MKV files

Hello, I guess this is a newbee question I need help with. What are MKV files. It seems everyone is useing them. When I use them the soundtrack is never in sync with rest of the files. Can I convert them to AVI or DVD files with the sync correct and how. Thanks for the help.:confused:

Mkv is a type of container for various video and audio codecs. You can use mpeg, h264, VC-1, xvid, and many other forms of video within the mkv file, and of course there are many types of audio that will work within it as well.

So, when you talk about mkv files, you need to know exactly what is within them, just as avi files can have many different codecs.

The most commonly used codecs in mkv files are H264 video, and either AAC or AC3 audio. Mkv files can also have subtitle streams. You can find out exactly what is within the mkv file by using MediaInfo; just be careful not to install any “extras” when installing MediaInfo, because it does come with some crapware browser bar that you have to avoid putting into your system. The Tree and Text views within MediaInfo are the most informative.

It is possible to convert mkv to other formats, but if they are already out of sync in the original mkv file, conversion to dvd or avi won’t fix this on its own.

It is possible to demux (separate the audio and video streams), then remux them back into an mkv file and adjust the audio/video synchronization. This isn’t particularly simple, and you would need to know the amount of adjustment necessary. You could probably do this with an older version of AviDemux (version 2.5), and it can be done using mkvtoolnix and mkvcleaver or mkvextractgui2, though this second way of doing it doesn’t give you a clear understanding of how much adjustment is necessary.

Kerry56,
Thanks for the quick response. Now I know where to start. Thanks again.:smiley:

Many computer media players allow you to sync the files at playback time too. MPC-HC does for sure and I believe VLC can also.

I downloaded Media Info and they are matroska files.Can I convert these to DVD files with good results? Thanks olyteddy.

As I said before, if the files are not in sync before conversion to dvd-video, then they are liable to be out of sync afterwards. Conversion may not help at all.

If you want to try it, you can use AVStoDVD to convert to dvd-video. Make certain to set AVStoDVD correctly for your region…if you are in the US or Canda, you need to make NTSC compatible dvd-video. If you are from Europe or most of the rest of the world, you’ll need PAL standard video. You should also use HCenc as the encoder…using a two pass encode.

To import a mkv file into the program, use the green + sign in the main window of AVStoDVD.

I think all .mkvs are matroska .
What is the video & audio of your .mkv ?
Like Kerry posted if it is out of sync already then converting it will only help if the conversion program adjusts the sync.
Try to time the amount your video is out of sync by watching it & using your computers clock . That should get you close .
For freeware I think AviDemux is your best bet for syncing the audio.

[QUOTE=swampwizard;2670718]Hello, I guess this is a newbee question I need help with. What are MKV files. It seems everyone is useing them. When I use them the soundtrack is never in sync with rest of the files. Can I convert them to AVI or DVD files with the sync correct and how. Thanks for the help.:confused:[/QUOTE]

.mkv = Matroska

More info can be found about it here.

As I understand it, the reason for this format’s popularity is because it’s open source and because you can stick a bunch of different sound and subtitle files in it.

The audio being out of sync more than likely has to do with the way the file was created from its original source material. Often because somebody did a rip directly from the original source without first backing it up to their computer. There can be lag between the device which accounts for the audio being out of sync if it isn’t backed up to the computer first.