Missing 2.4x burn speed with SH-S182D/TS-H652D

vbimport

I have several discs, DVD+R and DVD+R DL from different brands. I need to burn them at 2.4x (and it says on the media that it is compatible with that speed)

In Imgburn, it says:
Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x for the DVD+R DL, and
Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 16x for the DVD+R.

But no 2.4x.

My firmware is KC03, which is supposed to be the latest. Is there anything I can do? I’m sure this burner is supposed to be able to be able to write at 2.4x… I have already created a coaster by selecting 2.4x in Imgburn but having the program burn the DVD+R DL at 4.0x.

Any solutions?

I doubt you can find any single layer media today with 2.4x as write speed supported.

As you have problems burning that type of media at 4x speed, it gives me an impression that you might have a problem with some settings like DMA or using very cheap media.

Which brands of media do you use?

[QUOTE=Gummigutta;2078138]I doubt you can find any single layer media today with 2.4x as write speed supported.

As you have problems burning that type of media at 4x speed, it gives me an impression that you might have a problem with some settings like DMA or using very cheap media.

Which brands of media do you use?[/QUOTE]

The DVD+R DL which I’m trying to burn at 2.4x is from Mitsubishi. In device manager, all options are “DMA if available.”

I wouldn’t trust Windows when it reports the status of DMA. :bigsmile:

Do you have a failed burn log report from ImgBurn that you can post?

What does Imgburn list the MID as with those Mitsubishi discs? MKMXXX?

Imgburn will report the supported speeds as given by your drive, firmware and media limitations. It should be the same no matter what program you use.

[QUOTE=Gummigutta;2078144]I wouldn’t trust Windows when it reports the status of DMA. :bigsmile:

Do you have a failed burn log report from ImgBurn that you can post?[/QUOTE]

It actually burned without a problem… Imgburn even had the music when it finished verifying. I’m trying to burn backups of my Xbox360 games… the original works perfect but the backup doesn’t. I read online that you’re supposed to burn at 2.4x, which I selected, but the program’s write rate ended up being 4x, so I’m just assuming that caused the problem.

[QUOTE=LOCOENG;2078145]What does Imgburn list the MID as with those Mitsubishi discs? MKMXXX?

Imgburn will report the supported speeds as given by your drive, firmware and media limitations. It should be the same no matter what program you use.[/QUOTE]

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652D KC03 (SCSI)
Current Profile: DVD+R DL

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 4,173,824
Free Space: 8,547,991,552 bytes
Free Time: 927:32:74 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x

DVD±R DL Boundary Information:
L0 Data Zone Capacity: 2,086,912
Changeable: Yes

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
Disc ID: RICOHJPN-D01-67
Book Type: DVD+R DL
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 2
Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)
Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,580,607
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,283,519

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: RICOHJPN-D01-67
Book Type: DVD+R DL
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 2
Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)
Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,580,607
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,283,519

EDIT: I think I found the problem… RICOHJPNR01 discs don’t burn at 2.4x according to http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/ricohjpn-r01-146792/

Some people do manage to burn it at 2.4x though
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/ricoh-dual-layer-media-ricohjpn-d01-214180/

Is it a problem with these specific discs and my burner’s compatibility?

Any suggestions for (cheap) 2.4x DVD+R DL discs? Verbatim is the equivalent of $4 US here a piece.

The only discs I would recommend are Verbatim for DL media. I think your limitations are down to your burner/firmware.