Mintcast adware silently makes browser insecure by disabling Safebrowsing filter

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Mintcast adware silently makes browser insecure by disabling Safebrowsing filter[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/12/safebrowsing1-95x75.png[/newsimage]

A new adware variant discovered by Malwarebytes silently disables the Safebrowsing filter in Firefox. The adware is called Mintcast and ends up through other software and software bundles on computers.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/mintcast-adware-silently-makes-browser-insecure-by-disabling-safebrowsing-filter-78259/](http://www.myce.com/news/mintcast-adware-silently-makes-browser-insecure-by-disabling-safebrowsing-filter-78259/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Yet again, one hit to the ignorant people happily accepting downloading ‘installer downloaders’ making sure they can get even more shit on their computers.

This will go on forever or until Jane and John Doe finally gets at least a little sceptical and realize that the internet is not the fantastic place they thought it to be.
It is a fantastic place only when you start questioning everything.

Like I told my daughter seven years ago when she was twelve: Why would a programmer spend several years developing a game, only to give it away to completely strangers for free? She could not answer the question and I found the time perfect for telling her that what she did not pay for, someone else did… and that someone surely would want something in return.
Luckily she grew up to not initially trust anyone out here :slight_smile:

The adware is called Mintcast and ends up through other software and software bundles on computers. The adware is designed to show advertisements but also disables Firefox’s Safebrowsing.
This is the problem far too many users just use the “Express” or “Quick” install without really thinking “wait” I should choose the “Custom” or “Let me Choose” install option to see and stop the hidden malware loader.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2765740]Yet again, one hit to the ignorant people happily accepting downloading ‘installer downloaders’ making sure they can get even more shit on their computers.[/QUOTE]This is the Norm and will continue long after we are gone.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2765740]This will go on forever or until Jane and John Doe finally gets at least a little sceptical and realize that the internet is not the fantastic place they thought it to be.
It is a fantastic place only when you start questioning everything.[/QUOTE]Well you will wait til the cows come home…if they ever…for that.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2765740]Like I told my daughter seven years ago when she was twelve: Why would a programmer spend several years developing a game, only to give it away to completely strangers for free? She could not answer the question and I found the time perfect for telling her that what she did not pay for, someone else did… and that someone surely would want something in return.
Luckily she grew up to not initially trust anyone out here :)[/QUOTE]Good for your Family there…I :bow: to you…

[QUOTE=Xercus;2765740]Like I told my daughter seven years ago when she was twelve: Why would a programmer spend several years developing a game, only to give it away to completely strangers for free? [/QUOTE] Sometimes people do, however, spend their time making free software like e.g. Linux, Open/Libre Office etc. or otherwise giving their time to help other people.

The challenge is to know when something is actually free and when something is just bait.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2765798]Sometimes people do, however, spend their time making free software like e.g. Linux, Open/Libre Office etc. or otherwise giving their time to help other people.

The challenge is to know when something is actually free and when something is just bait.[/QUOTE]

No doubt about that DrageMester… Some out here that enjoys my utter respect, and contributions are a few of these true good people - Absolutely no strings attached (keep the light shining, please, you are what each and every one of us look up to!) :bow:

They do not come in numbers though and so yes, it is a challenge.

Here is to the few true freeware programmers out there:
:flower::flower::flower::flower::flower::flower::flower::flower::flower::flower::kiss::p:kiss::flower::flower::flower::flower::flower::flower::flower::flower::flower::flower:

Often, the best way to know if a program is malicious or not it to know whether it’s libre or not. Very few people are going to hide malware in software any programmer can read. Of course, there are exceptions, such as Ubuntu’s Unity desktop environment, but even then, the spyware features can be turned off.

When running Windows, I don’t care where the program came from or whether you paid for it or not, or whether it’s libre or not: do not trust the installer. Always choose the custom/advanced/let me choose option, and uncheck any boxes that recommend software. Also, don’t trust exe files that take up less than a megabyte of disk space, unless you are downloading some arcane MS-DOS program. Instead, look for the actual installer, and not the malicous web-based installers that have taken over far too many software download websites.

Of course, you should always make sure the file you are downloading comes from the website you visited to get that file. All too often advertisements (which usually bare no relationship to your desired software) come with a big shiny “click here to download” button, intentionally misleading visiters to click that button instead of the website’s actual download button.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2765810]When running Windows, I don’t care where the program came from or whether you paid for it or not, or whether it’s libre or not: do [B]not[/B] trust the installer. Always choose the custom/advanced/let me choose option, and uncheck any boxes that recommend software. Also, don’t trust exe files that take up less than a megabyte of disk space, unless you are downloading some arcane MS-DOS program. Instead, look for the [B]actual[/B] installer, and not the malicous web-based installers that have taken over far too many software download websites.[/QUOTE]That’s what I tell people over and over on forums and chats some listen and others are the same one getting malwared over and over… :a

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2765810]Of course, you should always make sure the file you are downloading comes from the website you visited to get that file. All too often advertisements (which usually bare no relationship to your desired software) come with a big shiny “click here to download” button, intentionally misleading visiters to click that button instead of the website’s actual download button.[/QUOTE]In this age of Instant gratification people are ugh stupid when they go online and they go gaga and click on everything that pops up. And age doesn’t matter here.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2765811]That’s what I tell people over and over on forums and chats some listen and others are the same one getting malwared over and over… :a[/QUOTE]
That is inspiration for you, right there
How fun it is to give advice only to realize they did not understand shit :confused:

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2765811] In this age of Instant gratification people are ugh stupid when they go online and they go gaga and click on everything that pops up. And age doesn’t matter here.[/QUOTE]
Jeez, you’ve been reading my brainwaves