Minimum system requirements for new cd-writer

First I want to say hi to everyone. This is my first question in this forum and I hope that someone can help me.
I’m interested in a cd-writer (plextor 48/24/48 or 40/12/40 or yamaha crw-f1) but I don´t know if my PC can support it or if the
cd-writer can reach the higher speeds.

Pentium II 350 Mhz.
Chipset BX-440 AGP bus 100Mhz.
192 Mb RAM 100Mhz.
4.3 Gb Ultra DMA (33Mb/sec.)
CD-ROM 36X

Thanks

In theory your system will perform adequatly to get the maximum out of your new writer. In pratice , it might not get there because your harddisk is a rather old one.

I agree, the drive may be a bottleneck, although I have a similiar drive on one of my systems and it hits 24x easily (24x Plex) without BurnProof kicking in, so you have a decent shot. Anyways, most modern burners (including both you mentioned) have buffer underrun protection so you’ll be able to burn at full speed. It may just take a bit longer than normal :wink:

Thanks a lot Mr. Belvedere.
Thanks a lot CAVEMAN.
Your information has been very useful. :smiley:

But …

… if I only change the hard disk with a bigger one, does it improve the performances of the cd-writer? Could it reach the higher speeds? Which size (20 Gb.?) of hard disk should I install to get better results? Which cd-writer is better for burning audio: plextor 48/24/48 or 40/12/40 or yamaha crw-f1 ?

Apologize me for too many questions but I’m just a newbie… :bow:

The size of the hard disk is unimportant. What’s important are the disk’s interface (UDMA 100 minimal) and rpm’s (rotations per minute of the hard disk). 5400 rpm is sufficient, 7200 rpm is faster (but also makes more noise). The Plextor and Yamaha both produce good audio copies and both also offer special audio modes. When you use proper media there is no difference between the two burners. Perhaps our reviews will be able to help you decide:

Plextor PX-W4824TA
Plextor PX-W4824TU (external)
Yamaha CRW-F1

Thanks for your reply G@M3FR3@K. :bigsmile:
…I think it would be better to update my computer, anyway.
Thanks to everyone.

Size is important. generally a bigger HD = faster. Becus of its higher density. And a higher rpm and bigger buffer = faster HD