Microsoft: You'll get used to Windows 8 within six weeks

Microsoft: You’ll get used to Windows 8 within six weeks.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/12/21nkw0.png[/newsimage]Technologyreview.com has posted an interview with Julie Larson-Green, head of the Windows product development team at Microsoft.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-youll-get-used-to-windows-8-in-six-weeks-65377/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-youll-get-used-to-windows-8-in-six-weeks-65377/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

People [I]can[/I] get used to almost anything, but that doesn’t mean I’d [I]want[/I] to get used to anything like e.g. using a single/dual window system (“Metro”) when multi-window systems (Windows, MacOS, Unix/Linux/X-11, …) have been around for 20+ years.

I must be an atypical Windows 8 user. I’m in the desktop 98% of the time and totally ignore the new user interface if at all possible. As far as I’m concerned, this woman is completely wrong in her assessment.

And I’d hate any type of touch interface on my desktops. I’d have to build a pivoting arm rest to reach the screen.

I won’t be using Windows 8 unless MS figures out a way to disable all their previous OS’s.
I hate a finger smudged screen for just one thing .
If MS had developed W8 to use just on phones & other small screens then maybe that would be a good thing.

If MS keeps telling us we will like Windows 8 then I think they believe it will really happen. Talk about delusional thinking or maybe they think we are just dumb enough to be brainwashed by them.

If you eat a little bit of shite every day, in about 6 weeks you’ll get used to it.

“Microsoft: You’ll get used to Windows 8 within six weeks”

Yep, and nobody will ever need more than 640K of ram,
Bill Gates is going to give every cent to charity, and Micro Soft
Employees will stop buying their Pharmeseuticals in back
alleys.

Microsoft may have lost much/most of its previous luster, but its arrogance is as great as ever. We’ll “get used to WIndows 8 within six weeks”? Talk about delusional thinking. It’s like saying, as CDan said above, you’ll get used to eating a sh*t sandwich within six weeks. I’ve used Win8 enough to know that the only way they’ll pry WIn7 from my hands is over my cold, dead body.

I got used to it in a couple of hours after I put Classic Start on it…

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2669474]People [I]can[/I] get used to almost anything, but that doesn’t mean I’d [I]want[/I] to get used to [/QUOTE]Indeed. As one well known comedian in my country once said about getting used to: “You can get used to anything, like sticking things where the sun doesn’t shine, but will you like it?”

After 2 months of using, I still wasnt used to not having real printer drivers installed and being able to print photos. I wasnt used to having no mobo drivers installed. I wasnt used to not having Paint Shop Pro being able to work. Among many other programs not being able to work.

And yes, I did try “Compatibility”

At the expense of sounding a hater, I can picture myself the situation.
At one point Microsoft is stuck at in what direction Windows must be headed. They thought that a creative female mind can pour fresh ideas men can’t.

She created ribbon, and now there is metro. Now you can clearly see similarities, both interfaces are like buttons thrown to the screen without any logic, fun?? maybe, in the begginning, practical? no way.

This is how microsoft let a woman design something which over 70% of the power user base are males.

[QUOTE=Dogway;2669582]At the expense of sounding a hater, I can picture myself the situation.
At one point Microsoft is stuck at in what direction Windows must be headed. They thought that a creative female mind can pour fresh ideas men can’t.

She created ribbon, and now there is metro. Now you can clearly see similarities, both interfaces are like buttons thrown to the screen without any logic, fun?? maybe, in the begginning, practical? no way.

This is how microsoft let a woman design something which over 70% of the power user base are males.[/QUOTE]
Very interesting Dogway, can you tell me where you get your facts from this statement?

Posted by Dogway
This is how microsoft let a woman design something which over 70% of the power user base are males

I am just interested, my thought but I have no facts to back them up would be just the opposite.:)

@alan1476: sorry, I’m so obfuscated with how windows is leading since Vista that I had to post what I thought.
I could probably be 100% wrong, is just my opinion. But it doesn’t contradict really what I had said in previous times “that windows is more and more looking like playskool toys”.

It closes the full circle that started with horrible ribbon interface, continued in vista/7, and lastly burst in 8.
Now that I know a woman was behind all this it makes whole sense.

“…he took the lead on the first design briefing for Windows 8 and she also led the introduction of the Ribbon interface in Microsoft Office.”

This makes her my new mortal enemy. The ribbon is just a cluttered mess of icons taking up huge amounts of space. Metro takes of even more space, takes cluttering to a whole new level. I’ll bet it has her idea to force the Ribbon on us in Win 8’s Explorer.

It doesn’t take a genious to predict Julie Larson-Green will only make things harder for us in the future.

PS: Dogway, I completely agree. I used to love new Windows interfaces. Then Microsoft came out with Office 2007. Then Vista. Now, there are some things that have improved. I love Glass Preview. But, many of the things Microsoft has been doing have made absolutely no sense whatsoever.
:Z

Larson-Green must be a very mean lady. :wink:

Looks like I am the first to agree with her.

I was a beta user (Preview…etc) for a while, but have to admit that, like everyone in the above, I spent most of my time on the desktop while occasionally playing with the Start screen. Then I bought and upgraded to the Professional 64 bit version (at $69.00 for the CD at Amazon along with a $30.00 promotional credit, it was a no brainer).

I now find myself living on the Star screen. I have put all of the tiles for my frequently used application (apps or Windows programs) on the far left, where they are quickly available to me (even when I remote from my Win 7 laptop which is every day)…and yes, the Computer title still occupies the top left position (it is cool when you right click, you get the same options as on the desktop). I even added a Recycle Bin tile. Haven’t figured a way to add Control Panel, but that can easily be selected from the Win+X menu (if you haven’t tried this, you really should - quick access to many Windows power user’s tools). You can also get to Control Panel by clicking on the Computer tile (or desktop icon) - it is right there on the ribbon (oh, that’s right, some of you hate the ribbon too).

Hate to disappoint you Microsoft haters and enemies of progress and change, but I cannot see myself ever going back. I would consider upgrading my laptop, except that it is so easy to access my Win 8 desktop from Windows 7 RDP. I even have a batch file that wakes my desktop up from Sleep mode and connects me to it.

Six weeks should do it for the average user - power users should get there faster, if they want to.

If I would install Win8, the first thing I’ll do is wipe out those useless metro apps.
Then the start screen and notifications are left but they’re not a big problem, I think.

I’m looking forward to reading about all those keyboard shortcuts on touch-screens! I’m almost glowing over that ribbon-bar on touch-screens and how productivity in Excel and Project must be going thru the roof!

[QUOTE=blegs38552;2669761]Looks like I am the first to agree with her.

I was a beta user (Preview…etc) for a while, but have to admit that, like everyone in the above, I spent most of my time on the desktop while occasionally playing with the Start screen. Then I bought and upgraded to the Professional 64 bit version (at $69.00 for the CD at Amazon along with a $30.00 promotional credit, it was a no brainer). [/QUOTE]

Yeah agree with her the desktop is where most work is done less you forget not all programs are made for touch screen and plus that doesn’t address the underlying problem of software incompatibility to start.

[QUOTE=blegs38552;2669761]I now find myself living on the Star screen. I have put all of the tiles for my frequently used application (apps or Windows programs) on the far left, where they are quickly available to me (even when I remote from my Win 7 laptop which is every day)…and yes, the Computer title still occupies the top left position (it is cool when you right click, you get the same options as on the desktop). I even added a Recycle Bin tile. Haven’t figured a way to add Control Panel, but that can easily be selected from the Win+X menu (if you haven’t tried this, you really should - quick access to many Windows power user’s tools). You can also get to Control Panel by clicking on the Computer tile (or desktop icon) - it is right there on the ribbon (oh, that’s right, some of you hate the ribbon too).[/QUOTE]

Yeah like I want to scratch up my desktop screen every few months and replace it…Not going to happen. Just think the Ipad thought to be only for finger usage now come with a Keyboard and Mouse…how ironic it was suppose to replace those very two useful items for computing.

[QUOTE=blegs38552;2669761]Hate to disappoint you Microsoft haters and enemies of progress and change, but I cannot see myself ever going back. I would consider upgrading my laptop, except that it is so easy to access my Win 8 desktop from Windows 7 RDP. I even have a batch file that wakes my desktop up from Sleep mode and connects me to it.[/QUOTE]

Actually there aren’t hater but those that actually used the W8 and tossed it out and since your willing to use the word “Hater” it only leads me to believe you already thought most were haters before even knowing their experiences thus making your reply just mutt. To call other names or “hater” exposes your true character and that you offer no real substance to the discussion.

[QUOTE=blegs38552;2669761]Six weeks should do it for the average user - power users should get there faster, if they want to.[/QUOTE]

Mine was less then a week and back to windows 7. Hate to burst your bubble but it hasn’t been received well…I have more important financial matter and personal things that need be done on computer and the more time I waste fixing W8 the more time and money I loss. That is in no interest of anybody public or business…

I find myself liking the start screen more than the start menu myself. I do not see myself going back to the start menu either. Navigating Windows 8 is just as easy and fast as it is in Win 7–at least it is for me. The only thing that I find takes more time (a few seconds more that is) is turning the computer off, which can be fixed by placing a short cut on the start menu. Either way it is not that big of a deal.