Microsoft: Windows 8 sales comparable to Windows 7

Microsoft: Windows 8 sales comparable to Windows 7.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/12/yS4He.jpg[/newsimage]While there is still a lot of criticism on Windows 8 the software is selling well, if we have to believe Microsoft. 

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-windows-8-sales-comparable-to-windows-7-65640/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-windows-8-sales-comparable-to-windows-7-65640/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Yes, but how many of those OEM machines will never boot into Windoze 8?
Pulled the drive from my new laptop, hooked it to my desktop machine and nuked the entire drive before even the first power up! Win 7 with a virtual XP machine now happily reside upon it.
Don’t think I’m the only one smart enough to do this.

Here we go, we’re going to get 38 comments about how much Windows 8 sucks.

[QUOTE=CharmedonWB;2672221]Here we go, we’re going to get 38 comments about how much Windows 8 sucks.[/QUOTE]You really shouldn’t worry about what anyone else thinks about Windows 8, as long as you like it.
I’m a Win8 user as well, and I like it and I couldn’t care less what anyone else thinks about Windows 8.

Let the folks who want to be stuck in the dark ages with XP, do their own thing. :slight_smile:

Many of us have walked away from XP and fully embraced Windows7… and think Windows8 is a change too far.

Windows 8 is faster and uses less memory than Windows 7.

If you don’t like metro pay the $5 and get Start8. Its now Windows 7 but faster.

With regards to the topic. Its slightly misleading as the cheapest Windows 7 ever was was £50. I bought Windows 8 for £15 on release pretending I had a Pc with it on and it can still be had for £25.

There is a reason it is being sold at bargain basement prices. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=UTR;2672258]There is a reason it is being sold at bargain basement prices. :)[/QUOTE]

Its basically Windows 7 Service Pack 3.

If you have a low powered system I think this is the OS to get

[QUOTE=Dee;2672227]You really shouldn’t worry about what anyone else thinks about Windows 8, as long as you like it.
I’m a Win8 user as well, and I like it and I couldn’t care less what anyone else thinks about Windows 8.

Let the folks who want to be stuck in the dark ages with XP, do their own thing. :)[/QUOTE]It just amazes me how most of these threads have on average 5-10 replies and any post that spins Windows 8 in a positive light usually ends up with over 30 posts.

I use the reviews at Newegg to get a sense of how well a product is received by the general public. Windows 7 has just 5% of reviewers giving it 1 or 2 stars and 76% gave it 5 stars. By contrast, Windows 8 has 44% of reviewers giving it 1 or 2 stars and only 35% giving it 5 stars. It seems like there is a valid reason for the negative comments… most people don’t like it.

I’ve been having compatibility issues with Windows 8 since I started using it. I don’t understand the sales. It’s another gimmick to me. BSODs galore with Anti-Virus programs, etc. IMO it’s just too soon to upgrade, as Windows 7 is excellent.

I’m pleased people like Windows 8, that is a good thing these days. Finding something you like is just one of those things that make life worthwhile. BUT! it’s not for everyone I have really tried to get on with 8 on a desktop and I really dislike it.
So, I will stick to 7. I find it more productive for the things I use a computer for, others may find 8 better? I borrowed a pad with 8 on it, yeah, OK as it was on my lap and I could use the touch screen, but not much use for the serious stuff on a limited pad.

I fell in to 7 as if I was pre programmed for it, I found it easy, versatile and attractive looking from the start. Windows 8 looked awful and someone said it looked like an ATM screen, I agree. OK, you can bypass or skip the start screen, err it’s still horrible to me.

My feelings are that Windows 8 was released far too soon after 7, this may be Microsoft’s efforts to unify an O/S on all platforms, understandable from a business point of view, but not good as a practical working idea. A tablet/phone touch version plus a desktop version with optional touch in my opinion would have been better.

Oh and the other thing that will probably annoy some is the way Android works so much better on phones and pads, just my opinion.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2672320]I’m pleased people like Windows 8, that is a good thing these days. Finding something you like is just one of those things that make life worthwhile. BUT! it’s not for everyone I have really tried to get on with 8 on a desktop and I really dislike it.
So, I will stick to 7. I find it more productive for the things I use a computer for, others may find 8 better? I borrowed a pad with 8 on it, yeah, OK as it was on my lap and I could use the touch screen, but not much use for the serious stuff on a limited pad.

I fell in to 7 as if I was pre programmed for it, I found it easy, versatile and attractive looking from the start. Windows 8 looked awful and someone said it looked like an ATM screen, I agree. OK, you can bypass or skip the start screen, err it’s still horrible to me.

My feelings are that Windows 8 was released far too soon after 7, this may be Microsoft’s efforts to unify an O/S on all platforms, understandable from a business point of view, but not good as a practical working idea. A tablet/phone touch version plus a desktop version with optional touch in my opinion would have been better.

Oh and the other thing that will probably annoy some is the way Android works so much better on phones and pads, just my opinion.[/QUOTE]
At least your criticism towards Windows 8 is constructive and that is something I can appreciate. I can actually operate in Windows 8 faster than I can in Windows 7. For me the start screen is so much more efficient than the start menu–mind you it took a few days to adjust to it though, at first I could not stand it. The only BSOD I had was from Avast and that has been “fixed”.

[QUOTE=Dee;2672227]Let the folks who want to be stuck in the dark ages with XP, do their own thing. :)[/QUOTE] I am very happy with my Dos 3.3 system thank you very much! :a

TBH I’ve never tried Windows 8 but Windows 7 does everything I need so I wouldn’t pay to upgrade.

Or perhaps that’s downgrade in some people’s eyes. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=olddancer;2672220]Yes, but how many of those OEM machines will never boot into Windoze 8?
Pulled the drive from my new laptop, hooked it to my desktop machine and nuked the entire drive before even the first power up! Win 7 with a virtual XP machine now happily reside upon it.
Don’t think I’m the only one smart enough to do this.[/QUOTE]

How did you do this?

#39: Windows 8 is merely next step in moving the sheep to a monthly subscription computing plan. Microsoft has been trying to accomplish this feat for many years but the general body of computer users was smart enough to thwart their plans every time. But recent generations have mostly been nontechnical and unsophisticated; with the last generation having their heads so far up their cell phones that Microsoft, the marketing geniuses that they are, finally noticed two things: (1) this and future generations have been, and will be, trained to pay for their digital access (ie, the cell phone, digital TV, etc.) by the month or by the minute, and (2) the user interface has to be über simple and idiot-proof because … well, you probably won’t get it anyhow so never mind.

So the “new” windows is just a stripped down version (of XP I am guessing) with a cell phone interface. The next windows will likely be cloud-based using a web browser engine with a limited level of functionality for those poor folks who still don’t have hi-speed Internet access. Microsoft is already pushing cloud-based Office programs … er, I mean apps (Microsoft renamed their programs as “apps” so the kids will recognize the terminology).

So what you’re going to see here in the way of complaints is essentially all the old power users who are used to doing something useful on their computers compared to the latest generation who basically spends their time skyping daddy (who lives in a hotel in China now), facebooking their bff-de-jour, and sharing pics of various parts of their anatomy with their tweetees via pic-app-de-jour.

It’s kind of amusing in one regard. Simple computing for the simple has always been Apple’s secret. It took Microsoft [I]how[/I] many decades to reach that level of zen, so to speak? Jobs really was a genius. Bill’s genius was in “selling” the sheep but Jobs knew what would “draw” the sheep to him which is infinitely more powerful.

As for the XP bashers: ho ho ho. You only expose your naivete and simple-mindedness denigrating XP. It runs rock solid. The ancient Pentium XP computer downstairs has been running for at least 6 months now and shows no signs of needing to be restarted even though my grandson is on it several hours a day. My Pentium D XP in the office only gets restarted when there is an update (and then ONLY when I say so*). I dread having to replace it since inquiries have already shown that some of the software I use is not supported on Win-de-jour and upgrades will run thousands of dollars.

*We recently added a laptop to the network. It had the win-de-jour (aka Win7) and we’ve noticed (besides the clumsiest user interface I’ve seen yet) that Microsoft now controls your computer via the Internet. Several times we’ve lost work when Microsoft remotely rebooted the computer without asking if it was a convenient time. Turns out this is a “feature” for updating the Microsoft mess and they regard it as a “good thing”. I guess it’s no surprise this same crew thinks Win8 is nirvana.

ciao! :cool:

[QUOTE=ttocsmij;2672353]#39: Windows 8 is merely next step in moving the sheep to a monthly subscription computing plan. Microsoft has been trying to accomplish this feat for many years but the general body of computer users was smart enough to thwart their plans every time. But recent generations have mostly been nontechnical and unsophisticated; with the last generation having their heads so far up their cell phones that Microsoft, the marketing geniuses that they are, finally noticed two things: (1) this and future generations have been, and will be, trained to pay for their digital access (ie, the cell phone, digital TV, etc.) by the month or by the minute, and (2) the user interface has to be über simple and idiot-proof because … well, you probably won’t get it anyhow so never mind.

So the “new” windows is just a stripped down version (of XP I am guessing) with a cell phone interface. The next windows will likely be cloud-based using a web browser engine with a limited level of functionality for those poor folks who still don’t have hi-speed Internet access. Microsoft is already pushing cloud-based Office programs … er, I mean apps (Microsoft renamed their programs as “apps” so the kids will recognize the terminology).

So what you’re going to see here in the way of complaints is essentially all the old power users who are used to doing something useful on their computers compared to the latest generation who basically spends their time skyping daddy (who lives in a hotel in China now), facebooking their bff-de-jour, and sharing pics of various parts of their anatomy with their tweetees via pic-app-de-jour.

It’s kind of amusing in one regard. Simple computing for the simple has always been Apple’s secret. It took Microsoft [I]how[/I] many decades to reach that level of zen, so to speak? Jobs really was a genius. Bill’s genius was in “selling” the sheep but Jobs knew what would “draw” the sheep to him which is infinitely more powerful.

As for the XP bashers: ho ho ho. You only expose your naivete and simple-mindedness denigrating XP. It runs rock solid. The ancient Pentium XP computer downstairs has been running for at least 6 months now and shows no signs of needing to be restarted even though my grandson is on it several hours a day. My Pentium D XP in the office only gets restarted when there is an update (and then ONLY when I say so*). I dread having to replace it since inquiries have already shown that some of the software I use is not supported on Win-de-jour and upgrades will run thousands of dollars.

*We recently added a laptop to the network. It had the win-de-jour (aka Win7) and we’ve noticed (besides the clumsiest user interface I’ve seen yet) that Microsoft now controls your computer via the Internet. Several times we’ve lost work when Microsoft remotely rebooted the computer without asking if it was a convenient time. Turns out this is a “feature” for updating the Microsoft mess and they regard it as a “good thing”. I guess it’s no surprise this same crew thinks Win8 is nirvana.

ciao! :cool:[/QUOTE]Spoken like a true relic, indeed. :smiley:

XP is for power users? :eek:
Well maybe, providing they don’t need native support for the latest hardware. :slight_smile:
No native USB3 support.
No TRIM support for SSDs, ermmm, come to think of it, XP can’t even align an HDD partition correctly when it creates it. :smiley:

"XP is rock solid"
Mines wasn’t. :slight_smile:

"Win8 is a stripped down version of XP"
Nope, It’s basically Win7 with some performance tweaks, native support for new hardware, and a different start menu (which some seem to hate).

“If we had to believe Microsoft?”

It occurs to me that the only people who might have any real insight to the sales of Windows 8 are the people who capitalize on it. It’s true that business people can be as deceiving as politicians, but they’re the only ones who even have the slightest clue.

Of course, they could be wrong, as OEM versions (many WILL be downgraded) could also be part of these calculations.

[QUOTE=CharmedonWB;2672323]At least your criticism towards Windows 8 is constructive and that is something I can appreciate. I can actually operate in Windows 8 faster than I can in Windows 7. For me the start screen is so much more efficient than the start menu–mind you it took a few days to adjust to it though, at first I could not stand it. The only BSOD I had was from Avast and that has been “fixed”.[/QUOTE]

I also had a BSOD from Avast, which was quite disconcerting, as it was right after a brand new clean install of Windows 8. Since then, I’ve been using Zone Alarm Free Firewall + Anti-Virus. How did you get around to fixing the BSOD (as I just had this issue with the latest version of Avast only a week ago)?