Microsoft withdraws ‘November Update’ update files

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft withdraws ‘November Update’ update files[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/07/myce-windows-10-here-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Microsoft has made it impossible to manually install the latest Windows 10 build (1511) using the Media Creation Tool. Previously it was possible to upgrade using the tool but Microsoft has withdrawn the update files.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-withdraws-november-update-update-files-77850/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-withdraws-november-update-update-files-77850/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Not my circus, not my monkeys … and here it is again!

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2763984]Not my circus, not my monkeys … and here it is again!

Thank you for sharing :flower:

[B]Oh man, the Microsoft ‘Romp & Stomp’ flea circus again…[/B] :smiley:

Official statement

Recently we learned of an issue that could have impacted an extremely small number of people who had already installed Windows 10 and applied the November update. Once these customers installed the November update, a few of their settings preferences may have inadvertently not been retained. For these customers, we will restore their settings over the coming days and we apologize for the inconvenience. We worked to resolve the issue as quickly as possible - it will not impact future installs of the November update, which is available today.
I can not help but becoming in a good ‘kick-in-the-butt’ humor mode when reading things like “could have impacted an extremely small number of people” with no indication of numbers and voiced by Microsoft officials.
O.k. like how many? Only 98% then?[B] :bigsmile:[/B]

In this type of upgrade, Windows Setup is supposed to migrate all user settings to the new installation. But in this case, four settings were inadvertently left off that list and were reset to their default values:* Let apps use my advertising ID

• Turn on SmartScreen Filter for web content
  • Let apps run in the background
  • Sync with devices
    [B]Is it just me?[/B]
    I have had to re-apply privacy setting which were reset several times since the OS was released.
    What strikes me as a little odd is that the updates have [B][I]inadvertently[/I][/B] reset privacy settings mostly. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2763989][B]Is it just me?[/B]
I have had to re-apply privacy setting which were reset several times since the OS was released.
What strikes me as a little odd is that the updates have [B][I]inadvertently[/I][/B] reset privacy settings mostly. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

In my case, it silently turned on fast start-up again on my laptop and it’s not the first time either since upgrading to Windows 10.

I already had an OS crash when Windows 8.1 kept doing this as my laptop is dual-boot with the second OS on a separate SSD (using its ODD bay enclosure.) When fast start-up is enabled, Windows goes into partial hibernation when “Shut down” and in turn keeps files open, including to the file system. So when I boot the OS on the second drive, it sees that something is not right with the other SSD just like an unsafe shutdown, performs a check disk and attempts repairs. So when I later boot the primary SSD, it does not know that the file system was altered, particularly with handles to files and the file system that were still open in the hibernated state and can lead to a rather nasty mess the next time the OS is booted.

It’s now come to the point where each time I need to boot into the other OS, I have to first check that “Fast start-up” is disabled and the same again in Windows 10 on the second SSD which also intermittently turns that setting back on. :doh:

I have 1511 on a USB stick LOL, I think it still works.