Migrate Problem

vbimport

Just bought a new Sandisk 500 G when trying to migrate it with Paragon Migrate I get this message “Due to technical reasons this tool cannot migrate Oses installed on dynamic volumes” Using Win 8.1. Need help! T.I.A.

You can convert the dynamic disk to a basic disk using EasUS Partition Master.
This feature is not included with the free version according to the [B]comparison[/B] on the site, but you can download a free trial of the Professional Edition. Install and run it, then right-click your dynamic volume and choose ‘Convert to Basic disk’ from the context menu.

Since it is a feature, please be aware that if any mirrors are in place, you will have to break them first. Instructions how to do that can be found [B]here[/B].

Hope it helps :flower:

Thanks X, downloaded Easus, did not find any options for convert to basic, only saw convert to logical?

So what you basically say is you right-clicked the logical partition and only got a choice to convert it to logical which it already is (iow no conversion needed)? There is some info on the subject linked from the comparison table about breaking any mirrors existing referenced above.

I am asking since the comparison table specifically lists ‘[B]Change dynamic disk into basic[/B]’ for the professional version and it seems a little odd that it would give you such a choice as the disk is, to my knowledge, already dynamic (aka logical). Could I bother you with uploading a screenshot of the partition layout?

Another thing that could stop your task is if the dynamic disk spans two or more hard disks, hence the wish for a screenshot (I would hate giving you advice that gets you into trouble) :flower:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2780449]So what you basically say is you right-clicked the logical partition and only got a choice to convert it to logical which it already is (iow no conversion needed)? There is some info on the subject linked from the comparison table about breaking any mirrors existing referenced above.

I am asking since the comparison table specifically lists ‘[B]Change dynamic disk into basic[/B]’ for the professional version and it seems a little odd that it would give you such a choice as the disk is, to my knowledge, already dynamic (aka logical). Could I bother you with uploading a screenshot of the partition layout?

Another thing that could stop your task is if the dynamic disk spans two or more hard disks, hence the wish for a screenshot (I would hate giving you advice that gets you into trouble) :flower:[/QUOTE] Not sure about screenshots, did it work?

Looking at the above screenshot, there is only one dynamic partition named * which is unallocated.
You see this in the last column where both C and D on disk1 is listed as Primary aka basic but the last is logical aka dynamic.
Try right-clicking the * partition on disk1 and see if it will let you convert it to Primary.

The space is unallocated and if you don’t get the choice to convert to Primary, you can delete it (I wonder why it comes up as logical though as it is unallocated, 0 bytes used of 350,59 megabytes and no filesystem). :flower:

Thanks again X but nothing seems to work, this will be the 4th Sandisk SSD I have installed even one on the computer I am trying to migate now, never had a hitch, any idea why this one is so different? It will install but not migrate or clone?

No, I find it odd myself as the disk is Basic and not Dynamic (which is the correct terminology) and the two main partitions (System Reserved and C) are both Primary partitions. The only thing holding it back is the unallocated space at the end which comes up as Logical.

In this case since nothing works and to avoid wasting time and/or messing things up, I think I will advice you to do an extra step.

Back up the system drive (the one with the logical unallocated space).
Unless you have a preferred backup solution, I’ll recommend you use Macrium Reflect Free which allows you to create a bootable CD/USB drive. You can download it from the knowledge base here which gives instructions how to install as well (make sure you select Free instead of Full).

Once up and running and after creating the boot disk, click the ‘Backup’ menu and select ‘Backup Windows’.

This choice will auto select the ‘System Reserved’ and ‘C’ partition in the next step.

After backup is done, turn off the computer and replace the system drive for the SSD. Start and boot from the Windows PE CD/USB drive created and restore to the SSD.

Hope it helps :flower:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2780468]No, I find it odd myself as the disk is Basic and not Dynamic (which is the correct terminology) and the two main partitions (System Reserved and C) are both Primary partitions. The only thing holding it back is the unallocated space at the end which comes up as Logical.

In this case since nothing works and to avoid wasting time and/or messing things up, I think I will advice you to do an extra step.

Back up the system drive (the one with the logical unallocated space).
Unless you have a preferred backup solution, I’ll recommend you use Macrium Reflect Free which allows you to create a bootable CD/USB drive. You can download it from the knowledge base here which gives instructions how to install as well (make sure you select Free instead of Full).

Once up and running and after creating the boot disk, click the ‘Backup’ menu and select ‘Backup Windows’.

This choice will auto select the ‘System Reserved’ and ‘C’ partition in the next step.

After backup is done, turn off the computer and replace the system drive for the SSD. Start and boot from the Windows PE CD/USB drive created and restore to the SSD.

Hope it helps :flower:[/QUOTE]
X thanks again for your patience and help I just went ahead and installed every thin over again, I;m am printing out this message for future use.