Mixing odd and Hdd drives on one IDE CABLE

vbimport

Hi everyone!
I’ve been frequenting these forums a lot lately, brushing up on somethings I don’t understand.

So here’s my new question:

Is it possible to Use one ide drive and one cable to connect two different types of drives.

For Instance, my asus p5k-e board only has one Ide and six sata ports. I have a few older hdd’s lying around and a few older dvd burners that still work that I’d like to use in my system.

Would it cause any problems to use my ide connector on my board to hook up a dvd burner and a hdd on the same ide cable?

Hi,

these newish Intel chipset boards don’t have integrated P-ATA controllers any more. So mainboard manufacturers are soldering 3rd party chips onto their mainboards. Very common are chips from Jmicron, which are difficult to handle if optical drives are connected.
That said, I would rather prefer a Silicon Image 680 based IDE controller along with SiI’s Base BIOS (in case the controller card is configured as Raid) to connect CD/DVD burners.

Apart from that, connecting a HDD and a burner on the same cable should work, although it is not very recommended.

Using inexpensive IDE–>SATA adapters, it is possible to hook up P-ATA HDDs to Sata connectors. I would not recommend such adapters for optical drives.

Michael

[quote=Jusdafide;2071306]Is it possible to Use one ide drive and one cable to connect two different types of drives.

For Instance, my asus p5k-e board only has one Ide and six sata ports. I have a few older hdd’s lying around and a few older dvd burners that still work that I’d like to use in my system.

Would it cause any problems to use my ide connector on my board to hook up a dvd burner and a hdd on the same ide cable?[/quote]
Yes, you can, but if you use the HDD & the optical drive at the same time, the HDD will be very slow because the optical drive is slow.

Optical drives commonly operate using UDMA2 or UDMA 4 (33MB/s or 66MB/s respectively). HDD’s commonly use UDMA5 or UDMA6 (100MB/s or 133MB/s respectively).

Because they use the same signal channel, the HDD will either be forced to wait for the optical drive to finish its (slow) transfer and then run the channel at high speed for the HDD transfer, or the HDD will be forced to drop back to the slower speeds.

The short answer is yes.
The more accurate answer is yes, but don’t use them at them at the same time :wink:

Cool. Thanks. You guys helped me decide against it. I just went ahead and installed a hdd only. I’ll just get one of those adapters for my other hdds I don’t wish to install and buy a sata burner.

PCI/PCI-E IDE cards sell for about $10-20.
Why not just buy one of those and keep everything you want? :slight_smile: