Microsoft: Windows 8 Start menu 'not just a replacement'

vbimport

Microsoft: Windows 8 Start menu ‘not just a replacement’.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/10/YA1PBK.jpg[/newsimage]Microsoft has already made it clear it sees Windows 8 as a re-imagining of the popular platform. And after weeks of talking up myriad new elements - from app store support to improving copy management - the software giant is revisiting the beginning: the Windows Start menu.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-windows-8-start-menu-not-just-a-replacement-52766/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-windows-8-start-menu-not-just-a-replacement-52766/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

The start menu is largely irrelevant past initial setup of a coputer, because seasoned windows users either create desktop icons
(I have several for things that are normally buried four menus back in the bowels of windows)

And as mentioned above there is the task bar for other things.

Frankly, I am still mystified that they decided to “hide” the "show desktop"taskbar button.

AD

The first thing I did when I download and installed this preview was to look around how to remove the MetroUI and go back to the classic start menu and retain the ribbon in the file manager. Found it and it works well. Would I upgrade from Win 7 .? Not at this point…

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2606578]The start menu is largely irrelevant past initial setup of a coputer, because seasoned windows users either create desktop icons
(I have several for things that are normally buried four menus back in the bowels of windows)

And as mentioned above there is the task bar for other things.

Frankly, I am still mystified that they decided to “hide” the "show desktop"taskbar button.

AD[/QUOTE]
Are you serious?

I loved windows 7 because I could pin/group together regularly used documents on the start bar/quick launch bar, and my most common folders & programs can be found pinned to the quick launch bar, but at the same time, I have tens of programs that I don’t use regularly enough to pin to the quick launch, or even the start menu.

I find myself jumping in and out of the start menu tens of times a day to access these “rarely used” programs.

If all of them were pinned to my quick launch, or added to my desktop as icons, I wouldn’t have room for anything else.

I love the personalised menus in the start menu, those rare programs are unhidden, and all the “common” programs which are pinned are conveniently hidden …

Windows 8 is a monstrosity that appears to be attempting to satisfy every market, and failing miserably.

The start menu just looks horrible. At least there is a way to go back to classic UI.

[QUOTE=debro;2606632]Are you serious?

I loved windows 7 because I could pin/group together regularly used documents on the start bar/quick launch bar, and my most common folders & programs can be found pinned to the quick launch bar, but at the same time, I have tens of programs that I don’t use regularly enough to pin to the quick launch, or even the start menu.

I find myself jumping in and out of the start menu tens of times a day to access these “rarely used” programs.

If all of them were pinned to my quick launch, or added to my desktop as icons, I wouldn’t have room for anything else.

I love the personalised menus in the start menu, those rare programs are unhidden, and all the “common” programs which are pinned are conveniently hidden …

Windows 8 is a monstrosity that appears to be attempting to satisfy every market, and failing miserably.[/QUOTE]

while I agree that the new start menu is a monstrosity, it can be turned to a classic view.

I also run Windows7 (on three machines) and the very first thing I do is actually change the control panel view to “Large Icons”, I knew when I first saw windows 7 that they were going to continue to “cartoonize” pages and menues, but as they retained a means to display stuff the “old way” it really wasn’t an issue

I’m probably operating differently from you, and my desktop (on my 24" HD screen) is hardly “cluttered” nor is my taskbar full.

But then again for things that WOULD clutter my screen (the seperate icons for M$ Office) are all under a desktop Icon that opens a menu to the various office functions.

But then again I have three desktop computers that are exclusively “mine” and none of them are particularly cluttered, because I don’t need each computer to DO “everything”. Notebooks are another discussion all together.

I frankly don’t like doing security sensitive things on a computer that isn’t (literally) chained down.

AD

Win 8, makes a 58 Edsel look good!

ugh i kind of like windows 7. you can pin regularly used programs to the taskbar (and you can hover over it, to see different version of the program you have open).

I have some well used programs pinned to the start menu (and disabled history) so that they don’t get bummped. The rest I have as shortcuts on the desktop. Pretty much anything I’d ever remotely need (some put into desktop folders for organization).

I’d have a hard time adapting to a major revamp of windows. While I like android on my phone, I’m not so sure I’d like that on a PC…

to be honest since windows vista I only use the program menu to type in the search bar but there are plenty who would be totally lost. I have seen plenty of pcs that use the pre xp “classic start menu” ,some people just don’t like change