Minecraft game creator says file sharing & piracy is not theft

vbimport

Minecraft game creator says file sharing & piracy is not theft.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/03/jsGReG.jpg[/newsimage]A well-worn counter to the claim 'piracy is theft' is that it's just sharing, or borrowing, or accepting a gift: 'I'm not stealing this video game; a friend gave me a copy. Those GBs of music on my hard drive? Think of them as a mix tape. You wouldn't sue someone for that, would you?' Thanks to Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson, pirates now have several new counter-arguments against those who view them as petty thieves, though maybe not all of them should be employed.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/minecraft-creator-says-file-sharing-piracy-is-not-theft-40877/](http://www.myce.com/news/minecraft-creator-says-file-sharing-piracy-is-not-theft-40877/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

When you buy blank media such as cds or dvds there is a tax on these items that went to the RIAA and MPAA that is a compensation for possible copying of their materials. It was first proposed on blank cassette tapes and has been on everything since.
http://www.economicexpert.com/a/Blank:media:tax.htm

So anyone who has been sued, should file a countersuit because you’ve been bent over, not once but twice. If you don’t want to click the link, then google “tax on blank media” and pick you own site to visit.

I don’t care why Markus “Notch” Persson wants to pretend piracy isn’t stealing, because it simply is. Just because something isn’t a tangible object (like the vehicle he tries to use as a frame of reference), doesn’t mean people are free to take it and do what they will with it.

He’s also only partially correct regarding a ‘lost sale’; a lot of pirates wouldn’t buy the product anyway, either because owning every game and/or song is out of almost everyone’s ability to afford in many lifetimes, but if they had NO CHOICE but to buy some of the stuff or do without, they WOULD buy some of the crap they pirate. Therefore there are SOME ‘lost sales’ but lost sales does not equal the number of times something is pirated.

Why should an Individual spend 50 bucks on a game, then hate it and not be able to resell or trade because of stupid copyright laws that apply ONLY to PC games? If you were a gamer back in the late 90’s, every game that came out had a demo, so people could play a little and get a taste. I have no problems with buying a game, but not for 50 bucks. Suppose an individual were to pirate said game and liked it. Is it considered lost revenue if he bought it when it was 25 or 30 bucks in 3 months?
Of course I would never do this or condone it. (Snicker)

[QUOTE=Circlestrafe;2578227]I don’t care why Markus “Notch” Persson wants to pretend piracy isn’t stealing, because it simply is. Just because something isn’t a tangible object (like the vehicle he tries to use as a frame of reference), doesn’t mean people are free to take it and do what they will with it.

He’s also only partially correct regarding a ‘lost sale’; a lot of pirates wouldn’t buy the product anyway, either because owning every game and/or song is out of almost everyone’s ability to afford in many lifetimes, but if they had NO CHOICE but to buy some of the stuff or do without, they WOULD buy some of the crap they pirate. Therefore there are SOME ‘lost sales’ but lost sales does not equal the number of times something is pirated.[/QUOTE]

There is also the case that piracy can turn into increased sales. I’ve downloaded an album from an artist I’ve never heard, or heard of, before, really liked the music and gone out and bought his back catalogue. (around 20 albums). The artist in that example was Dr. John and I’d never heard his music before and would not have gone out and spent money on the off chance I’d like his music.

the trouble with piracy it stops you really appreciating games when you can get 2,3,4 … games a week instead of buying it you are not going to play it to death to get your moneys worth, instead you will be looking for the next game.

[QUOTE=rexroach;2578613]the trouble with piracy it stops you really appreciating games when you can get 2,3,4 … games a week instead of buying it you are not going to play it to death to get your moneys worth, instead you will be looking for the next game.[/QUOTE]

There is some truth in that as well. If you have a zillion games then you don’t care for them anymore. The value for money has evaporated.

That doesn’t mean every game should be $60 though.