Microsoft: Windows 7 and 8 PCs noticeably slower after Spectre and Meltdown patches, Windows 10 PCs not

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-windows-7-8-pcs-noticeably-slower-spectre-meltdown-patches-windows-10-pcs-not-83409/

Microsoft’s Executive Vice President of Windows, Terry Myerson, stated today that devices with older Windows versions like Windows 7 and Windows 8, and many servers, will be noticeably slower after the Meltdown and Spectre security patches are applied.

Another Loose term for Financial Gains for Microsoft…

Funny how the one copy of Windows MS wants to sell you is the only one not effected. Want to wager they planned it this way to sell W10 copies?

@UTR
@CoolColors

Actually, this vulnerability was caused by a design flaw in Intel processors. More specifically, it’s my understanding that it’s caused by an issue in the predictive processing (or whatever it’s called) that is performed by Intel’s more recent-ish processors. Consequently, it’s possible to for a carefully-designed userspace program to gain kernel privileges, allowing said program to do virtually anything. It is theoretically possible to write JS programs that do this. If such scripts were loaded in a web page, millions of people would be compromised in a shockingly short amount of time.

Since this is a CPU bug, it affects all operating systems that use these processors. It doesn’t matter if you’re running Windows 7, Windows 10, GNU/Linux, *BSD, etc. Even though I use Ubuntu, I’m still worried about how my own machines will be affected.

PS: AMD CPUs are unaffected. In fact, when a patch was submitted to the Linux Foundation, which was meant to run on all x86-based CPUs, AMD submitted a patch of their own to make the bug fix run ONLY on Intel CPUS, leaving AMD CPUs unaffected:

if (c->x86_vendor != X86_VENDOR_AMD)
setup_force_cpu_bug(X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE);

Talk about a burn! Too bad I don’t have any AMD CPUs.

Sure? Spectre, at least one of the two bugs, are affect AMD.

Meltdown: AMD says no, Intel say AMD-CPUs also affected

The MS-patches killed the Boot-OS on some AMD-machines

TS, I understand the software patch is a result of hardware and not software. I find it interesting that MS Can work the patch so that W10 doesn’t take a performance hit and older operating systems do. Seems they might be trying to force users to upgrade to W10 to avoid a performance reduction.

Many ppl think MS use this to make W10 more popular, I agree with them

Maybe, Microsoft tries to disguise their intentions behind that patch.
Well, Apple killed iPhone 4s using iOS9.

Lots of more stuff uses the kernel in the older versions, like fonts.

Somehow, I failed to notice the article mentioning Spectre. I guess I need to pay more attention to these things.

I guess Microsoft is being all… Microsoft once again.

Isn’t planned obsolescence fun?

Planned obsolescence is pretty scary.

Planned obsolescence should be made illegal or the company fined heavily when it is done. It is what fills up landfills and creates a tremendous amount of waste. Or at the very least an estimate of the life span of the product is given to the buyer so they can be informed before making a purchase.

Not just that.
But we also put trust on storage. We rely on them.

One should backup files therefore.

But if we set up a previous RAID 6, we would not want it to be eaten by planned obsolescence.
RAID 6 has data redundancy, but we paid a price for our RAID6.

Excuse me, I did not get it.

There’s not much to get. My statement was pure sarcasm. Planned obsolescence is anything but fun.

TS, that is how I took your post. I did not think you were being literal.