Microsoft Windows Media Player 10 beta adds Janus technology

I just posted the article Microsoft Windows Media Player 10 beta adds Janus technology.

DamnedIfIknow used our news submit to let us know that Microsoft has released a  beta test version of Windows Media Player 10 which adds Janus support.  Janus is a new DRM  technology ...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8435-Microsoft-Windows-Media-Player-10-beta-adds-Janus-technology.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8435-Microsoft-Windows-Media-Player-10-beta-adds-Janus-technology.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Why dont i trust a technology called janus wich is a god of doorways who has 2 faces. Is Microsoft showing 1 of his faces and opening some doorway at the same time?? Well i think its time for my medication :wink:

No it’s named after the developer: Hugh Janus :+

lol, that’s funny depending on how you pronounce Janus. And I’m kinda sick of articles telling people to switch to Linux. I use BSD and I try to convince other’s to switch before it’s too late. Well they respond by saying “I’ll wait until then and you can help me switch after”. People don’t realize or even care that they are being locked into Windows and that there will come a point when they can’t get free copies of Office 2007 or Longhorn SE. Like Global Warming, it’s not enough to tell people it might happen since most are just so dumb they will wait until it’s too late and then turn to us intellectuals and say “Ok, what do I do now?”. The sad fact is, we might need a truly malicous viruses or someone to start screwing with people’s water systems before anyone listens. And even then people will still be like “Well why didn’t you warn us eariler” or they’ll say “Well what was I supposed to do?”. I hope everybody is happy with their new MNE overlords that lock in DRM and pay off local officials to make freedom illegal.

Yer starting to hit the target big cheese…if you have dealt with drug addicts you realise after a while you have to walk away, you can’t help people who won’t help themselves…same goes for some computer users… :X

I agree with ya Big Cheese and Sherrif…but I also disagree with you. Why? Simple. It’s because OpenSource is still some way off before it can be effectively marketed as a desktop OS (Mandrake 10 is certainly heading that way though!)- by that I mean, it must be easy to use and navigate (point and click, Plug and Play, and whatever else make an OS easy to use). Until then, home users will still shy away from Linux. I’ve used OpenSource almost a decade now and I’m still learning (even as an IT professional). So you guys can imagine what a home user can/can’t do in Linux or OpenSource Land. To be the next usable and competitive OS, flavours of Linux must be so easy to use that even a novice home user can accomplish much without scratching his head or thumping the keyboard most times… Do you agree?

I don’t want OpenSource to turn into Windws. Trying to be a cheap sustitute at anything will lead to failure. Linux will have no merit if all it does is emulate software from Windws, People will say, no, I will say “What’s the point when Windows already has all of those things”. The day OpenOffice has a little Paperclip pop up on my screen will be a sad day indeed. If OpenSource can’t stand on it’s own like Windws can (Linux doesnt seem to as much anymore, thankfully Open/NetBSD seem to) then it should just die. I hate alot of Linux geeks i used to know, cause they’re all biggots now! Btw I taught my MOM! yes my 52 year old MOM! how to use FreeBSD. I just wish other adept Unix people we’re as willing to teach as me As an IT guy, you have to learn how to setup Packet Filters for networks, and how to debug kernels and stuff. My mom doesn’t. But the people I don’t like are those who recognize a problem, but don’t care. They assume others will solve it for them. I’m talking about my above post, the people who won’t even use Mozilla yet complain about pop-ups and mysterious toolbars to me weekly. F** them. When someone asks me ten times on my gaim to fix their IE and refuses to switch to Mozilla cause it isn’t IE, I just Block them now.
[Foul language removed]
[edited by seanbyrne on 04.06.2004 12:50]

I agree with you about people being lazy and don’t have the initiative. But look at Linux flavours at the moment - the only ones that have minimal (sometimes a lot of) stress using Linux are pretty much IT professionals. In case something goes wrong, we will know how to fix it. But average home users won’t have a clue what to do. Corporate users are OK cause they can ask their IT Helpdesk for help. I too agree that Linux should not be “another” Windows. But without Linux being easy to use, the only choice people have is Windows. The bottom line is: we can ask people to switch to Linux ONLY if Linux is easy enough to learn without having to pay fee for requesting external help or having someone in the family who is an IT professional. I have taught my parents to use Mandrake but their unbiased perception at the end of the day is that Linux is still difficult to use. Who knows in another 2-4 years my parents might change their view of Linux. Until then…
[edited by icepax on 04.06.2004 13:45]
[edited by icepax on 04.06.2004 13:47]

What did we windows users do before win 3.1…I have kids nowdays asking me what dos is…anything “hands on” will be treated as a rearing snake by those who don’t give a rats arse about whats going on behind the curtain…me …I’m curious…I like to know…remember “a little knowledge is a dangerous thing”…:X

As for open source software. A lot is great - better than commercial alternatives. A lot is also ‘unusable’ junk with needless complexity and poor design. As it is in the commercial world. It all depends. As icepax mentioned, I too think Linux and other open source OSs have a LONG way to go to become a “Joe User” alternative, IMO. When I talk “Joe User” I really mean JOE USER. Perhaps not most of us here… That said, it’s fulfilling its role quite well on the server end, and most smart companies are starting to realise the benefits of open source and not being locked into one vendor with proprietary standards… As for this Windows Media Player technology. Please, let’s not even go there. LOL. We’ll see how “great” the reaction to all this DRM stuff really is. I welcome all the restrictions they’re handing out and all their hope in a new industry flourishing. Because it will :slight_smile: Only not as they expect it…

“there will come a point when they can’t get free copies of Office 2007 or Longhorn SE.” They’re not entitled to free copies of anything. They have to pay for it like any other fair person. If you want to be a thief then well and good - however, don’t use that premise as an excuse to switch OSs. You come across as a spoiled little brat when you do. For the record I’m pro Open Source. However, only the most delusional would claim that it is equal to Windows in terms of ease of use, configurability and hardware support. This is why unless the landscape changes, Open Source OSs will remain where they have always been: “also rans” in the desktop race. Finally, DRM == Evil and rape of the rights of consumers End of story.
[edited by Roj on 04.06.2004 16:40]

Regarding: ““there will come a point when they can’t get free copies of Office 2007 or Longhorn SE.” They’re not entitled to free copies of anything. They have to pay for it like any other fair person. If you want to be a thief then well and good - however, don’t use that premise as an excuse to switch OSs. You come across as a spoiled little brat when you do.” IMO, I stand somewhere in the middle. Someone’s work shouldn’t be free and we should pay for it, but if you’re like me and own four computers in one household, those licenses add up! I believe you should be able to buy once, have and original disk and legit serial but able to install it on as many computers as you own. Just an idea (and it may be a bad one), for Bill’s protection, they could use an I.P. check that can be used to validate all the PCs being in the same househould. For static IPs, it would have to validate the IP against the ISP’s IP database. I believe open source is the way of the future but much needs to be develped if it is to be targeted to average joe at home. It amazes me how many people are just managing to use Windows (of course they’ll invite over for dinner once in awhile and slip in a, “by the way I’ve meaning to ask you, how do you…?” I’m sure most of us in this forum have experience this in one way or another. Like Mac, they are a uniquely different OS than Windows, but many find Mac pretty easy to learn. And that’s what we need, a unique OS that’s easy to use/learn. And I’m sure that with time it will be available, hopefully before we are all screaming “help us out of this Microsoft nightmare!”.

Janus was the project name for the cloning technology in the Judge Dredd film :o Maybe Billy boy is trying to clone people who accept DRM and then unleash an army of pro DRM supporters to backup the legitimacy of the technology and thus force the rest of the world into outright submission?!?!? (cue Maniacal Laughter) I wouldn’t put anything past Evil Dr Gates :d

Oh, I forgot to add, for those of who saw and remember Adam Sandler’s Waterboy… Microsoft and DRM IS THE DEVIL!:d

“IMO, I stand somewhere in the middle. Someone’s work shouldn’t be free and we should pay for it, but if you’re like me and own four computers in one household, those licenses add up! I believe you should be able to buy once, have and original disk and legit serial but able to install it on as many computers as you own.” I agree completely.

I’ve argued long and hard about this with friends…sure I believe a fair wage for a fair days work and if your a programmer that applies to you also, but don’t expect me to pay lotsa dollars for buggy, bloated, missconceived trash released before completion for financial gain. I don’t accept that standard in anything else I purchase, why should I for software. You want to cross that line, I look for alternatives or “freebies”… :X

@icepax When something goes wrong with Windows, most people still don’t know what to do. I don’t see how that’s too different from Linux. Most people just format and reinstall Windows when their is a problem. Nowadays, with Mandrake and RedHat, this format and reinstall process (which I have avoided for a long time on BSD) is only a little harder than doing it on Windows:d It’s just the backup part I’m not sure about. If mandrake has a good backup program, then it’s set :stuck_out_tongue:

Still bloated and still no Ogg Vorbis support :frowning: