MissFlash!

vbimport

Is it Possible for a Region free/Rip speed Windows Flash for NEC 2500A as well as flashing the Drive ok, could it also MissFlash n get put into a DVDRom Drive & a CDRW-Writer n make them kinda SlooooooW in Reading CDRs…Reason I ask is that since doing that Flash, my DVDRom Drive, Lite-On Writer & also the NEC are takeing ages to find & show my Photo Thumbnails…Some don’t even open…This is on All Drives n All my 27 CDRs…My Lite-On light sometimes flashes like Mads n does clicking sounds…
Only done this since Flashing NEC…Unless fate poped in n something else has Corrupted the Reading…Unlikly i would say!..But not Impossible!!
PLEASE Do not tell me How I should of Flashed the NEC, cause “I NOW KNOW HOW TO” but at the time did NOT know the Correct way…Is my Assumption correct, If so, would Reflashing my Lite-On Writer with proper Firmware return it as it was…
I will be trying out a Brand New Lite-On DVDRom later today, but Answers would be Appreciated…THANK YOU ALL…

Improbable, the NEC will not upload and flash corrupt firmware, it will complain before flashing is allowed to start. If the flash process fails, from say a power failure or the erase process occuring without subsequent writing, the drive will drop into safe mode, reporting as a ND-2100A 0.01 (or something similar).

It is possible to package a bad firmware so that it flashes, but the net result is that you will now own a brick.

If you think it’s the firmware, try a different one.

Most likely not firmware, for instance Windows (XP) insisting on scanning the entire content.

Brother Vlad

see they have already contributed!

Also your problem maybe somehow your now using PIO mode on your drives instead of DMA mode…make sure you are using dma mode as this could cause a slow down. or just could be a bad IDE cable.

TheDangerousBros…Thank You, Nice of you to answer my Question…I’m Honoured…

Jamo…Thank You also…No PIO Mode in Operation…it is
Ultra DMA2…

This Problem, Especially with the LiteOn 48246S CDR/W Writer only happened after the Flash…It is a 100% Excellent Drive for Riping n Writeing at its MAX n Reading was Excellent Also…
Now I put my Precious CDRs of My Precious Photos into that Drive n the Light Flashes Continously FaST with Clicks n Takes Years to Open 1 Tiff File let alone 20…It Could Be the SP1 n Updates that is causeing it, as I installed it the day after, n have had some various probs since…Though I have managed to Solve some probs on my Own…ACDSee5 would normaly Open show my thumbnails from CDRs instantly, now it takes ages…But Surely SP1 would not cause my LiteOn Light to Flicker Constantly Fast n make Clicking noises!!..Your Answers are Appreciated, n I am Learning by them…Slowley but Surely…
I will keep trying to Fix this, but only for one week, then If not fixed I will do a Format n re-Install of XP…Might do a Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 1 & Creat a Bootable CD…
Wish they had Invented Comps 40 odd years ago…
Thanks All…

also make sure you dont have the intel application accelerator installed…it can cause problems also.

Since the liteon drives use entirely different hardware than the NEC, if they had somehow been flashed with the NEC firmware, they would not work at all. Try booting into safe mode, go into device manager, and remove all CD/DVD drives. Then reboot and let the OS re-detect the drives.

@TDB: So the 2500a has a backup copy of 2100 firmware? Or does this safe mode just get it running enough to accept a flash and to report itself to the system as a 2100, but not enough to actually read or write discs?

Thank You for being Patiant with me…
No Intel of anything that i can find…All VIA…
Some of this is begining to fall into place in this old Brain of mine.lol albiet-slooooowly…

Has to do either with the SP1 !? or something else, but what?..
I will get to the Bottom of it sooner or later, because I don’t let this Comp beat Me these days!!

Once upon a time at the slightest problem I would Reformat n start again…Not any more…I just gota find the solution to the prob…

Once again, THANK YOU for the Kind Help…

Originally posted by dentman42
@TDB: So the 2500a has a backup copy of 2100 firmware? Or does this safe mode just get it running enough to accept a flash and to report itself to the system as a 2100, but not enough to actually read or write discs?

The 2x00 series drives are all basically the same, they have a 1MB Flash ROM, and the binary upload is a large portion of that. In the front portion of the ROM is a boot loader that has an extremely small command subset. Enough to report what it is and flash the drive and that’s about it. The boot loader checks the integrity of the primary firmware and executes that if the checksum is correct, otherwise it drops into safe mode. The only problem occurs if you checksum a firmware which crashes before it gets to the command processing subroutine, or crashes within it. If this happens you have a brick, software can’t get it back, perhaps there is a JTAG port or test points for incircuit programming.

Checking the boot loader the name it reports is
_NEC DVD+RW ND-2100A 0.06 03091600

The front of the ROM also includes calibration data, serial numbers, product identification (2500 vs 2100) and regioning information.

The DOS flasher was written by analysing the boot loader.

Brother Vlad

Hi Brother Vlad…Many Many Thanks for Giveing me a Great explanation. That’s toped up my Brain a little…lol
Only thing that changed was this “0.06 03121900” is now this"03121900" the 0.06 has vanished…
Firmware Revision is still 1.06

Now that I understand how these things Work…

I am begining to think seriously that it IS the SP1 + Updates that’s gone n done a few changes to the System that should not be changed!!..Go Figure!
Others are saying NO…I say Yes.I Had No Probs before the SP1!.
I will keep trying to figure it out with Help from the Good Peeps on various Forums n if I can’t resolve it within another Week, I will do a Reformat, take out my PCI USB2.0 n put the 120Gbt HD back in the Tower onto the PCIATA100…Thats still not running as a USB2.0 even though Windows says it is…

Why Do We Humans have to Tinker with things All the Time!!lol
THANKS My Friend…Take Care…