Hey folks,

I’m running :

• Vista Ultimate

• Pentium 4 @ 3.20 Ghz

• 4 GB Ram

• Nero 8.3.6.0

Burner #1 - HP DVD Writer 640b ATA Device
Burner #2 - SONY DVD RW DRU-820A ATA Device

I’ve had nothing but coasters when it comes to burning DL. I’ve tried Playo discs (BIG mistake!), Memorex DVD+R DL (Ritek S04) which didn’t work out either…

I’ve heard so many rave reviews about Verbatim DVD+R DL (Made in Singapore) (MKM 003) so I bought those and STILL I’m burning coasters. :doh:
My hard drive has been defragmented and it’s not like I’m running other programs while I’m burning.

So what gives? Why coasters? Can anybody help me through this, step by step?

What are you trying to burn? Data or an Image of something or something else? Either way I tend to use IMGburn as it’s just better than Nero for what I burn (data and images).

If that does not work, I’d try a different writer. Does the process stop halfway through or something, or just won’t begin?

Define what a coaster is. Some people think a burn is a coaster if it “scans” with high errors in a quality scanning program. Others consider it an error when it won’t work in the DVD player etc.

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2119495]What are you trying to burn? Data or an Image of something or something else? Either way I tend to use IMGburn as it’s just better than Nero for what I burn (data and images).

If that does not work, I’d try a different writer. Does the process stop halfway through or something, or just won’t begin?

Define what a coaster is. Some people think a burn is a coaster if it “scans” with high errors in a quality scanning program. Others consider it an error when it won’t work in the DVD player etc.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the lack of information. When I posted this I was a little ticked off and in my haste I wasn’t clear.

It will burn properly (no errors), however it won’t load in my standalone DVD player nor will it play on my PC.

As a matter of fact, I posted the details here (in a different post):

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f48/first-time-ive-ever-encountered-type-situation-251438/

I’m trying to burn video content, using Nero Vision 5. At first I thought it was one of the templates I downloaded from Nero’s website. But after trying a different template, I still had the same problems.

On the standalone DVD player, it just won’t load.

On the PC, you get the menu, but when you select an episode the animated menu starts and the selected screen which contains your desired episode moves towards you (the viewer) at which point the episode SHOULD begin. Instead, after the selected window moves towards you it continually loops the animated menu. :sad:

id say a diff burner might do it

hm, I doubt this is a burner or media problem.
Sounds just like faulty DVD authoring.

[QUOTE=marcus_667;2119663]id say a diff burner might do it[/QUOTE]

But if it’s a burner issue, why do my 4.7 GB discs work out great?
I don’t think it’s a burner issue.

I’m starting to think it’s a Nero issue.

Can you recommend another burning program that will burn AVI’s, DIVX, MPEGS, etc. to DL media?
I’d like to try something new now.

[QUOTE=Womi;2119668]hm, I doubt this is a burner or media problem.
Sounds just like faulty DVD authoring.[/QUOTE]

I think you might be right. I’d like to think I’ve played with the variables to a fair degree :

1. Changed media types from Memorex DVD+R DL (Ritek S04) to Verbatim DVD+R DL (MKM 003).

2. Defragmented hard drive

3. Did NOT multi-task while burning & even disabled screensaver, ensuring all available resources are available.

4. Uninstalled & reinstalled Nero 8.3.6.0 (Legit copy; not cracked so I know it’s a clean copy).

I know my PC is not top of the of line, but I’d like to think that a Pentium 4 @ 3.20 Ghz w/ 4 GB of Ram could handle a simple task like burning a DVD. :stuck_out_tongue:

The funny thing is, the Memorex DVD+R DL (Ritek S04) discs had one or two discs that resulted in burning errors. But at least I could attribute it to bad media. But what about the discs that didn’t have problems burning? That leads me to believe you’re right and that Nero (Vision 5 specifically) is the culprit.

Anyways…to make an already long story somewhat shorter, my standalone DVD player can play DivX. So as I’m typing this I’m also converting the AVI files to DivX format. I’m hoping to convert to DivX and try to do a simple data burn.

I’m crossing my fingers on this one. :cool:

If you still want a program to convert to DVD format, I’d suggest FAVC. Free to download and use. http://favcfavc.googlepages.com/
Since you are using Vista, you won’t need to download Net 2.0, but you’ll need to install AviSynth (there is a link at the download site).

Use the HC encoder that is included and you’ll get better results than Nero can provide. FAVC can be set up to burn automatically with ImgBurn, and I recommend using ImgBurn for dual layer burns anyway. Make sure to set your output to 7.95gb on the output if you are going to dual layer.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2120166]If you still want a program to convert to DVD format, I’d suggest FAVC. Free to download and use. http://favcfavc.googlepages.com/
Since you are using Vista, you won’t need to download Net 2.0, but you’ll need to install AviSynth (there is a link at the download site).

Use the HC encoder that is included and you’ll get better results than Nero can provide. FAVC can be set up to burn automatically with ImgBurn, and I recommend using ImgBurn for dual layer burns anyway. Make sure to set your output to 7.95gb on the output if you are going to dual layer.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll try that.

So anyways…I finally got a reply from Nero’s “technical support” department :rolleyes: :

[B]Dear Valued Customer,

thank you for your e-mail.

There are known problems with the menus in the latest version of Nero 8. Our development department is already working on these issues and I hope they will be fixed with the next update. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best Regards,

Nero Support[/B]

Hmmm… Another reason to use ImgBurn rather than Nero. :iagree:

[QUOTE=larc919;2120186]Hmmm… Another reason to use ImgBurn rather than Nero. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

Well,

I sent a reply within minutes of getting that e-mail (see below for my e-mail to them) but I already know the answer I’m going to get. :disagree:

[B]Thank you for your quick reply.

Seeing as how “There are known problems with the menus in the latest version of Nero 8”, I would like to know if I may apply for a refund. The product is defective. Clearly it’s not doing what it should.

If refunds are not an option, what is your company willing to do to satisfy customers? A free update perhaps?

Please let me know as soon as possible.[/B]

ImgBurn. I guess the best things in life [I][B]are[/B][/I] free.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2120166]If you still want a program to convert to DVD format, I’d suggest FAVC. Free to download and use. http://favcfavc.googlepages.com/

Use the HC encoder that is included and you’ll get better results than Nero can provide. FAVC can be set up to burn automatically with ImgBurn, and I recommend using ImgBurn for dual layer burns anyway. Make sure to set your output to 7.95gb on the output if you are going to dual layer.[/QUOTE]

Kerry56…

Since I purchased all this expensive DL media (and had numerous coasters produced) not to mention shelling out close to $100 on Nero (what a rip-off) your advice was the best advice I’ve received yet! :iagree:

I took your advice and downloaded both FAVC & IMGBurn. Today was the FIRST time I was able to burn DL media successfully.

Kerry56 my hat’s off to you good sir. :bow:

Excellent to hear. Looks like it was all just crappy authoring from Nero.

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2120750]Excellent to hear. Looks like it was all just crappy authoring from Nero.[/QUOTE]

At the risk of sounding like a complete loon, I sent their customer service team an e-mail today requesting a full refund.

I know, I know…it ain’t gonna happen. But I had to try. I paid for something that is faulty, so I think I’m entitled to satisfaction.

On their support page, they have in big bold letters : Putting the customer first.

LOL. I still laugh whenever I read that. :smiley: