Mitsubishi branded media - better or worse then Verbatim?

I’ve tried to search but have had much luck. Anyone have much experience with Mitsubishi branded DVD+R media i.e. ones that are sold as Mitsubishi? Are these usually worse then Verbatim? In Malaysia they’re often cheaper… People don’t seem to talk about them much but perhaps this is more of a marketing/availability thing i.e. they’re not very common outside of the Asia-Pacific region (I see them in NZ too although Verbatim is usually cheaper) because Verbatim has the better name. Indeed the packaging tends to have Japanese writing and from the Singaporean website this seems to apply to most of them http://www.mitsubishichemical.com.sg/dvd-r2.cfm

N.B. Above is presuming they’re genuine of course

The difference would probably be that Mitsubishi always make their own media. MCC = Mitsubishi Chemical Corp

From what I’ve used in the CD-R days, Mitsubishi is always as good if not better than Verbatim. I could be wrong about DVD though.

If the mitsubishi says made in Singapore, there’s a good chance it’s their A grade stuff which would probably beat out most A grade MIT Verbatim MCC004/03RG20.

If it’s cheap, I would buy a pack to test with.

From various tests I’ve seen on Japanese and Korean sites with Mitsubishi media, and Western sites on Verbatim media, the quality is the same.

Mitsubishi owns Verbatim. Mitsubishi develops and manufactures its dyes and sells them to the contractors who manufacture discs for their Mitsubishi and Verbatim brands using Mitsubishi-owned stampers. In some cases Mitsubishi/Verbatim purchase discs such as CD-Rs directly from their contractors because there is no technical advantage of their azo-cyanine dye over phthalocyanine dye (in fact, it is the reverse) but there is a significant price advantage in buying OEM CD-Rs.

Try Ativa! They are sold at Office Depot, can’t go wrong with 16 dollars for 100 pack! I have used them for over a year now with no problems! Good Luck… The C.

[QUOTE=wilhelm;1919817]Mitsubishi owns Verbatim. Mitsubishi develops and manufactures its dyes and sells them to the contractors who manufacture discs for their Mitsubishi and Verbatim brands using Mitsubishi-owned stampers. In some cases Mitsubishi/Verbatim purchase discs such as CD-Rs directly from their contractors because there is no technical advantage of their azo-cyanine dye over phthalocyanine dye (in fact, it is the reverse) but there is a significant price advantage in buying OEM CD-Rs.[/QUOTE]

I’m aware of that. But that doesn’t mean Mitsubishi media is the same as Verbatim. It has been shown time and time again (for example Verbatim TY media doesn’t appear to be as good as Panasonic TY media) that just because it has the same (genuine) mediacode and is made in the same factory doesn’t mean it’s the same quality. Indeed I believe this is addressed in the FAQ.

Each brand, whoever owns it has it’s own target market. Depending on the target market and price, there will be some variation in the quality levels allowed. Indeed even within brands there many be different quality levels depending on precise branding. It’s easily possible that Mitsubishi sells off some of their lower quality media under the Mitsubishi brand name because they don’t want it to taint the Verbatim brand name. On the other hand, it’s easily possible Mitsubishi reserves only their best media for the Mitsubishi brand name. Finally it’s easily possible there is no variation and it’s just a different brand. I don’t know which was so I was asking if anyone has had any experience. The fact that they are the same company is somewhat irrelevant…

[QUOTE=THE C.;1919823]Try Ativa! They are sold at Office Depot, can’t go wrong with 16 dollars for 100 pack! I have used them for over a year now with no problems! Good Luck… The C.[/QUOTE]

Um did the fact I mentioned Malaysia and New Zealand in my post not give a hint I don’t live in the US? Did the fact that I asked specifically if anyone had any experience with Mitsubishi vs Verbatim not also give the hint I wasn’t asking for media recommendations but a specific question?

[QUOTE=cd pirate;1919786]The difference would probably be that Mitsubishi always make their own media. MCC = Mitsubishi Chemical Corp

From what I’ve used in the CD-R days, Mitsubishi is always as good if not better than Verbatim. I could be wrong about DVD though.

If the mitsubishi says made in Singapore, there’s a good chance it’s their A grade stuff which would probably beat out most A grade MIT Verbatim MCC004/03RG20.

If it’s cheap, I would buy a pack to test with.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;1919787]From various tests I’ve seen on Japanese and Korean sites with Mitsubishi media, and Western sites on Verbatim media, the quality is the same.[/QUOTE]

Cheers!

Verbatim is only a brand name owned by Mitsubishi and is the same Disc as Mitsubishi as long as its MCC or MKM. Mitsubishi uses Verbatim Brand in most countries outside of Japan while in Japan you only get Mitsubishi branded discs (some shops do sell Verbatim in Japan but those are parallel imports). The Mitsubishi and Verbatims are produced in the same factory. The only difference you would recognize is if you compare MIT, MIS and MII ones. The MIS disc are made by Mitsubishi/Verbatims own factory while MIT and MII are outsourced. Also if you visit Verbatims homepage and select Japan you will be redirected to MCM.
Its not like the TY’s under Panasonic and Sony etc brands where some brands get early shots of the production and others don’t.

Hi, Nil Einne,

Some points about the Mitsubishi media, all based on my experience, if anything wrong, please let me know.

-Based on my experience, you can only get Mitsubishi branded media in Far East market, such as Japan, China, Singapore and Hong Kong, etc.

-You can hardly find Verbatim branded but Mitsubishi branded media in Japanese market.

-I’ve never seem MIS MCC004/MCC03RG20 in the market, both verbatim or Mitsubishi branded.

-The last batch I got from MIS Mitsubishi/Verbatim branded DVD+/-R is MCC02RG20 which they produced in 2005. Verbatim branded MCC004/MCC03RG20 now seems are all Made in Taiwan, India and Japan (Taiyo Yuden), and Mitsubishi MCC004/MCC03RG20 are all made in Taiwan, China and Japan. I’ve never seem MII Mitsubishi MCC004/MCC03RG20.

-Compared to MIT (CMC made) Verbatim/Mitsubishi media, MIS Verbatim/Mitsubishi media doesn’t have extremely perfect scan results.

-Mitsubishi branded media also have QC issues, I got some bad batches before. For example like MIC Mitsubishi media (not fake ones, manufactured by Prodisc factory in China), the scan result could be really crap.

The following graphics show the scanning result from Mitsubishi branded DVD+/-R media. All of them are MCC004/MCC03RG20 which are MIT. Each of the results is from each differenct batch.

[QUOTE=SlayeRBoxeR;1919974]-I’ve never seem MIS MCC004/MCC03RG20 in the market, both verbatim or Mitsubishi branded.[/QUOTE]

There actually was MIS MCC004 media available in very limited amounts under the Verbatim brand in the EU market:
http://cdr.cz/picture/15840/large

[QUOTE=koba;1919965]Verbatim is only a brand name owned by Mitsubishi and is the same Disc as Mitsubishi as long as its MCC or MKM. Mitsubishi uses Verbatim Brand in most countries outside of Japan while in Japan you only get Mitsubishi branded discs (some shops do sell Verbatim in Japan but those are parallel imports). The Mitsubishi and Verbatims are produced in the same factory. The only difference you would recognize is if you compare MIT, MIS and MII ones. The MIS disc are made by Mitsubishi/Verbatims own factory while MIT and MII are outsourced. Also if you visit Verbatims homepage and select Japan you will be redirected to MCM.
Its not like the TY’s under Panasonic and Sony etc brands where some brands get early shots of the production and others don’t.[/QUOTE]

But my point is though that’s there’s no reason to presume that just because it’s a brand owned by the same company means it’s the same quality. Indeed in certain cases this would almost definitely not be the case. For example if if company Goodshit which makes optical media also has a brand Cheapshit which they sell in the same markets but avoid associating with one another, it’s resonable to expect that stuff branded Goodshit would be better quality on average then stuff branded Cheapshit, even if they’re made in the same factory etc.

It depends a lot of why you have 2 brands amongst other things. In this case, from all I’ve read so far, it appears that Mitsubishi uses the Mitsubishi brand in Japan and to a lesser extent in the Asia Pacific region (where it is resonably well known) and the Verbatim brand everywhere except Japan so it is probably likely there is no significant quality difference as it’s more of a name recognition/geographical thing and not a quality distinction issue. Also the fact that they don’t actually try to keep the brands distinct supports this. (If I’m not mistaken Verbatim was purchased by Mitsubishi a long while back so they likely kept the Verbatim brand name as their primary brand name except where they already had a good brand name)

In other words, from all I’ve read now I don’t think there is a quality difference. But I still think it’s a very bad idea to presume that just because company A owns brand B means that products branded under companies A name and brand B name are going to be the same quality, since intrisicly there’s no reason to make that assumption…

(Branding can be rather complicated, for example Arnotts sell biscuits in SEA that are explicitly labelled as not for sale in Australia and New Zealand. The reason is likely that they don’t want to damage their name in NZ and Oz because the products sold in SEA have chocolate designed to better withstand the heat but which is likely to not taste as good to the Aussie and Kiwi pallete)

Anyway thanks for everyone’s help

[QUOTE=Nil Einne;1919913]Um did the fact I mentioned Malaysia and New Zealand in my post not give a hint I don’t live in the US? Did the fact that I asked specifically if anyone had any experience with Mitsubishi vs Verbatim not also give the hint I wasn’t asking for media recommendations but a specific question?[/QUOTE]

Relax. That was just an overenthusiastic n00b spouting off. He’ll get a clue eventually. :cool:

Well, ones things for sure right now Nil Einne - Verbatim is starting to outsource manufacturing to other places. This is not outsourcing MCC technology and getting places to make their discs, I’m talking about using another companies discs completely. Some people have had a Verbatim spindle with MBI MIDs and Ritek MIDs.

There’s better chances of getting proper MCC stuff if you just buy Mitsubishi. People need to start being careful because Verbatim aren’t all MCC stuff anymore, unfortunately :frowning:

[QUOTE=cd pirate;1920047]Well, ones things for sure right now Nil Einne - Verbatim is starting to outsource manufacturing to other places. This is not outsourcing MCC technology and getting places to make their discs, I’m talking about using another companies discs completely. Some people have had a Verbatim spindle with MBI MIDs and Ritek MIDs.

There’s better chances of getting proper MCC stuff if you just buy Mitsubishi. People need to start being careful because Verbatim aren’t all MCC stuff anymore, unfortunately :([/QUOTE]

One thing for sure , is to find MIT Verbatim with TNR LOCK-----OPEN That would definately be MCC media made by CMC :iagree:

Or would they outsource completely to CMC MAG and the next time we buy Verbatim MIT with TNR font and find out it to be CMC MAG M01 ?:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=minaelromany;1920206]One thing for sure , is to find MIT Verbatim with TNR LOCK-----OPEN That would definately be MCC media made by CMC :iagree:

Or would they outsource completely to CMC MAG and the next time we buy Verbatim MIT with TNR font and find out it to be CMC MAG M01 ?:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

That would be very uncool to have happen. You never know though, in the future it might be like that :eek:

Btw, the TNR open/lock font is definitely the best 16x media available I believe. :iagree:

The use of Mitsubishi or Verbatim is a decision purely based on name recognition. Verbatim was a US Company and after Mitsubishi chemicals bought it they left the brandname as it was a known brand outside the Japanese market. The MIS discs are produced by Mitsubishi/Verbatim while all others are outsourced. There was a limited number of DVD-R (2 and maybe 4x)made by Mitsubishi in Japan which are not TY but those are out of production because Mitsubishi uses its Japanese factory for new technology only (BD and HDDVD production). Today Mitsubishi branded MIJ are all TY for CD-R and DVD+/-R so even Mitsubishi branded discs are outsourced to other manufactures and not useing MCC MIDs or technology.