Migrate problem

vbimport

I am trying to clone my 1T hdd to a 250G SSD, when I go star the clone, using Acronis, both disks show up as primary disks and will obviously not clone. I have Win 8.1 12G Ram, Lost tried Google and got nowhere any help appreciated.

I assume your 1TB HDD has less than about 235GB of space used?

If so try [B]Macrium Reflect[/B] (free edition) to clone the HDD. IMO it is much better than Acronis anyway.

Hi durkinjt.

[ol]
[li]What version of Acronis are you using? To my knowledge it will have to be at least the 2013 version.[/li][li]There should be no data on the SSD prior to cloning as it will be lost.[/li][li]Since you mention it, I think Primary means that there is a partition on the SSD. It has been a while since I have used Acronis myself, but as far as I can remember, it clones a disk to free space and if there is a partition on the SSD, there is no free space to clone to.[/li][li]If so, delete the partition on the SSD and start the cloning process again.[/li][/ol]

I do agree with Dee though, Macrium Reflect is a better tool these days. I still added the above in case your personal preference is Acronis.

Let me know how it goes :flower:

Thanks for the informative replies, Dee there is enough space on the SSD, actually I have migrated these drive before and reset to factory, now both drive are showing up as primary drives. I am using Acronis 2015, also tried another Migration program and showed again both disks as being primary. Am not sure if I know the process to make free space on the partition would you be kind enough to explain the process?

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2768664]Thanks for the informative replies, Dee there is enough space on the SSD, actually I have migrated these drive before and reset to factory, now both drive are showing up as primary drives. I am using Acronis 2015, also tried another Migration program and showed again both disks as being primary. Am not sure if I know the process to make free space on the partition would you be kind enough to explain the process?[/QUOTE]

Hmm… O.k. I do not have access to a 2015 install, so this screenshot is made from an earlier version of TrueImage Server. Hopefully it will be of aid anyway:

Above, I have entered the disk-management part of Acronis TrueImage and as you see, the partition on both disks are primary.
Acronis TrueImage will as far as I remember clone a disk only to free space and that is why I mentioned that you probably need to delete the partition in place on the SSD.
If there are no partition in place, the disk should come up as ‘[B]Unallocated[/B]’ which holds true for a small portion of Disk1 above.
In the screenshot above, I did right-click Disk2 (you should select your SSD) and placed the pointer over the choice [B]D[U]e[/U]lete volume[/B]. Left-click on the choice, then left-click on ‘[B]Commit[/B]’.

Now retry the process of cloning the disk to the SSD and when asked to select destination, select the SSD.