Missing First Few Seconds When Burning Audio

Hi, I’m a newbie to these forums, but it looks like you’ve got a useful little community going here, and hopefully you can help me!

Just for the record, my name’s Rich, known as fettdog wherever I pop up on the net, and although I’ve been burning CDs for a few years, I’ve come across a problem that a new one on me, and on friends I’ve asked, but hopefully not on you guys! :slight_smile:

OK, I’d been happily burning CDs uysing Nero 5 (version 5.5.8.3) with no problems whatsoever, using a LITE-ON LTR-32123S burner (firmware revision XIS1).

Last week I installed a DVD rewriter, an ATAPI DVD DUAL (firmware revision ATC1), and things on the audio burning side have gone pear-shaped. :frowning:

I’ve made the DVD drive the primary drive, with the CD drive a slave drive (as it rips CDs faster than the DVD), and I’m having no problems in either ripping CDs, or in burning data to either CD or DVD respectively.

However, whenever I try and burn an audio CD (using disc-at-once which I’ve always used), the first track is fine, but all subsequent tracks have the first few beats of the audio missing (aprrox 0.5 to 1 seconds), which is really annoying, as where a tune starts immediately, it has the effect of sounding ‘clipped’ at the beginning.

I tried reinstalling Nero, and also setting the gaps between songs to zero seconds, but I’m still getting this ‘clipping’ effect. I could understand maybe if it was only doing it with the new DVD drive because I’m running Windows 98 (tho’ soon to upgrade to XP), but with regard to the CD drive, the only thing that’s changed is that it’s now a slave drive, but surely that wouldn’t cause this clipping problem?

Hopefully there’s enough info above to have explained the problem properly, but if you need any more, please let me know!

Here’s hoping you guys can help, as this one’s got me stumped (not to mention frustrated, as I burn a lot of CDs due to my hobby of DJing and remixing bands, so this has effectively stopped me dead in my tracks in this respect.)

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and hopefully you can help! :smiley:

(PS - apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but wasn;t sure if this constitiutes a hardware problem, a software problem or just a user problem - i.e. me :wink: )

thatz weird. the first thing i normally do in these ‘weird’ cases is see if it’s the burning program that has suddenly decided to go crazy. try burning an audio cd with deepburner http://www.deepburner.com/ itz free. see what happens. also, how are you getting the original audio files ? eg., have you altered your ripping program settings to remove silence etc. check these types of options.

I downloaded Deepburner and tried to burn an audio disc with it, but I’m getting the same results :frowning:

AS for the original audiofiles, the ones I’ve been trying to burn are files that already existed on my hard drive, and which I’d successfully previously burned to an audio CD before all this started happening. They play correctly through several players (including Music Match and Windows Media Player), so I’m certain that they’re not the problem here.

What’s weird is that if it’s not the software, then it suggests it’s the hardware, but why would this be happening on both drives, especially when the LITE-ON drive was working OK previously?

I’m really stumped by this, and more than a little concerned, because as mentioned previously, I really need to be able to burn audio discs in the not too distant future.

Any further suggestions / ideas / help would be greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Good news!

It seems that my burners are OK after all - the problem seems to be with the actual playback of CDs from them both! Because I’d only been testing them on my PC (and as luck would have it, but in a bad way, our CD player is in for repair so we’ve been using the DVD to play CDs in the living room, and it doesn’t like burned CDs) I assumed that there was a burn problem, but i just tried one of my many new coasters :smiley: in my portable CD pplayer and it works just fine! :slight_smile:

I’m guessing that this problem with Music Match etc skipping the first half second or so has been covered somewhere in these forums so I’ll have a search, but if it hasn’t, then advice on this would be much appreciated! :slight_smile: (or a link to a relevant thread if the whereabouts of one springs to mind :smiley: )

Thanks to all who have read this.