Minimum CPU Speed for Decoding

vbimport

Alright so i would like to know the minimum required CPU speed for decoding media.

MP3 can be decoded for very little CPU if i remember correctly.
Im want to know what it would be for a DVD to decode. Its a tough question i know, it varies between the OS the hardware and so forth and so on, but im looking for a rough estimate is all.

I REALLY want to know if a nano ITX board can decode a DVD

just let me know what your thoughts are

thanx

Its very little. Get a Via Nano, they’re pretty new but they kick ass.

Would work but forget about upscaling and HD.
//Danne

actually about the HD part, apparently

a built-in HDTV encoder up to 1080i for HD DVD playback for the richest entertainment experience.
it can!

Thats the Nano-ITX and i think ill be getting one
they have a FANLESS 1.2ghz model
or a 1.5ghz with a fan BUT STILL!

i just saw a video of the miniITX playing crysis smoothly

i think it will work

The biggest problem I foresee, is that EVERY major encoding software out there, highly recommends have two seperate HD’s for doing video work. There is a reason for that…

Alot of the nano boards have graphics cards that can accelerate DVD playback (hadrware decoding assistance).

Decoding HD discs though is a different matter. Most of the current nano boards do not have full HD decoding in hardware and they dont have the power in the CPU to do it in software. Some of the really new nVidia nano boards can do h264 / VC1 / HD MPEG2 decoding in hardware which means you dont need a powerful CPU to play them back. There is also nothing stopping you adding something like an ATi HD3450 graphics card to a PCIe nano board to offload all video work and allow HD playback stutter free. I have a nice uATX setup here for HD playback. It simply 2x 512MB ram sticks, AMD x2 4200 AM2 CPU, HDD, LG HDDVD/BR drive and an ATi 780 motherboard. This is nice and cheap plus has full HD playback abilities.

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2110635]The biggest problem I foresee, is that EVERY major encoding software out there, highly recommends have two seperate HD’s for doing video work. There is a reason for that…[/QUOTE]

i can use 2 separate harddrives…

and qwakrz from the research i have done, the VIA Epia NX 15000G Nano-ITX is capable of decoding and playing back BluRay in realtime

and its only 12cm x 12cm!
but for the extra 5cm i could get a board capable of supporting crysis…
in due time people!

i plan on buying a board here soon so ill let you guys know the deal and what works and what doesnt

Yes, please report back :slight_smile:

The NX1500 only supports MPEG2 / 4 assistance, or DivX and DVD accelertion and it only has an AGP interface to the graphics chip not PCIe which limits its decoding ability (AGP can send data to a graphics card quickly but cannot get decoded data back fast enough for later processing, PCIe is fast both ways). It does not support H264 or VC1 acceleration which is needed for Blu-Ray playback.

The board will output to 1080p displays via its graphics card but will not have the components or CPU power needed to decode HD films from disc.

My ATi 680 board supported MPEG2/4 acceleration but was abismal at Blu-Ray and in the end I got an add-in card to offload my dual core X2 4200 processor as it dropped the odd frame and always sat at 90-95% usage on blu-ray. Adding a PCIe HD3450 lowered CPU usage to 15-20%.

You may want to look at the new EPIA-M700 or Nano N700 board as it lists VC1 hardware decoding however it does not list h264 hardware decoding so may still not cover all bases.

Yes the N700 came out today, but unless youre a developer you wont get it until mid sept and still no word on price.

Im still not sure as to IF it can support bluray, but it definitely has the speed to support it

also a note for the N700 compared to the NX15000 (thousand not 1500 qwakrz) is it can operate at a higher temp. (140F to 122F respectively)
not sure if im happy about that yet :wink:

EDIT: Supports 2gb of DDR2 667mhz RAM!!!