Million dollar question, where can I buy real dvd-r Taiyo Yuden discs in the UK

I just started investigating into what discs to buy, and am worried about buying fakes!

Thanks!

Hi jookster, welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

You can buy genuine Taiyo Yuden CD and DVD media online from some shops in the U.K. I can recommend buying from SVP but there are also others I haven’t tried.

SVP have genuine unbranded Taiyo Yuden media, but also genuine Taiyo Yuden media sold under the Verbatim brand,

Unbranded Taiyo Yuden at SVP

Verbatim branded Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R at SVP

Verbatim branded Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD+R at SVP

Personally, I generally prefer Verbatim’s 16x DVD media using Mitsubishi technology rather than Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD media, while Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R media is probably the best 8x DVD+R media.

A second recommendation for SVP here, also APR Media (www.aprmedia.com) are good with some genuine TY’s

Beware of lesser media outlets that list genuine TY, but are actually selling datasafe packs which are of lower quality (but are genuine TY nontheless) Premium TY will be shrinkwrapped as opposed to being in a caketub. Verbatim tubs are fine though.

Perhaps we should reverse the question and post where people should avoid.

The price gives it away. You are looking around the £25-30 mark for 100pk of genuine premium Taiyo Yuden, but anything around £15 to £20/100 is likely to be lower grade stock.

Bigpockets Taiyo Yuden are datasafe stock, you just have to look at the item code in the description :slight_smile:

The Datasafe TY media is not fake media.

For the price, all of the Datasafe TYG02’s I have got (over 1000 in the last 18 months) have been very good, I have no problem with them what so ever
…in fact I would go as far as saying that for the price I pay per disk you cant get better.

But then I only get them from SVP. I cant vouch for APR media, and from a quick scan thru their media, they do have media I know has fake TY media codes, but as they dont give the MID’s you dont know, but going only on the price, theirs is more than 10 times the price I could get them from places that know they fake the codes.

But then I dont think I would ever order from a place that says that they cant make ordering mistakes and you always swallow the cost of anything opened. I dont even think if this is legal under UK consumer law.

Thanks for the info guys.

[QUOTE=Lenny_Nero;2032500]The Datasafe TY media is not fake media.

For the price, all of the Datasafe TYG02’s I have got (over 1000 in the last 18 months) have been very good, I have no problem with them what so ever
…in fact I would go as far as saying that for the price I pay per disk you cant get better.

But then I only get them from SVP. I cant vouch for APR media, and from a quick scan thru their media, they do have media I know has fake TY media codes, but as they dont give the MID’s you dont know, but going only on the price, theirs is more than 10 times the price I could get them from places that know they fake the codes.

But then I dont think I would ever order from a place that says that they cant make ordering mistakes and you always swallow the cost of anything opened. I dont even think if this is legal under UK consumer law.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think jubjubbird was saying the Datasafe TYs were fake, just lower grade in his opinion. I’m guessing you looked for the tell-tale hub codes though Lenny? :slight_smile:

I personally can’t say, as the names Datasafe or Datawrite send me running for cover :bigsmile:

I believe we discussed whether or not the Datasafe TY was fake or not before, but I can’t remember the outcome :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2032525]I don’t think jubjubbird was saying the Datasafe TYs were fake, just lower grade in his opinion. I’m guessing you looked for the tell-tale hub codes though Lenny? :)[/QUOTE]

Correct, I didn’t say they were fake, just the ones that I have were not as good quality as the premium TY I have had before.

I would compare them to the Value Line and Premium Line that the peeps in the USA get. Several of the tubs of TYG02 I had were actually TYG03 whis is a common trait of the Value Line

Quite a few of the unbranded silver top seemsed to have a bonding issue on the centre hub, with visible air bubbles in the hub.

All of my Datasafe TYG02 are TYG02 …I would send them back if I ordered 02 and got 03.

If you want the hub codes I will post them, but I have posted many scans (off the top of my head GG000234, 196, 7009) I must be missing, something that I have always thought, but datasafe TY disks are made by TY are they not ?

So when you say Datasafe makes you run for cover, are you not saying that TY makes you run for cover ?

I get these because they are TY not because they are Datasafe, I do not believe that I can get any other disks for £15 per 100 and get the quality I do with them. I am not saying that they are the best. But for the price per disk, I dont think there is better.

I think the OP would do best with Mcc004 (and the -R equ), and I expect that SVP are sending me different stock than others get, because the Yellows I got were real Verb Mcc003 as are these real TY …in fact yes these are no good dont get them.