Minimum Spec PC for DVD Writing

vbimport

Hi all, I have just taken delivery of an Emprex DRW1008 which as I know is a clone of the BTC. My PC is a very low spec and before I install the DVD writer I was wondering if anyone else here is or has any experience of running such a writer on a such a system.

My PC has a Celeron 400 processor, 512MB SD Ram and enough HD space.

On the writer box it recommends a minimum spec of PIII 800Mhz. To add, I do realise the more Mhz you have the more stability is offered etc.

I did have a look around the site and read the ‘Tell us about your system!!!’ thread.

Thanks to anyone who replies.:slight_smile:

I think you should post in a more general section where more people could help you.
I never tried burning DVDs on a CPU lower than 1800mhz, but I used to burn CDs on my old K6-III 450mhz…I think that, more than the CPU frequency, HDD speed (and all the things linked to it such as chipset’s IDE capabilities, UDMA drivers etc) should be the main concern!

Hi, I have an athlon 800 with 384 mbs ram and have no trouble…i just make sure nothing else is running…

have fun
Ron

To Live is To Burn

Originally posted by anarki
I think you should post in a more general section where more people could help you.
I never tried burning DVDs on a CPU lower than 1800mhz, but I used to burn CDs on my old K6-III 450mhz…I think that, more than the CPU frequency, HDD speed (and all the things linked to it such as chipset’s IDE capabilities, UDMA drivers etc) should be the main concern!

Thanks for your advice anarki, I did as you suggested.

Also, thanks for bringing the other details to my attention.

ron71157 - Thanks too.
:slight_smile:

Originally posted by anarki
I think that, more than the CPU frequency, HDD speed (and all the things linked to it such as chipset’s IDE capabilities, UDMA drivers etc) should be the main concern!

How very true!

Above a certain threshold, which I’d place at around 400 to 500 MHz, CPU speed loses its importance where burning a CD is concerned. Enjoying a high data transfer rate is vital for burning success, much more so than actual processor speed.

The above does not necessary apply for burning a DVD (insufficient data), although I guess that the principle will still hold up, only the threshold will be higher. (How much higher, I’ve no idea. Double, maybe?)

Regards, Martin A

Originally posted by Centurio
The above does not necessary apply for burning a DVD (insufficient data), although I guess that the principle will still hold up, only the threshold will be higher. (How much higher, I’ve no idea. Double, maybe?)

Talking of data-transfer speed, the transfer-rate necessary to burn a CD at say 48x would be even higher than the one necessary to burn a DVD at 4x…IIRC CD 48x = 7200kbps while DVD 4x = 5540kbps. But I think that the different write strategies (and maybe different burn programs either) involve a higher HDD stress also if the theorical troughput is lower. I can burn a 48x CD with Nero 6 and still be able to flawlessly make other operations such as browsing the web or watching to a film. If I burn a DVD instead, these operations are almost impossible and are likely to cause buffer underrun. Maybe someone could enlighten us up :slight_smile:

Bye

works with piii 500mhz !!!

A friend of mine with a Celeron 333 and 256MB of RAM multitasks under Windows XP Home while burning a DVD. No problem…

To me…it’s kinda like asking…how much garlic do i need to add to my soup before it tastes good…without knowing what else is in the soup…:slight_smile:

Personally, I wouldn’t consider it with less then 700mhz and 256 meg ram as a base for the broth. many here would flame me this as it’s a damn weak broth base…:slight_smile:

Past that…now for the meat, UDMA 100+…enough storage on the HDD to accomidate the 4+ gig free space you’ll likely need in the process of ripping before burn. And a good or even crappy burner to start your journey on, work or not…we all cut our teeth somewhere.

Noodles are handy in soup, such as software…software that can rip, and burn…on the machine you have. Different apps have different requirements. Try them all, but try to take the time that their min requirements…don’t exceed your boxes, max…psst…even so…try them anyway…you’d be surprised…:slight_smile:

Salt Pepper Garlic…Anything you can do to really upgrade the box…makes the soup better…more ram, faster cpu, faster / or same speed but better burner…

Goofs aside and encouraging to learn…1 thing to remember…you back-up, properly done on a duron 900mhz can be every bit as good or better than the backup done on somebody’s machine you see in here running 2-3 ghz…it will take you perhaps an hour longer to make it…but just as good…:slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies guys, I still haven’t installed it yet.

I am a deferred gratification junkie…:wink:

It’s going in within the next month, I promise…