miniDVD to 4.7GB Standard DVD using MyDVD software

I’ve recorded home video on Sony Handycam DCR-DVD92 using 8cm DVD-RW (miniDVD) discs with capacity of 1.4gb. My camcorder does not support direct connection to PC. I finalize the disc and my PC’s DVD drive can read the contents, and I can play it on other DVD players as well.

I want to burn multiple small miniDVD contents to a single fullsize Standard 12cm DVD of 4.7gb. The software i’m using is Sonic MyDVD LE 5 ver(5.2.0) OEM bundle. I’m unable to figure this out on my own.

These 8cm DVDs only hold about 30 minutes of footage in SP mode, so I feel like I should be able to get 3-4 small discs on one standard size 12cm DVD.

For the moment i’m able to burn only 1 miniDVD onto the standard DVD, by Disk to Disk Copy, but wasting the rest of the DVD disk space, and I want to utilize the remaining disk space too.

The DVD content in the miniDVD disc are as follows:

VIDEO_TS 384kb
VIDEO_TS.BUP 14KB
VIDEOS_TS.IFO 14KB
VTS_01_0.BUP 26KB
VTS_01_0.IFO 26KB
VTS_01_0 725,888KB
VTS_02_0.BUP 20KB
VTS_02_0.IFO 20KB
VTS_02_1 328,224KB

I tried to make a DVD Project as described in the MyDVD help as follows:

1. Insert the DVD+VR disc in your PC’s DVD-ROM drive or DVD recorder. (If a software DVD player launches, close it before continuing.)
  2. Open the disc in Windows Explorer, then open the “VIDEO_TS” folder on the disc and locate the file named “VIDEO_TS.IFO”.
  3. Drag the “VIDEO_TS.IFO” file onto the menu in MyDVD’s main window.
  4. Click the button to save the project. MyDVD will then copy the disc contents into the project’s “Sources” folder on your PC.
  5. When MyDVD finishes copying, eject the disc. You can then continue working on the project.

Theare are a few issues i’m facing they are:

1. When I follow the above process, it says IMPORTING MEDIA and after that BUILDING MOVIE and later it showed 2 movie chapters in the menu. Now, when I play these movie chapters its only playing about 23 seconds (like introductions) for 1st movie chapter and 21 seconds of the 2nd movie chapter. Its not playing the full length movie.

When I look into the saved project folder on the hard disk its contents are as follows:
IFO_T01 725,888kb
IFO_T01.ses 1,469kb
IFO_T02 328,224kb
IFO_T02.ses 677kb

1. The DVD disc usage pane in the Project Window is showing as 4.67gb remaining of 4.7gb. Now is it not supposed to be showing from the above specs as 725888+328224=1.05gb (approx.) used???
    Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

When I burned the DVD, only 1st chapter(23sec) and 2nd chapter(21sec) video chapters were there in the DVD. When I explore into the burned DVD
and I see the contents of VIDEO_TS folder as follows:

NAME SIZE TYPE

VIDEO_TS 12KB IFO
VIDEO_TS 8KB VOB
VIDEO_TS.BUP 12KB BUP
VTS_01_0 18KB IFO
VTS_01_0 56KB VOB
VTS_01_0.BUP 18KB BUP
VTS_01_1 14,446KB VOB
VTS_02_0 18KB IFO
VTS_02_0 8KB VOB
VTS_02_0.BUP 18KB BUP
VTS_02_1 14,358KB VOB

Since i wasted many DVDs in the process, I tried an alternative method to see if its creating a DVD Volume folder. So I tried this option from MyDVD HELP as follows:

To Create a DVD/VCD volume from a project:

1. Click the SAVE button to save the project.
  2. Choose Tools >> Make DVD Folder. The browse for folder window will appear.
  3. Select the disk drive or folder where u want to save the DVD files, then click the OK button.

MyDVD will then create the DVD/VCD volume inside the selected disk/folder. The DVD/VCD volume folder will have the same name as the project.

Now it did create a volume but when I see the contents of VIDEO_TS folder it is as follows:

NAME SIZE TYPE

VIDEO_TS 12KB IFO
VIDEO_TS 8KB VOB
VIDEO_TS.BUP 12KB BUP
VTS_01_0 18KB IFO
VTS_01_0 56KB VOB
VTS_01_0.BUP 18KB BUP
VTS_01_1 14,446KB VOB
VTS_02_0 18KB IFO
VTS_02_0 8KB VOB
VTS_02_0.BUP 18KB BUP
VTS_02_1 14,358KB VOB

So the bottom line is there must be something wrong somewhere.

Looks like i’m missing out something in the process. So any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Srini

Hi saivs, you stated
"I finalize the disc and my PC’s DVD drive can read the contents, and I can play it on other DVD players as well"…

Not sure but it’s worth a try , create a VIDEO_TS folder put all files of disc in folder,do the same for each disc …now use DVDshrink and open VIDEO_TS folder and hopefully it’ll analyze w/o errors…If it works then switch to RE-Author mode and create a compilation… no need to waste anymore DVD’s as it will backup to HDD for now…
let us know if it works for you as their are other methods to try,good luck!..
http://www.dvdshrink.info/compilation.php

I don’t use MyDVD sw so can’t help you there…

[QUOTE=t0nee1;1948095]Hi saivs, you stated
"I finalize the disc and my PC’s DVD drive can read the contents, and I can play it on other DVD players as well"…

Not sure but it’s worth a try , create a VIDEO_TS folder put all files of disc in folder,do the same for each disc …now use DVDshrink and open VIDEO_TS folder and hopefully it’ll analyze w/o errors…If it works then switch to RE-Author mode and create a compilation… no need to waste anymore DVD’s as it will backup to HDD for now…
let us know if it works for you as their are other methods to try,good luck!..
http://www.dvdshrink.info/compilation.php

I don’t use MyDVD sw so can’t help you there…[/QUOTE]
hi tonee,

Will try what u said. I need a small clarification, when u said create a VIDEO_TS folder, did u mean only one common folder for all other discs too or seperate folder for each disc?

I really got vexed up wasting these dvd’s so went and bought a DVD-rewritable, which would be a good take for experiments. What do u say?

Srini

Separate VIDEO_TS folder for each disc…as I stated above you won’t waste anymore blanks as you’ll only be making a backup to your HDD for now,you can burn later…gotta go for now be back in a few…

Nice one t0nee1! exactly what I was looking for as well. Have used shrink for a long time, but not in this way, and after reading this was able to put multiple mini dvd’s on one disk, with ease…that tutorial works great…thanks again for the link.

ps…just made an iso and burned with imgburn…thumbs up!

I dont use mydvd software either, left upper and lower class filter drivers that goofed up my burning a long time ago!

[QUOTE=t0nee1;1948118]Separate VIDEO_TS folder for each disc…as I stated above you won’t waste anymore blanks as you’ll only be making a backup to your HDD for now,you can burn later…gotta go for now be back in a few…[/QUOTE]
thanks tonee, great software u’ve suggested. piece of cake to work with. Really amazing software. been breaking my head for the past so many days, and VIOLA this thing worked just like butter in teh mouth…

agree with beachbum too about the tutorial. made life seem so simple with the tutorial. awesome.

Now the worst part is I tried to burn the DVD from the compilation, but its showing the chapters menu, and the disc used is .7gb or 700mb. disgusting software i have i guess so.

can u suggest ne other software to burn the compilations??

Would look forward to an early reply…

sitting with fingers crossed. looking to burn first dvd of my life. u dont know my excitement…:smiley:

sai

The complete compilation is only 700mb? do you now have one VIDEO_TS of final compilation backed up on HDD? does it play from pc? did you follow the guide ?..how many clips did you compile? cus you could fill DVD with more than the 700mb…
Burn with IMGBurn in build mode…
Explain exactly how you processed the compilation from start to finish…

@beachbumm, It’s funny how we forget how great a proggy/tool DVDshrink was and still is for certain jobs…glad it worked for you…:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=t0nee1;1948324]The complete compilation is only 700mb? do you now have one VIDEO_TS of final compilation backed up on HDD? does it play from pc? did you follow the guide ?..how many clips did you compile? cus you could fill DVD with more than the 700mb…
Burn with IMGBurn in build mode…
Explain exactly how you processed the compilation from start to finish…

@beachbumm, It’s funny how we forget how great a proggy/tool DVDshrink was and still is for certain jobs…glad it worked for you…:)[/QUOTE]

The complete compilation originally is close to 3.4gb. Where as when I compile into the single VIDEO_TS folder, after backingup 3 different DVDs into 3 different folders.

Yes, I did follow the guide in each step precisely.

Then I did reauthoring by compiling different titles from different backup folders into a single compiled folder named FINAL. Then I backed up the FINAL folder using DVDShrink, this folder was 3.4gb.

The painful part with MyDVD was it wasnt burning the entire FINAL folder, instead it was showing different titles which I compiled into the FINAL folder as Chapter Menus of about 25-30 seconds duration. At the bottom left corner in MyDVD, there is a icon showing the amount of disk space used and free space left. There it was showing 4.6gb available disk space. So I tried burning the DVD and the final product was video chapters of 25-30 secs duration. There are about 7 titles or chapters when I finalised into FINAL folder. It was like playing the trailers part for each chapter.

So I got vexed up. And this idea flashed in my mind that I can try burning using Sonic Recordnow DX. So I tried by using the [B]Make a Data Disc option [/B]and burnt the FINAL folder and it created the DVD. The only drawback in this DVDShrink was it was not allowing Title Menu chapters when reauthoring. Thats negligible compared to the headaches i’ve been facing. :slight_smile: The one problem burning with the above process is, it does not create the openDVD folder as it does when burning with DVD burning softwares.

I hope, am explicit in my explanations. So i’m trying to see if there is any free dvd burning software unlike Sonic MyDVD suite(MyDVD, RecordNow DX, DLA, & PowerDVD).

I’m open to suggestions. Feel free to guide me, as i’m a novice in this DVD world. :slight_smile:

Sorry but something tells me you missed a step,go back and try it again…
The final 3.4gb VIDEO_TS folder that shrink hopefully created can now be burned using the best burning prog in the planet IMO…IMGBurn and use the build mode…

[QUOTE=t0nee1;1949015]Sorry but something tells me you missed a step,go back and try it again…
The final 3.4gb VIDEO_TS folder that shrink hopefully created can now be burned using the best burning prog in the planet IMO…IMGBurn and use the build mode…

hello t0nee1,

I am not complaining that I wasnt able to work with DVDShrink, but was complaining about the MyDVD software application. Probably i was misread.

Anyways I just downloaded IMGBURN, and it again made things appear so easy, didnt know that life would be so easy working with such softwares. Of course with the nightmares i had been having with Sonic MyDVD suite of softwares.

Just wanted to thank u once again for all the effort and time u spared for helping me out.

Srini

You’re welcome, it’s all good,and glad to help when I can…:slight_smile: