel 440LX from 100 to 133 MHz and the HDD was corrupted upon next boot, back at 100 megs. Now I tried to downclock a superhot Pentium 4 by going 133 -> 100. The connected HDD (another one, sata) was undetectable by BIOS.

Both systems still work properly at original megahertz.

Is this normal?[/QUOTE]
In order to change clock speeds, a motherboard must be able to lock the PCI bus speed. Some do and some don’t, but it requires a setting in BIOS. SATA drives are more prone to this than others, assuming your SATA controller is on the PCI bus which is undoubtedly is. Nothing you can do about it other than locking the bus speed. Even if you get it to work, corruption can rear it’s ugly head at any time.

This makes sense.