Mitsubishi & Verbatim- are these same?

vbimport

Hello

Recently I got hold of few DVD-R media 16x-1x, which are labeled as Mitsubishi wit their registered logo. I have checked the Disc ID and found it to be same as that of Verbatim’s. These discs were given to me by my vendor as Verbatim discs were not available with him at that moment. Anyway, I burnt few of these discs, and did a post-burn analysis. The quality seems to be >=98%. I have also got hold of some discs labeled as “Verbatim” and burnt those too. I found the quality to be same. Here are two screen shots of PIPO scanning. All these discs were burnt using 8x speed. As ImgBurn can not be used for Data burning, for all these discs I have used NERO 8.

My question is: Are these two discs same? Because I never knew that Mitsubishi makes or markets blank DVDs in their own brand name!

Discs branded as Mitsubishi

Data type: Image file (ISO) of a video discs

Burner: LITEON DVDRW SHM 165H6S

Discs branded as Verbatim

Data type: Data DVD, AVI videos

Burner: ASUS SATA DRW 2014L1T

Burner: LITEON DVDRW SHM 165H6S

Please clear my doubt, 'cause if both are same, then I shall continue buying Mitsubishi DVDs without much worries.

One more scan result:

[B]Media: Mitsubishi[/B]
[B]Burner: ASUS DRW 2014L1T[/B]
[B]Data Type[/B]: ISO file created with ImgBurn. Burn speed 8x

Yep, the same. MCC media that are Mitsubishi branded are primarily sold in the Asian market (HK and South East Asia AFAIK) while Verbatims are sold globally (including Asia). As long as the label indicates Mitsubishi Kagaku Media Co., Ltd., it’s the same as Verbatims. You could also check if it’s authentic by comparing legit codes that have been discussed here in the Blank Media forum to determine if it’s CMC or Prodisc-manufactured.

I usually get Mitsubishi discs for my personal data backups, and all I’ve gotten (50pk spindles, right now about 350 discs total) are Prodisc-made - I’ve yet to see CMC-made Mitsubishi branded media. They’re good, cheaper by a bit as compared to Verbatim, but not as “simple” or “professional” in design as Verbatim discs. Otherwise, they’re one and the same.

I buy both Mitsubishi branded MCC and Verbatim branded MCC by the way. :wink:

Thank you for your reply.

I have just checked, around the center hole it is written [B]Mitsubishi Kagaku Media Co., Ltd.[/B]

You could also check if it’s authentic by comparing legit codes that have been discussed here in the Blank Media forum to determine if it’s CMC or Prodisc-manufactured.

[B]
Could you please be kind enough to tell me how exactly I can ascertain this (that is whether these are CMC ot Prodisc)? [/B]I am not really an expert on this field, moreover I have very recently started to find out about the qualities of the discs. Could you comment on the burn qualities?Can these be considered as satisfactory?

[QUOTE=arrirc;2150617]Thank you for your reply.

I have just checked, around the center hole it is written [B]Mitsubishi Kagaku Media Co., Ltd.[/B][/QUOTE]
Then you got the good stuff :cool:

“Verbatim” is a trading name for Mitsubishi Kagaku Media.
Though in some places you have to be careful, as “Mitsubishi” branding can also be used for products sold by Mitsubishi Electric, who outsource their media production to places that don’t use the AZO dye.

Here are a few older threads on codes and identification of MCC media.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/identifying-prodisc-cmc-verbatim-16x-175056/

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/lets-go-over-again-identifying-neo-verbatim-media-233102/?highlight=verbatim+codes

It’ll take a lil bit of brain power to get the hang of it, although once you understand the patterns of the code it’s gonna be like second nature. :wink:

Thanks for the tip and the links…today I bought two spindles each containing 10 Discs.

If High Lip means this http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/17-130-999-01.JPG, then both the 10 discs spindle packs look exactly like this, that is High Lip. Everything written on each of the boxes are in some East Asian language, most probably Japanese.

Well if its Mitsubishi from Japan you got then the lip as well as the fonts doesnt tell you where the Discs are made…
I have CMC made ones with low and tall lip cases and both have different fonts for the lock and open.
Only way to tell is the hubcode on the discs.

Are these the hub codes?
Inner ring: MAPA18LG29165269 <long blank space> 5

Outer ring can only be read while looking at the write side: ZD9471-DVR-J47F4

[QUOTE=arrirc;2151211]Are these the hub codes?
Inner ring: MAPA18LG29165269 <long blank space> 5

Outer ring can only be read while looking at the write side: ZD9471-DVR-J47F4[/QUOTE]

Exactly :slight_smile:
These are made by CMC in Taiwan.

[QUOTE=arrirc;2151211]Are these the hub codes?
Inner ring: MAPA18LG29165269 <long blank space> 5[/QUOTE]

Yep. The MAPA part is what you’re looking for with DVD-R disks (sometimes it may start with MAP6 or MAP7).

You’ve got genuine disks manufactured for Mitsubishi/Verbatim by CMC. :iagree:

If you ever happen to buy DVD+R disks, then those will have codes that start with PAPA or PAP6, if they are manufactured by CMC.

There are other codes as well, which are different for each company that Mitsubishi/Verbatim outsources to, but I wouldn’t worry about those right now.

Thank you very much friends…its really great feeling to discover something new :slight_smile:

I bought two spindles yesterday and I shall continue buying :slight_smile:

Just for curiosity- the following codes are from my friend’s disc which are branded as Verbatim and bought from the same vendor. Are these Prodisc manufactured?

Outer ring:

Inner ring: 7279 541 -RF A26473

[QUOTE=arrirc;2151372]Thank you very much friends…its really great feeling to discover something new :slight_smile:

I bought two spindles yesterday and I shall continue buying :slight_smile:

Just for curiosity- the following codes are from my friend’s disc which are branded as Verbatim and bought from the same vendor. Are these Prodisc manufactured?

Outer ring:

Inner ring: 7279 541 -RF A26473[/QUOTE]

Where were the disks made? India? China? That’s not a Prodisc code.

[QUOTE=arrirc;2151372]Inner ring: 7279 541 -RF A26473[/QUOTE]

Made in India by Moser Baer :wink:

Just to also point out - don’t follow the quality score ratings. They are false ways to judge media. The Mitsubishi discs seem to be of higher quality judging by the scans. The two Verbatim branded discs you scanned show large amounts of PIF, which is not good.

Stick to these Mitsubishi discs, they seem to work well with your drive.

[QUOTE=Womi;2151435]Made in India by Moser Baer ;)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2151450]Just to also point out - don’t follow the quality score ratings. They are false ways to judge media. The Mitsubishi discs seem to be of higher quality judging by the scans. The two Verbatim branded discs you scanned show large amounts of PIF, which is not good.

Stick to these Mitsubishi discs, they seem to work well with your drive.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestions :slight_smile:
I have read in this forum how poor the quality is of the Mosearbear made Discs of Verbatim brand.

I have a little more doubt. In another forum where I have posted this question first, one of the esteemed and experienced member there told me that all the burns are of poor quality but the first burn with LiteOn. he suggested that I should update the Firmware or check if the DMA is available. As the ASUS burner is a SATAII interface drive, I think there is no question of DMA for that, and for the LiteOn, which is IDE, I think DMA is enabled. I checked the Device Manager.

Here are some screen shots:

Please note that I use [B]ASUS P5B-VM[/B] motherboard which [B]has only 1 IDE[/B] channel.

[B]So why are the burn qualities bad and how can these be improved?[/B]

[QUOTE=arrirc;2151543]Thanks for the suggestions :)I have a little more doubt… [B]So why are the burn qualities bad and how can these be improved?[/B][/QUOTE]

IMHO they’re decent but not really bad - and considering that the first disc has only about half the data of the second, the first would probably look similar to the second when filled to the edge of the disc. I would agree on the lower quality scans of the Verbatims (4th and 5th scans) as the total PIFs are too high for the expected quality from this kind of media (>3000 :Z), but scans are not everything as many people would say - another scan from a different drive might even yield better (or worse) results. I don’t know what standards that guy has, but if it’s always close to perfect, I’d like to know what setup he has. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would agree however, that for some reason the Mitsubishi discs you have burn better than the Verbatims on your ASUS writer, and that you have everything set up correctly - there are no settings needed for SATA and your Liteon is indeed operating at the highest DMA setting possible for your writer. I wouldn’t worry about the Mitsubishi MCC03RG20 (have you seen the scans of recent batches of MCC03RG20 in this forum? - normally >50k+ total PIE!) although I’d be wary of using that certain batch of Verbatim discs…

Thank you so much evo69- really. I was quite worried as this is the first time I am opting for these high quality (and hence pricey) media. Secondly, what worries me most is that the ASUS DRW2014L1T is a new drive. Hence I was thinking of taking it back to the vendor for support perceiving that it is malfunctioning. :rolleyes: :confused:

BTW, does a burning software really matters as far as burn quality is in question?