Mitsubishi Chemicals DVD+R

vbimport

Unfortunately the above drives are no longer available. I always keep an eye for used drives that show up in the local market, but so far without much luck. I do have a NEC ND-3550A, but as I don’t see this model in the list, I suppose it is not a “GOOD” drive?

That is a very good drive, I think those old NECs were excellent burners. The NEC section should be “ND-3500A up to ND-4571A”, my bad. Some models had minor issues, but any one of them is going to beat new drives hands down in build quality.

The servo/tray/housing design that allows for more stable spinning of discs, better designed electronics and cleaner power delivery are hardware features that make these drives desirable, and they are the main drawbacks in modern drive designs which are made with only low cost in mind. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t get a perfect burn the first time, the drive is old and the write strategies are dated. Just fire up your MCSE and try a few different MIDs to see what works best on your particular batch. In my case I was able to reduce jitter by over 2% and achieve better error rates on my Samsung SH-S203B by choosing the MBIPG101 R05 strategy which had similar AZO dye formulation so I recommend you try that first.

You do a lot of things right, you scan your discs, you burn them at moderate speeds and you seem to attempt to find quality media, but my opinion is that it is your burner choices that are limiting your write quality performance the most right now. You need to begin with a drive that was built with quality in mind, from an era when market factors allowed it which is what I based my list on and is the reason that all of the drives on it are out of production now.

As of right now, any one of the drives I listed can be had on ebay for less than $30 shipped (except the Plextors), and there is no shortage of supply.

I have a ND-3540A which is a good drive with a lot of media.

But actual MCC-media can´t be compared with the begin of the 16x-era.

If I scan PI/PIF with LiteOn the NEC is a bit better than the LG GH24NSxx but LG have much better Jitter. Also to mention, LG burn em 16x, my NEC slows down to 12x or 8x

I only used the ND-3550 very little to test and I was not really impressed with the results. And if I am going to use it again, I will need an IDE controller and a cable. I have both, but my computer case is a little crowded.

Written with _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A 1.07 at 8x on 27 March 2019
Verbatim DVD+R 16x AZO #43550 (50-pack) made in Taiwan by CMC Magnetics in July 2010

The PIE don´t look pretty, reminds me of my LiteOns. But the MediaTek-LiteOn have nothing in common with old NEC-drives with NEC-chipset

Written with _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A 1.07 at 12x on 27 March 2019
Verbatim DVD+R 16x AZO #43550 (50-pack) made in Taiwan by CMC Magnetics in July 2010

Written with _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A 1.07 at 16x on 27 March 2019

I think the burns with the ND-3550A at 12x and 16x look better than the burns with the LiteOn drives. They also look better than the burns you posted above with the ND-3540A. But they are still not as good as the ones I get with the DRW-24D5MT.

Yep, I think the NEC like older media a bit more. MCC 16x-media from last decade is not the same like 13-14 years ago

Maybe they are not the same, but LG drives still seem to like them regardless their age. And I have seen good results with media that were made recently.

I guess I don´t tried my newest LGs with old MCC-media, can´t say anything about this.

The difference between LG and LiteOn is that LG switched late to MTK, maybe LG optimized at this time for the media which was actual and LiteOn always recycled the write strategies from the time MCC 16x was released?

BTW, my DRS-S20 had also no problem with MCC 004 but very big problems with MCC 03RG20; same with LGs Slimdrives

The LiteOn drives (B, C, E, F) that I currently have do not burn MCC 004 media well, regardless when these were made. The same media burn much better with all the Samsung/LG drives that I have. To clarify what I wrote above, I have seen good results of recently made (for example in 2016) media. So I don’t think it’s correct to say that no quality media are made these days, even though quality does vary considerably.

Sure, but the good newer media seems to be not get on all locations.

All my recent media, which was MII (MCC 03RG20) and MiT (MCC 004) were far away from the quality of the media I bought 11-13 years ago

Old:

New (my 2 best, one burned with a Lity) :

I have mostly better results with common Ritek-media, Optodisc, CMC-made -R, AML 003. MBI, CMC +R and +R DL are much more worse than MCC. Other media, except UME 02 and some TYG/MCC-fakes MiC are hard to find.

I think it’s obvious why you are getting these bad results. I have burned MCC 004 with the exact same stamper code as you (ZE6383, CMC made), and after some effort, I achieved this result with them.

Ditch the iHAS122 B and the Nu-Tech/QSI clone. Take my advice and try writing them with a quality drive, moderate speed (= 8x) and a compatible strategy (very important!) and you may just have a better time with Verbatim media.

Renesas based LGs are even better for MCC media. If anything, LG write quality remains good in spite of the MTK switch, not because of it. Samsung also uses MediaTek chipsets, and they are in my experience the best burner for this media. But Liteon DVD writers never impressed me much (although they are good readers for damaged media), their CDRW drives were one of my favorite though.

Did you try a different strategy? Remember the main advantage apart from build quality of the NEC is that unlike with the Asus, you are in control of the write strategy (because of MCSE support).

The media I used were different cakeboxes but from the same dealer (Lyreco). I don´t know the reason why but it is always MII (MCC 03RG20) and MiT (MCC 004)

Only with my newer LGs I wrote 16x with it, although the LGs allow 24x on +R and 20x on -R.

My results with NEC ND-3540A is not better as with the LGs.

My Renesas-based LGs maybe not in good condition, my 22NS40 have awful results with the most media I tried.

Maybe next time I use some of my old Plextors and Benq

No, I didn’t. I could experiment with a different write strategy, but I don’t expect to achieve better results, than the ones using the DRW-24D5MT.

Written with ASUS DRW-24D5MT 1.00 at 16x

Writer: Asus BC-12D2HT
Firmware: 3.01
Media: Datawrite DVD+R 8x by CMC
MID: (MCC 003)
Burn Speed: 8x
Software: Nero 12
Burned 2019
Scanned 2019

Asus BC-12D2HT BD-Combo