Mobile broadband help please

Hi
I’m looking into finding a cheap pc for my brother. He will need mobile broadband because he doesn’t have a phone line (he lives with our parents as carer and dad refuses to have a BT line).

I have normal hardwired broadband, so I dont know much about mobile broadband, but from what i understand you just plug it in your pc and go.

what i need to know is…is there any minimum pc specs he will need to run the mobile broadband?

TIA

Hi,

there is nothing special with mobile Internet. In case one of these USB devices is used, the computer must have a USB 2.0 HiSpeed controller. Many Huawei devices work with Windows from Win2000, MacOS and several flavours of Linux.

This might be different with devices from other manufacturers.

Michael

thank you.

one question. he’s decided to go for PAYG mobile broadband (cos he’s useless with money lol) and i notice they say you “top them up”

does anyone know how this works exactly? its just he has no bank account for direct debits, so if it has to be linked to a bank account, its a no go

Hi,

I have no idea if there are prepaid “contracts” available in your country. This would be an option. You (or better your brother) may have a very careful look into the terms and conditions of the provider chosen.

Here in germany, even flat rates (from 15€ for 30 days) are available, but they drop speed to 64kBit/sec after a volume of 5 GB is exceeded. So, mobile internet is not suited for massive data transfer.

Michael

he only wants it for surfing the net, really. he cant afford to pay for a years worth or anything and he doesnt think he’ll use enough to be worth paying £15 a month.

I found this:
http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-broadband-plans/top-up-and-go-1gb?dependantSkuIds=sku690026
15 GBP for 1 GB. Not cheap compared to german prices, but I have no idea about the price level in UK.

You may check other phone companies if they have similar or even better offers.

Michael

thats the oine he wants to go with. £39 for the adaptor loaded with £15 of credit. i just wondered how they wud be “topped up” in the uk? wud it be like mobile phones, with a voucher or swipe card?

Hi,[QUOTE=RandyRos;2410274]thats the oine he wants to go with. £39 for the adaptor loaded with £15 of credit. i just wondered how they wud be “topped up” in the uk? wud it be like mobile phones, with a voucher or swipe card?[/QUOTE]I guess, it would be something like that. But I strongly suggest to go to a Vodafone shop and ask them all questions you want to have answered. I personally can only speculate.

Michael