"Mitsubishi" branded DVD - thoughts?

I was in my local €2 shop today when I spotted some “Mitsubishi Black Diamond” branded DVDs on sale in double-slim cases (two discs in a slimline case). Given that my new favourite Media Codes all now begin with “M” for "Mitsubishi, my curiousity was immediately aroused. It got the better of me and I grabbed a few of the +R variety.

The discs are rated 1-8x, and have the MID code MJC 003. The country of origin is not indentified.

I’ve attached a picture of the packaging and a “Disc Info” report from CD/DVD speed.

Any thoughts on what I might have got? Would I be right in saying that these discs are, or are similar to, Verbatim/MCC quality?

Should I go back and grab some more?

This medium was made by MJC Pte. Ltd in Singapore. This company went bankrupt in 2007.
The quality is inferior to MCC made media, but it is fair and probably better then the quality of most of 16x Verbatims made by TY. :Z

So, Mitsubishi has actually sold (and is perhaps still selling) non-MCC media. :eek: I’ll be damned. :doh:

What’s next, That’s-branded MBIPG101 R05? :rolleyes:

Hehe…I saw loads of those in my local £1 shop too.

Having read about someone’s past experience and tests of these discs awhile back, I decided against picking any up. :wink:

Something in the back of my mind says “Made in Ireland”. Could be totally wrong though.

Just did a Search. Not quite, but close :bigsmile:: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/mitsubishi-black-diamond-mjc-180448/

Yep, these are not from Mitsubishi Chemical (Verbatim), but from Mitsubishi Electric from Ireland.

However, Verbatim CD-R and CD-RW media was indeed produced in Ireland for a short time (must have been in 2000; I still have a Verbatim 650 MB 4x CD-RW from Ireland). It was a Mitsubishi Chemical/CMC plant that they had there.

Thanks, kg - I knew you’d fix my memory :wink:

Mitsubishi is a humongous corporation, and in large organizations, the right hand doesn’t always know what the left hand is doing.

Mitsubishi Electric and Verbatim (Mitsubishi Chemicals) are two different beasts.

You’re right: it is Mitsubishi Electric :doh: Good thing I only bought a few. I will probably burn one in the near future with non-critical data, and see how they do.

I was wondering why Mitsubishi Chemical would sell discs branded Mitsubishi instead of Verbatim to anyone. Now I know :sad:

Thanks for the link.

This post grabbed my attention

[QUOTE=Matth;1434222]They have an Ireland (539) barcode[/QUOTE]

The barcode on mine also starts with 539!

The company (Mitsubishi Electric Europe B.V) also lists an address and telephone number in Dublin.

MJC MIDs used to be found mostly under the JVC brand and are also made in Malaysia.

This company is not the same as Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (MCC). MCC sells their media almost exclusively under the Verbatim brand.

I do know this now!

Anyways I burned one this afternoon, and I’ve attached the scans.

I burned it in my new NEC Optiarc 7203A (with Liggy or Dees bitsetting firmware), and scanned it back in an old Sammy. Pretty ecouraging results.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2072779]I do know this now!

Anyways I burned one this afternoon, and I’ve attached the scans.

I burned it in my new NEC Optiarc 7203A (with Liggy or Dees bitsetting firmware), and scanned it back in an old Sammy. Pretty ecouraging results.[/QUOTE]

Nice to see that also all those rare and obscure MIDs are properly supported by Optiarc drives :bow::bow::bow:

MJC, like MUST, is one of those rarer MIDs that is actually decent.

[QUOTE=pepst;2073066]Nice to see that also all those rare and obscure MIDs are properly supported by Optiarc drives :bow::bow::bow:[/QUOTE]
Don’t know about that, the credit may well belong to the crew at Liggy and Dee’s NEC/Optiarc Firmwares page here on CD Freaks - I’m using Liggy’s Bitsetting 1.06 f/w.

I don’t think they usually change too much in the way of older/obscure media, do they? I believe NEC/Optiarc [and Pioneer] just have a lot of support for discs to begin with. :iagree:

just did a scan of my old dvd +rw mitsubishi discs,and they were made by prodisc technology inc and media code w02.work fine

[QUOTE=bennybjorn;2074783]just did a scan of my old dvd +rw mitsubishi discs,and they were made by prodisc technology inc and media code w02.work fine[/QUOTE]

Hi bennybjonr,
could you post a scan to “Blank DVD Media tests” thread? Thanks. :flower:

[QUOTE=Albert;2073524]I don’t think they usually change too much in the way of older/obscure media, do they?[/QUOTE]

Sometimes, old 1x, 2x, and 4x MIDs get dropped, to make room for more 8x and 16x MIDs. In this case, the media is 8x, so it’s definitely going to still be there.