MKM001 and MKM003 DL Verbatim - Singapore, opinions, comparisons and findings?

vbimport

I have been doing a few comparisons myself using Kprobe, as I recently got hold of an external Samsung SE-S204N, which means I can now burn the MKM001 at 4X. Previously my SH-182D wouldn’t allow overburn.

Anyway, from my previous burns and scan findings, I usually get 15-20 PI max on both the MKM001 and MKM003 at 4X. So now that I have a drive in which I can burn at 4X, I’m starting to wonder if the MKM001 might actually be the better option for me. I only burn at 4X, so I’m curious to know if anyone has any opinions on the lifespan and possible deterioration of the two discs? And basically, the general quality of the two different media? Are they equal, aside from proposed burn speed?

I ended up buying a huge batch of about 175 MKM003 a few months ago, as I found the 2.4X speed on my old Sammy way too slow, but now that I have the drive which can overburn, I’m wondering if I would have been better off with a batch of MKM001.

Either way, these MKM discs are magic. I have burnt close to 150, and never had a coaster :smiley: :cool:

I feel that the lifespan of the two should be pretty equal, even if you do over[B]speed[/B] the MKM 001 [overburning is a different thing ;)].

MKM 001 was supported up to 8x in some drives, and people still overspeed it to 6x and 8x [sometimes using the MKM 003 strategy] with few ill results. It can cope with 4x easily, and should be a sweet spot for you on both drives.

MKM 003 does fairly well up to 10x [and, in some specific cases, 12x] with burning quality. 4x is about the lowest you can go before you run into the territory of wasting time for no gain in quality [or a potential loss in quality]. Since the disc is designed for higher writing speeds, I’d experiment with 6x in the newer Samsung; it should be fine and shave a few minutes off the overall burn time.

General build & burn quality between the two is pretty similar, IMO. As long as you have more recent drives, MKM 003 is a worthwhile investment for use [and your drives should do fine with the MKM 003 disc model]. There’s really not much of a reason to specifically get MKM 001 over MKM 003 for you.

As far as deterioration, I haven’t heard too many reports of either disc model degrading horribly fast. There are a few reports of unreadable discs, but I haven’t had much of an issue with either degrading on me. These will definitely not last forever [every recordable disc has its strengths and weaknesses regarding longevity], but they should last long enough for us to recover the data stored on them and move on to the next big removable storage medium. :bigsmile:

MKM 001 burns best at 4x. 2.4x doesn’t even count. The best and cleanest burns are at 4x, so you’re not overspeeding, you’re burning it at the speed it should be rated at.

Many of us don’t even bother with MKM 003, because it’s often too expensive, and MKM 001 does fine at 4x and 6x.

[QUOTE=Albert;2174540]As long as you have more recent drives, MKM 003 is a worthwhile investment for use [and your drives should do fine with the MKM 003 disc model]. There’s really not much of a reason to specifically get MKM 001 over MKM 003 for you.[/QUOTE]

Price/performance wise, MKM 003 is a waste of money unless you burn a lot of DL media, and need the extra speed. If you only burn a few DLs now and then, MKM 001 is the better choice because it’s much cheaper, and fast enough.

My $0.02: get what’s on sale.

[QUOTE=tropic;2175030]My $0.02: get what’s on sale.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Both 2.4x and 8x are the same price here in Germany now, and 2.4x are starting to disappear.

[QUOTE=tropic;2175030]My $0.02: get what’s on sale.[/QUOTE]

In the states, MKM 003 goes on sale much less frequently than MKM 001, so MKM 001 is almost always available much cheaper.

[QUOTE=Womi;2175031]Exactly. Both 2.4x and 8x are the same price here in Germany now, and 2.4x are starting to disappear.[/QUOTE]

So, has 8x gotten cheaper, or 2.4x gotten more expensive? If 2.4x disappeared in the states, that would mean the price for DL had gone up.

[QUOTE=negritude;2175219]So, has 8x gotten cheaper, or 2.4x gotten more expensive? If 2.4x disappeared in the states, that would mean the price for DL had gone up.[/QUOTE]

They’ve gotten quite a bit cheaper here.