Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (Upgrade) Price

vbimport

I didn’t look around for the best price, but at Wal-Mart, the price of Windows Vista Ultimate (Upgrade) is $258.88

Since, most home users, like myself, would only need the “upgrade” vs. full, I don’t think the price is all that bad for someone who wants Vista Ultimate.

He!!, the Vista Home Basic (Upgrade) is under $99.

For most people a PC is really just a luxury anyway…so getting the new Vista is a “luxury in a luxury”. To all the people that whines about the price: Go get some cheese or Linux instead!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5459676

Ultimate version will costs € 599.99 in Europe, i.e. 774.947084 US Dollars (I used Google to do the conversion). Upgrade from XP to Ultimate version will costs € 399.99, i.e. 516.627084 US Dollars (again conversion done with Google)

I don’t think that I’ll buy Vista :wink:

I’m not going to buy it anytime soon, but I will buy it in a years time (or so). Like I said…it’s a luxury item.

ROFL, wow :clap: i think you are a bit confused there bucko, he said it costs 599 EUROS, IN EUROPE!! Converted to DOLLARS this is $774. You guys get it cheaper. He says he wont be buying vista because of how much we europeans get ripped off.

I read these info on a newspaper today and I reported here prices. Actually I have no idea about prices on stores :doh:

Tariffs and taxes from your governments homes.

lol? Excuse me? What has government homes got to do with anything? Second, this thread is a complete waste of time, and clearly YOU are a MS Fanboy zealot to be making a thread which soul purpose is to state that ‘pc’s are luxuries?’ :rolleyes: Yeah ok, What are you a mormon? And then to tell people that if they do not buy Vista it’s because they dont need the ‘luxury’? Pfft, Looks like this thread gets the waste of time vote for the day. :iagree: :clap:

Homes…as in “homeboy”. LOL …like saying “Tariffs and taxes from your governments mate”…“Tariffs and taxes from your governments dude”.

Just like your gas prices…you pay more because of higher taxes.

Lol!

Computers … make work easier & life harder :stuck_out_tongue:
Vista … get the most price out of the least performance :wink:

Chill out guys. :wink:

I can’t see me switching to Vista for quite some time (rather buy burners and media :bigsmile: ). And I agree with the insaneHatted One :wink:

IMHO, there is little reason to buy the full (non-upgrade) versions of Windows Vista, unless you don’t have a legitimate copy of Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

On the other hand, installing from an upgrade disk onto an empty hard drive is slightly more complicated than from a full, non-upgrade install disk: You must provide a legit installation/setup disk from Windows 2000 or XP in order for the setup program on the upgrade to verify your copy.

With all that said, here are the full MSRP’s (in the US) of all of the editions of Windows Vista:

[ul][li]Ultimate (non-upgrade), $399.95
[/li][li]Ultimate (upgrade), $259.95
[/li][li]Business (non-upgrade), $299.95
[/li][li]Business (upgrade), $199.95
[/li][li]Home Premium (non-upgrade), $239.95
[/li][li]Home Premium (upgrade), $159.95
[/li][li]Home Basic (non-upgrade), $199.95
[/li][li]Home Basic (upgrade), $99.95
[/li][/ul]

For most power home users, I’d recommend the Home Premium edition rather than the other editions, since it provides the best value in the group. Of the others, I’d only recommend the Home Basic edition if your PC either has a slow, sub-2GHz-class CPU or an old or slow graphics subsystem. And the Ultimate Edition is nice to have, but not entirely essential, IMHO.

Even at that, I’d still hold off on such an operating-system upgrade until at least the first service pack for Vista is released.

Lol. Who doesn’t have 100 legitimate copies lying around thanks to their workplace IT upgrades? :slight_smile:

No, closer to Baptist. :bigsmile:

Okay…I’ve got it out of my system now. :bigsmile:

Actually, IT departments in medium to large-sized businesses usually buy separate licenses/volume keys for each computer (with each license having a different serial number); they get one master copy plus a few backup copies of the operating-system installation/setup disk. This policy is called volume licensing.

However legitimate those installation disks are, they can become illegitimate if any of those copies leave the workplace. Once that happens, who knows what might happen next?

But you’re assuming that every company is a large one with VLK’s :wink:
Mine has less than 100 people, with IT hardware bought rather randomly, without a dedicated IT department, and VLK aren’t suitable, since most PC’s aren’t standardised, aren’t in a single location and aren’t ordered from a single location. So generally each PC ends up with it’s own copy of Windows via an oem licence.

And you only need to maintain a certain amount of hardware to maintain a valid OEM key :slight_smile:

In this case, then you could be right. However, you failed to mention that (during the Windows XP era) some computer makers don’t even give you an installation disk for Windows - only a restore disk or a restore partrtion on the system’s hard drive! (And neither a restore disk nor a restore partition counts as a full installation copy of Windows, thus forcing the owner to perform an upgrade operation after that system’s original operating system is up and running, increasing the likelihood of a conflict between old and new operating system files, which in turn will worsen the reliability/stability of the system.) Thus, in order to restore a corrupted Windows installation on those systems with only the restore partition on their hard disks, the owner is supposed to return the entire system to the manufacturer’s service center for the restore. (HP/Compaq is notorious for refusing to even supply a Windows installation disk, while Dell generally charges extra to ship you a Windows installation disk which doesn’t come standard on their systems to begin with.)

Any OS that costs more than it costs to build a decent system is a ripoff in my book. :wink:

Lol! Bam!
The whole “upgrade” thing is gonna be a nightmare for soooo many people! Business as usual then :wink:
I think I suggested disposal & replacement of the last “Win2K upgraded to XP” machine a long time ago (thank god).

A pity to those millions of people who bought systems from some of the mass-market superstore brands. I’ve recently encountered such a pre-built system bought by a friend of mine - and he did not even get a restore disk at all, let alone a Windows install disk. (In his case, the “restore” program is actually locked onto a hidden partition, which can only be accessed by the PC manufacturer’s service center, on his new system’s hard drive.)

Why not get the OEM Premium version
£62 It is the same as the full version except no M$ support.
No problem. Install and activate it then do a backup of the clean install with acronis backup home 10. SORTED!!!