'Microsoft working on Windows 10 version specifically designed for high-end PCs'

Originally published at: http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-working-windows-10-version-specifically-designed-high-end-pcs-82098/

Microsoft is reportedly working on a Windows 10 Pro version that is optimized for workstations. The OS should be able to run on PCs with 4 CPUs and features Microsoft’s ReFS file system.

Hmm… I’ve never heard of the ReFS filesystem before. I’ll have to read more about it. Of course, it’s only a matter of time before Microsoft decides that <4 CPUs/CPU cores is “legacy” and therefore “unsupported”.

[quote=“system, post:1, topic:398617”]
Windows 10 Pro for Workstation PCs will also feature the SMB Direct protocol that should speed up file transfers due to low latency and low CPU load.[/quote]

You know, SMB has been around since the Windows 3.x days, so it probably doesn’t need to use much CPU anyway (at least, not by today’s standards). Of course, knowing Microsoft, they probably found a way to bloat their implementation of SMB, and rather than de-bloat it, they just added another implementation on the side (thus causing even more code bloat).

Really!? Who on earth made that stupid limitation!? Did Microsoft do it on purpose so they could charge Alienware users more money to use the hardware they already paid for? I’m willing to bet this “high-end” version costs way more than the regular version.

They need to support EXT4 file system which is better than NTFS.