Midnight Club 2 - Impossible to copy?

vbimport

Hi all,

Just tried to back this up with CloneCD and Blindwrite using the usual methods. Thing is the game is using the very latest Securom - 4.84.81.0054. Any ideas on how to copy around this guys? Intelligent suggestions only please!

SG

What hardware do you have and what do you consider the usual methods?

>Intelligent suggestions only please!

How does one measure the level of intelligence? Is it intuitive or scientific based? But then, I suppose nothing will be intelligent if you keep your hardware brand/models and usual methods a secret, eh?

I’m a Lite-on boy Futureproof! I have a 52x Writer and 16x DVD ROM.

When I mean usual methods, I mean using the BWA tool in Blindwrite then writing a image with either BlindWrite or CloneCD. Basically following that oh so wonderful guide that you guys compiled.

SG

P.S. There is now a crack available for this game at

… warez link deleted … - Apologies if posting that sort of thing is illegal here! [Yes it is. Apology accepted but don’t do it again please. … philamber ]

Sorry but you can’t post cracks on this website.:cop:

Sorry but we dont need cracks here , we can make a back-up of our games without crak.:Z
Read the rules please.

With your reader/writer combo you shouldn’t have any difficulty if you use this method.

Note:

[list=1]
[li]Play the back-up copy from your Lite-on dvd and you won’t need an atip hiding utility.
[/li][li]If you have problems with the default twinpeak sector step of 15, try using 50 instead. Some of our members have reported better results using 50 rather than 15.
[/li][/list=1]

[And, btw, we don’t advocate the use of cracks on this forum which is warez free. :cop: ]

Cheers Philamber!

I find V@A’s remark rather arrogant. I would like to know if he has made a flawless backup of this game or even Chaser (which the developers had to release a patch for!). You guys don’t advocate the use of cracks, but your happy to tell people how to bypass copy protection? That’s a bit hypocritical don’t you think? Don’t take this the wrong way guys, I appreciate the info you provide but I’m just confused. It may even be worth opening a thread to discuss views on this.

Most copyright laws talk in terms of “circumvention” and “circumvention devices”. To date, in most countries, programs like CloneCD, Blindwrite, Alcohol 120% and so on, are apparently legal.

Definitions of circumvention differ from country law to country law so it can be moot discussing what circumvention is and is not. But, I’m not a lawyer and don’t pretend to understand the law.

In Australian law, it would appear that it is legal to backup if:

COPYRIGHT ACT 1968 (incl amendments up to Act No. 34 of 2003)

• SECT 47C
    Back-up copy of computer programs

(1)
Subject to subsection (4), the copyright in a literary work that is a computer program is not infringed by the making of a reproduction of the work if:

…© the reproduction is made for any of the following purposes:

(i) to enable the owner or licensee of the original copy to use the reproduction in lieu of the original copy and to store the original copy;

(ii) to enable the owner or licensee of the original copy to store the reproduction for use in lieu of the original copy if the original copy is lost, destroyed or rendered unusable;

(iii) to enable the owner or licensee of the original copy to use the reproduction in lieu of the original copy, or of another reproduction made under this subsection, if the original copy, or the other reproduction, is lost, destroyed or rendered unusable.

(4)
Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply to the making of a reproduction of a computer program:

(a) from an infringing copy of the computer program; or

(b) if the owner of the copyright in the computer program has so designed the program that copies of it cannot be made without modifying the program; or

© if a licence to use the original copy, given by, or on behalf of, the owner of the copyright in the computer program to the owner of the original copy when the owner of that copy acquired it, has expired or been terminated.
“without modifying the program”…does that include the copy protection? I dunno :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by FutureProof
In Australian law, it would appear that it is legal to backup if:“without modifying the program”…does that include the copy protection? I dunno :stuck_out_tongue: [/B]

The program includes the guard module built into the game executable (and occasionally the setup executable). However, it doesn’t include the physical structure of the cd on which the program is recorded and on which the guard module relies to be effective.

Remember that you own the physical cd (which isn’t copyright) but not the program recorded on it (which is).

A working copy of any copy protected cd is simply a copy recorded in a manner that “fools” the guard module into accepting the physical structure of the burnt cd as being an original. So long as this is done without modifying the program itself (i.e. cracking it), the copy is legal so long as the other conditions are met.

Section 47C(4)(b) of the Australian Copyright Act is one of those wonderfully stupid pieces of legislation that is enacted from time.

It only applies if the copyright owner has succeeded in making it impossible to make a working copy without cracking the program (e.g starforce 3 for the time being). In that case, it’s unnecessary since a cracked copy is illegal anyway.

It has no application where the copyright owner has tried but failed (e.g. safedisc, securom, laserlock, ring protech, etc) to make it impossible to make a working copy without a crack (since, plainly the program is not so designed that copies of it cannot be made without modifying the program). :rolleyes: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I managed to make a working copy of this game on my Lite-On (Read on a Lite-On DVD drive and burnt on a 48x Lite-On CD-RW drive) using Twinpeak but I have to have the CloneCD Tray closed for it to work (and needs to be played in a drive that doesn’t read ATIP’s).

Copy-proteccted CDs… Irritating…

Anyway, I’ve been trying to follow the directions in :bow: here. :bow: The image was read using CloneCD 4.2.0.2 on my Pioneer 16X DVD-ROM drive (Exact model number unknown) and burned on my LG 16X12X40 CD burner. (I should really get the actual model numbers of these things)

My game machine is another system with an Asus DVD-ROM drive. The CD will validate on it, eventually, but it takes up to 10 minutes to do so. Installation isn’t possible with the copy that I have. I am going to make another copy of it with no patch to install off of. I tend to remove and re-install games fairly often. It’s just an old habbit from back in my 200MB hard drive days when having more than 2 games on the system at the same time meant a very full hard disk that took forever to defrag…

Anyway, I’m going to give it another shot, and see if I can’t get a better version going. I have 4 systems with various CD and DVD drives to test on (Although I gather that it’s not worth even trying on a burner)

Thanks, you guys rock! :bow:

–SupraGuy

>(Although I gather that it’s not worth even trying on a burner)

Not true - keep looking and trying :wink:

to keep things on the original topic of how to copy Securom 4.84.81.xxxx

Alcohol with RMPS works very well with this version of securom. Of course it requires that Alcohol be installed on the computer where you play also, and might not be the best solution for some. On the other hand, it may be the only solution for others, as I have not been able to make any working backups of Securom 4.84 obove (and to include) 4.84.84.0064, except for the alcohol/RMPS solution.

Sidenote: Later versions of Securom 4.8 (4.87 and above, and Securom V 5 put a stop to this solution as well, by checking to see if RMPS is on the Disk, or if it is a copy without RMPS, checks to see if RMPS is enabled. If found, the program fails to start.

Think your mistaken there Kid185, the latest version of Alcohol will backup Securom V5 games with no problems. It dosn’t pick up the RMPS when you run the game :slight_smile: