Mixed Mode CD

vbimport

I realize this is basically ancient history, but I was wondering how to accurately back up a mixed mode CD. I’m not referring to a CD Extra/Enhanced CD (data in session 2), but rather the kind of disc that has a single session with data in track 1, and tracks 2 onward are audio tracks.

I realize that many applications, Imgburn being one of them, can rip a full disc image and burn it as is. The problem with that is although the data track will be 1:1, the audio wouldn’t have any offset correction or secure ripping. That’s fine for a quick and dirty solution but that’s not archival.

The only results I’ve been able to find so far are the quick and dirty type solutions like I outlined above. Are there any other, more accurate approaches?

I don’t know but I hope someone does. I don’t have any CDs like yours to even test with.
I’m sure you already tried EAC.

I know you can’t if the files are .cda but if not maybe ImgBurn would selectively rip the files in build mode . Then you could create a cue from that .

Offset correction is a very minor adjustment anyway . Most people can’t hear the difference . "Exact copy " isn’t actually possible . Only another commercial pressed disc can have that & even they can vary some with later pressings.

Yeah, EAC is definitely fine for the audio portion. It’s the data part I’m not quite sure what to do with.

If I could rip a BIN of just the track 1 data, then I could easily compile my own CUE sheet using the BIN for the data, along with the audio tracks ripped from EAC, and burn that with Imgburn. The write offset wouldn’t be correct, but the end result would be pretty darn close to being correct since the source data would accurate due to the read offset correction, and secure mode ripping.

edit It’s ripping the data track, separately, as a BIN that I can use in a CUE sheet along with the WAV files from EAC that I don’t know how to do. Unless there’s a more elegant solution.

I’ve used CloneCD and Blindread for such discs.

Post if any of this works & what did.
I found you some information on the ImgBurn forum.

The link has information on creating a .CUE file with ImgBurn.

Most are from LIGHTNING UK! .

Start the program, click the ‘Create image file from files/folders’ button (Build mode).

Make sure the ‘Input’ mode is set to ‘Standard’ (menu at the top)

In “Source” Browse for the .BIN & .CUE files .

Add the drive letter of your optical drive to the ‘Source’ box (i.e. ‘D:’ - but without the quotes)

Pick a file name for the ‘Destination’ image file.

Click the big ‘Build’ button.

Once it has finished creating the image, burn it using Write mode.

From another thread:

Your CUE file for a single audio.raw track should look as follows:

REM SESSION 01  FILE "audio.raw" BINARY
TRACK 01 AUDIO          INDEX 01 00:00:00        
TRACK 02 AUDIO          INDEX 01 01:52:31        
TRACK 03 AUDIO          INDEX 01 02:32:56        
TRACK 04 AUDIO          INDEX 01 03:50:50        
TRACK 05 AUDIO          INDEX 01 04:09:53        
TRACK 06 AUDIO          INDEX 01 04:22:54        
TRACK 07 AUDIO          INDEX 01 04:31:55        
TRACK 08 AUDIO          INDEX 01 04:47:18  
REM LEAD-OUT 04:58:26REM SESSION 02  FILE "data.bin" BINARY 
TRACK 09 MODE2/2352          INDEX 01 00:00:00 

It uses the LEAD-OUT to know how much data there is in the last INDEX.

i.e. LEAD-OUT value - (minus) last INDEX value = size of INDEX.

Your LEAD-OUT value was smaller than the INDEX value and that’s why it didn’t work. It just meant the last index was calculated as having a size of 0.

I’ve added a check/prompt for such issues now - not that it should ever really be needed if the CUE files are created properly (i.e. by the software itself)

If the above doesn’t work this may be the way to do it:
From another thread:

The raw BIN file doesn’t contain enough info . You’d need to load the CUE file You can make ImgBurn output a CCD file (in the Tools/Settings on the Read tab " Image Layout File Format ").

Ok, so I looked at those suggestions and the first one would probably work, but it just builds an image file from the folder structure on that disc. It wouldn’t preserve any metadata that may be present in the data track. Sometimes I’m a bit of an irrational preservationist, and if it’s possible for me to get a more accurate result, I try to get there. The second one refers to burning a CD Extra and not a legacy Mixed Mode CD.

However, I did find a solution! I will outline what I did here so anybody happening upon this thread will at least have the same info I’m working with. Just for completion’s sake, I’ll include my steps for making a CD Extra as well in case somebody arrived here looking for that. My solution relies heavily on an old copy of Nero 6 that I forgot I had. I’ve been told that other software can provide similar functionality, like IsoBuster.

[B]Burning a Mixed Mode CD - [I]Single session disc with Mode1 data track as track 1[/I][/B]

1. Rip audio tracks using EAC
  2. Create .cue sheet
  3. In Nero 6, under Extras -> Save Tracks… Choose drive, and select only the data track, and then rip to .iso file
  4. Fire up your favourite text editor and edit the .cue sheet to fill in the gaps that EAC left for you. I did a bit of tweaking, and mine looks like this:

REM COMMENT "ExactAudioCopy v1.0b3"
FILE “Track No01.iso” BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2048
INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE “02 - Track02.wav” WAVE
TRACK 02 AUDIO
PREGAP 00:02:00
FILE “03 - Track03.wav” WAVE
TRACK 03 AUDIO
FILE “04 - Track04.wav” WAVE
TRACK 04 AUDIO
FILE “05 - Track05.wav” WAVE
TRACK 05 AUDIO
FILE “06 - Track06.wav” WAVE
TRACK 06 AUDIO
FILE “07 - Track07.wav” WAVE
TRACK 07 AUDIO
FILE “08 - Track08.wav” WAVE
TRACK 08 AUDIO
FILE “09 - Track09.wav” WAVE
TRACK 09 AUDIO
FILE “10 - Track10.wav” WAVE
TRACK 10 AUDIO
FILE “11 - Track11.wav” WAVE
TRACK 11 AUDIO

1. Burn with Imgburn and you’re done. I suspect that many applications can handle these Mixed Mode .cue sheets once they’ve been prepped. If anybody knows of any software that will burn Mixed Mode and honour the write offset, this is where you should chime in.

[B]Burning an Enhanced CD/CD Extra/CD Plus - [I]Multisession disc with Mode2/XA data track in session 2[/I][/B]

1. Rip audio tracks using EAC
  2. Create .cue sheet
  3. In Nero 6, under Extras -> Save Tracks… Choose drive, and select only the data track, and then rip to image file. I just left it in .nrg format for this task, as I will be coming back to Nero later.
  4. Text editor, strip out data track from .cue sheet
  5. Write .cue sheet with EAC. Make sure you choose “Leave CD open” for your close mode before you “Make It So”. (I’m told some drives don’t support this feature. It works with my Plextor PX-760A. Didn’t try the others yet.)
  6. Pop back into Nero, under Recorder -> Burn Image… select your image file from step 3. This will automatically default to Mode2/XA. Make sure “Finalize CD” is checked. Also, it will complain about the disc not being empty. Ignore the warning and proceed.
  7. You’re done.

I re-ripped the data track from the copied Enhanced CD, mounted it with DAEMON Tools Lite, and I was able to see the HFS file system in HFSExplorer, so it seems to have preserved the data track properly. I don’t have a Mac to test that.

I got some of my ideas from the linked threads below. You may want to check them out if you’re looking for more information. The first thread contains a more in-depth explanation of making an Enhanced CD using the same method as above. In the second thread, it shows how to use CDBurnerXP to add a data track to a multisession disc on the fly. Nero can also do this, but again, this does not preserve the metadata. For example, the HFS portion of the Hybrid HFS/ISO9660 Enhanced CD I used for my experiment above would have been lost.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=31989
http://club.myce.com/f61/cd-extra-using-cue-sheet-158138/

Have fun; I did.