Microsoft will sell Windows 10 retail packages on USB drives

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft will sell Windows 10 retail packages on USB drives[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/06/myce-windows-10-usb-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Windows 10 will be Microsoft’s first operating system that will be sold on USB sticks. Both the Home and Pro versions will have retail packages on which the OS is delivered on a flash drive instead of a DVD.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-will-sell-windows-10-retail-packages-on-usb-drives-76495/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-will-sell-windows-10-retail-packages-on-usb-drives-76495/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

They better not use only flash drives. Not all motherboard BIOS’s for systems capable of running W10 support booting from USB

[QUOTE=Ch3vr0n;2755944]They better not use only flash drives. Not all motherboard BIOS’s for systems capable of running W10 support booting from USB[/QUOTE]

That’s another “BONE HEAD” move again by MS not listening again. They would expect everyone of us to dump our current hardware and move to their hardware. What a bunch of flakes in MS…more head up their B(&((& move again.

And this won’t help sales either more like it will kill sales. As Ch3vr0n says not everyone and their hardware will boot on USB that is only possible with newer motherboard and laptop that will boot from USB. Older hardware is trickier to boot from USB and no gurantee it will work correctly.

I don’t think so. Almost every piece of hardware made in the last 10 years would boot from USB, recent hardware, desktop PCs, laptops,netbooks, they don’t have a DVD reader. So optical media is slowing dying, unless we see discs with 500GB of space, or more, they will dissapear.
I’m not a Microsoft fan, but I think that’s a smart move, and if you cant boot from USB, try Plop Boot Manager, or download the iso from Microsoft…

[QUOTE=darkalien74;2756013]I don’t think so. Almost every piece of hardware made in the last 10 years would boot from USB, recent hardware, desktop PCs, laptops,netbooks, they don’t have a DVD reader.[/QUOTE]

Not everyone has that option…

[QUOTE=darkalien74;2756013]So optical media is slowing dying, unless we see discs with 500GB of space, or more, they will dissapear.[/QUOTE]

Maybe in your world but not in reality…or where I am using it now.

[QUOTE=darkalien74;2756013]I’m not a Microsoft fan, but I think that’s a smart move, and if you cant boot from USB, try Plop Boot Manager, or download the iso from Microsoft…[/QUOTE]

Nope more BONE head moves…is it that hard to give Users options instead of doing another Metro shove down our throat move again… They still haven’t learned have they.

It does partly explain why they’re actively pushing that w10 downloader. If they are only going to ship USB drives, I believe it will kill sales to by a big lot BUT that could be offset by all the people getting one for free through the downloader.

Yes I know, those aren’t sales but they’d still be using w10. Though if the flash drives will come alongside the optical media it can only benefit sales.

And darkalien: about the 500gb discs week they’re well on their way. The first BDXL BD100 discs from verbatim are staying to appear.

The thing is, Microsoft isn’t the first company to do this, and it has worked out well enough.

It’s genuinely true that, for the most part, booting from USB will be fine.

Need optical media? Download it and burn it, or call Microsoft and ask for a disc. The strategy has worked before and will continue to work here.

And we also don’t know how the flash drive will be structured. If necessary, I’m sure there will be a way to have the drive appear as something from which you can boot (floppy disc emulation was/is a thing), then the rest of the image is visible after some driver is loaded.

If you just plain can’t load from USB (even a USB floppy drive), then you’d probably also be fighting to load something from an optical drive and have every required driver available to keep the system running.

It’s true that many computers don’t boot from USB, but most will. This probably doesn’t matter too much, since most users prefer to buy new computers with the latest Windows, anyway.

That said, Microsoft probably isn’t going to stop selling optical disks any time soon. For now, they are just adding another option in the pot. GNU/Linux systems have been offering CD or USB booting for years, making the system more convenient to install.

If Microsoft has any intelligence, they will offer tools that allow users to convert USB boot media to DVD, or vise-versa. If not, someone will make similar tools eventually.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2756051]It’s true that many computers don’t boot from USB, but most will. This probably doesn’t matter too much, since most users prefer to buy new computers with the latest Windows, anyway.[/QUOTE]

Like Windows 8 debacle and lacklusters sales is that what your referring to???

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2756051]That said, Microsoft probably isn’t going to stop selling optical disks any time soon. For now, they are just adding another option in the pot. GNU/Linux systems have been offering CD or USB booting for years, making the system more convenient to install.[/QUOTE]

Linux is so far behind it’s not worth mentioning. Windows is the game to beat even Linux is making its own Window Linux version so to think Windows it following Linux lead it very rosy department.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2756051]If Microsoft has any intelligence, they will offer tools that allow users to convert USB boot media to DVD, or vise-versa. If not, someone will make similar tools eventually.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I think that department left M$$ long time ago…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2756065]Like Windows 8 debacle and lacklusters sales is that what your referring to???
[/quote] People who wanted the new OS probably bought a new computer still. So what TSJ said is valid: people who want to upgrade might not even care about installing the upgrade themselves.

Linux is so far behind it’s not worth mentioning. Windows is the game to beat even Linux is making its own Window Linux version so to think Windows it following Linux lead it very rosy department.
This does not invalidate what Microsoft is doing at all. There are great ideas to be had no matter what OS you are using, so the different ways Linux is distributed is very much worth mentioning.

And you might as well include how Apple has had systems that can boot from USB since 2006 (and a bit earlier, but I am referring to the Intel era). Only briefly did Apple do USB flash drive distribution of the OS. They quickly left that idea behind, making their primary delivery system digital download some years ago.

At this point, it’s actually pretty smart of MS to do this.

As for the comment about having a way to make optical media: …we don’t know details yet, but Microsoft has been pretty good about making it EASY (easy enough) to install their OS when your hardware supports it. They’ve had ISO files ready to create your own media, which won’t change.

But you could even see this coming in 8.1, given how they strongly prefer using a USB flash drive to back up your recovery partition if one exists. It’s easy. It’s something people know how to do: plug it in and move on. USB drives are more ubiquitous than DVDs at this point for the average user.

@Coolcolers:

Not everyone has that option…

So then you have a very old system, maybe it’s time to upgrade?

Maybe in your world but not in reality…or where I am using it now.

I’m in Europe, and yes here people are leaving optical media behind…

Nope more BONE head moves…is it that hard to give Users options instead of doing another Metro shove down our throat move again… They still haven’t learned have they.

Thinking like that we would still installing software with floppys, but we changed to CD, then DVD, and now possibly the future will be USB drives.
And those were times that we had to change hardware every tree years…
I only agree in the Metro thing…

@Chevron

And darkalien: about the 500gb discs week they’re well on their way. The first BDXL BD100 discs from verbatim are staying to appear.

It’s true, but then we have the following questions, the price of the media, the price of the burners, and when they come to market, I think that I saw the news about that here a year or two ago?
Don’t forget that we have now sd-cards with 200gb and the promise to go to 1TB soon, so let’s see.

[QUOTE=darkalien74;2756084]@Coolcolers:

So then you have a very old system, maybe it’s time to upgrade?[/QUOTE]

W10 hasn’t proven to be anymore beneficial then Windows 7 so far. That’s the part that is missed.

[QUOTE=darkalien74;2756084]I’m in Europe, and yes here people are leaving optical media behind…[/QUOTE]

Good for ya, just don’t forget OD still exists…

[QUOTE=darkalien74;2756084]Thinking like that we would still installing software with floppys, but we changed to CD, then DVD, and now possibly the future will be USB drives.
And those were times that we had to change hardware every tree years…
I only agree in the Metro thing…[/QUOTE]

No, it won’t be USB it will be Cloud Installer…you forgot technology evolution there.

[QUOTE=darkalien74;2756084]@Chevron
It’s true, but then we have the following questions, the price of the media, the price of the burners, and when they come to market, I think that I saw the news about that here a year or two ago?
Don’t forget that we have now sd-cards with 200gb and the promise to go to 1TB soon, so let’s see.[/QUOTE]

And don’t forgot if those data gets lost as compared to a burned DVD/BD you can still access them but on USB they are gone/gone.

Microsoft owns Windows 10, they can choose to deliver it in what ever manner they wish.
I’d take a bootable USB flash install over a DVD install any day. USB flash makes for a much faster install.

For the people still living in the past, it will also be available as an ISO file, which can be downloaded and burned to a DVD.

As for Windows 10 not being proven to be more beneficial over Windows 7. Native hardware support alone in Windows 10, is light years ahead of Windows 7. Then again, for people still living in the past, this won’t really matter. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is there really many old PC’s around that can’t boot from USB?
My PC when I arrived here more than 10 years ago, had an Intel ICH7 chipset, even then it could boot from USB.

@Coolcolors

W10 hasn’t proven to be anymore beneficial then Windows 7 so far. That’s the part that is missed.

That’s something that we can discuss after the final version out, but that wasn’t the point of the discussion here…

Good for ya, just don’t forget OD still exists…

As I said “people are leaving” i didnt said that OD is dead, it’s dying…

No, it won’t be USB it will be Cloud Installer…you forgot technology evolution there.

Maybe in 10 or 20 years, cause there are many places with low speed of internet, broadband it’s not for all, so as I said, and maybe, the near future should pass by USB, and then cloud.

And don’t forgot if those data gets lost as compared to a burned DVD/BD you can still access them but on USB they are gone/gone.

That’s true. The only problem with OD now is the low space available. If you have an HD camera, and i’m not thinking in ultrahd now, movies, 16MP photos consume a lot of space, and considering the price by GB, HDDs now are unbeatable, despite of being less reliable for storing data, are cheaper. Now if we got larger BDs, and cheapers HDDs will suffer and ODs will rise, but again this wasnt the point here…

[QUOTE=darkalien74;2756101]@Coolcolors

That’s something that we can discuss after the final version out, but that wasn’t the point of the discussion here…[/QUOTE]

From all the tester and preview tester so far have said nothing gain otherwise…whether or not it relates it does matter to the adoption.

[QUOTE=darkalien74;2756101]As I said “people are leaving” i didnt said that OD is dead, it’s dying…[/QUOTE]

Until CD/DVD/BD media are gone OD are here to stay…that is evident enough.

[QUOTE=darkalien74;2756101]Maybe in 10 or 20 years, cause there are many places with low speed of internet, broadband it’s not for all, so as I said, and maybe, the near future should pass by USB, and then cloud.[/QUOTE]

A little late here are we…they got dropbox and like rapidshare…MS One drive and Google Office apps. And those don’t require a much broad band to work for now. They go email like yahoo and that is a Cloud software already. But whatever the case Cloud is already here it’s not like 10-20 years down the road it’s that those with limit bandwidth are at the biggest downside.

[QUOTE=darkalien74;2756101]That’s true. The only problem with OD now is the low space available. If you have an HD camera, and i’m not thinking in ultrahd now, movies, 16MP photos consume a lot of space, and considering the price by GB, HDDs now are unbeatable, despite of being less reliable for storing data, are cheaper. Now if we got larger BDs, and cheapers HDDs will suffer and ODs will rise, but again this wasnt the point here…[/QUOTE]

Actually HDD “less reliable for storing data” is a myth anything is less reliable for storing data to single out just HDD is a rosy world view. Not BD gets bigger past 10tb HDD or 6tb SSD OD will be second data backup source but far off the point OD can’t compare to HDD or SSD capacity at current time frame.

So back to Windows…

Keeping it on USB stick and not giving buyers option to purchase DVD/BD depending on the size won’t improve sales.

First, to quote myself (from later in this post): In any case, you will be able to get the OS on a DVD.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2756113]

Keeping it on USB stick and not giving buyers option to purchase DVD/BD depending on the size won’t improve sales.[/QUOTE]

Let’s see…

They’re already offering free upgrades from 7 and 8.1 to anyone who’s interested for the first year, which already prevents them from making a ton of money off of it.

Anyone who’s on Vista or XP is likely going to remain on Vista or XP due to personal preference or some legacy hardware/software that won’t work with anything newer.

The “retail” bit of this topic means this distribution method is primarily for people building new systems (which will be absolutely fine with a USB device, and will complement the flash drives containing drivers that some systems come with).

Beyond that first year of free upgrades (or for people who don’t have a valid installation, or people who can’t download the update due to connection issues), interested parties are going to be able to use the flash drive to start the installation from within Windows, and they’re still probably be able to boot from USB (which we’ve already discussed).

All that to say: I don’t think Microsoft cares about losing retail sales due to the OS not being on an optical disc. I think they’ve planned this out fairly thoroughly. Yeah, the legacy optical disc option will be nice to have, but the potential for a faster installation sounds nicer to me.

Worst comes to worst, you can’t get an optical disc version? You can’t get the flash drive to boot? You installing on an old system which previously had an OS? Just restore an old OS installation and start it from that. Installers can put all the files onto the HDD in a temporary place, then run the installation from that! It’s not going to prevent you from doing what you want.

All the benefits outweigh the risks. Many of the moves us consumers call “boneheaded” are merely overly complex, but not impossible to work with (or work around).

In any case, you will be able to get the OS on a DVD. [The wording in the article is off, and I’ll try to get that corrected.]

For the folks who aren’t actually interested in the OS but still balked at the fact that they were going to ship the OS on a flash drive…well, they aren’t Microsoft’s target market, so effectively it doesn’t matter.

[QUOTE=Albert;2756116]First, to quote myself (from later in this post): [B][I]In any case, you will be able to get the OS on a DVD.[/I][/B]

[B][I]In any case, you will be able to get the OS on a DVD.[/I][/B] [The wording in the article is off, and I’ll try to get that corrected.]

For the folks who aren’t actually interested in the OS but still balked at the fact that they were going to ship the OS on a flash drive…well, they aren’t Microsoft’s target market, so effectively it doesn’t matter.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear then if that is the case then I wouldn’t mind buying Windows 10x64 Pro or Ultimate to have and play around with.

@Coocolors

From all the tester and preview tester so far have said nothing gain otherwise…whether or not it relates it does matter to the adoption.

Just as I said I can only discuss something after trying the final version, only after that I can give my opinion.

Until CD/DVD/BD media are gone OD are here to stay…that is evident enough.

And point is… As I said, OD it’s dying, it’s not dead yet, its here to stay, but for how long? Just look for the news here for companies that just stoped to manufacture writers and media, it’s all here at Myce, so you’re not adding nothing new…

A little late here are we…they got dropbox and like rapidshare…MS One drive and Google Office apps. And those don’t require a much broad band to work for now. They go email like yahoo and that is a Cloud software already. But whatever the case Cloud is already here it’s not like 10-20 years down the road it’s that those with limit bandwidth are at the biggest downside.

We are talking about an OS install. In fact Cloud is here since the initial times of internet, it’s not more than storage in the web, but just let’s see one thing. People now are using cloud services for what? Documents, photos, small movies and some other things around that you don’t need too much bandwith. We’re talking about an OS installation, and an cloud install it’s unpraticable right now because first you still need some media to boot your PC to install initial files (again usb or DVD), and then access the cloud to download the installation. Now we are talking about 2gb to 4gb of files, last time I installed World of Tanks in a PC without Broadband it took 5 hours just to download the game, last time that I had to install windows 7 It took 3 hours to download 2Gb of updates, and believe-me it’s still there too many people without broadband, and I’m not even talking about servers shutdowns, so yes I still think about more 10 years to use Servers to Direct Install an OS.

Actually HDD “less reliable for storing data” is a myth anything is less reliable for storing data to single out just HDD is a rosy world view.

Just check how many companies are ther specialized on recover your data from HDDs, and check the money they are making right now just to recover documents from external HDDs. HDD have more chances to fail than a burned DVD (burned in a good media of course). I still have cds burned on a Philips cdd2000 that I can read without errors. So no it’s not a myth.

Not BD gets bigger past 10tb HDD or 6tb SSD OD will be second data backup source but far off the point OD can’t compare to HDD or SSD capacity at current time frame.

Thats why OD is struggling right now…

Keeping it on USB stick and not giving buyers option to purchase DVD/BD depending on the size won’t improve sales.

Like Albert said in the previous post, we still can dowload the ISO.
I think there are people that are haters just to be haters, even if the company it’s doing something right, like a usb pen to install.So for this one I think that Microsoft is having some kind of vision…

[QUOTE=darkalien74;2756127]@Coocolors

Just as I said I can only discuss something after trying the final version, only after that I can give my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Well if you just take a look back you will notice how spectacular Windows 8 fell like a flop after not listening to the Testers review when they tested Windows 8 and then disregarded the Testers feedback.

[QUOTE=darkalien74;2756127]And point is… As I said, OD it’s dying, it’s not dead yet, its here to stay, but for how long? Just look for the news here for companies that just stoped to manufacture writers and media, it’s all here at Myce, so you’re not adding nothing new…[/QUOTE]

Bad news, we can still buy DVD/BD media to burn to so OD is far from dying in my neck of the wood. So news of OD going away anytime soon is a rosy picture. But if you want your world news then so be it.

[QUOTE=darkalien74;2756127]We are talking about an OS install. In fact Cloud is here since the initial times of internet, it’s not more than storage in the web, but just let’s see one thing. People now are using cloud services for what? Documents, photos, small movies and some other things around that you don’t need too much bandwith. We’re talking about an OS installation, and an cloud install it’s unpraticable right now because first you still need some media to boot your PC to install initial files (again usb or DVD), and then access the cloud to download the installation. Now we are talking about 2gb to 4gb of files, last time I installed World of Tanks in a PC without Broadband it took 5 hours just to download the game, last time that I had to install windows 7 It took 3 hours to download 2Gb of updates, and believe-me it’s still there too many people without broadband, and I’m not even talking about servers shutdowns, so yes I still think about more 10 years to use Servers to Direct Install an OS.[/QUOTE]

Cloud before it was called was Servers Farms that stored and accessed peoples data. And considering the hacks of Servers and Users data being stolen they have a less the stellar track record to protect User data. That will be stored on my local DVD/BD media and HDD/SSD. Until Server Farms(Cloud) can protect user data it won’t have my sensitive data so that it can be stolen.

[QUOTE=darkalien74;2756127]Just check how many companies are ther specialized on recover your data from HDDs, and check the money they are making right now just to recover documents from external HDDs. HDD have more chances to fail than a burned DVD (burned in a good media of course). I still have cds burned on a Philips cdd2000 that I can read without errors. So no it’s not a myth.

Thats why OD is struggling right now…[/QUOTE]

uhuh…right…

[QUOTE=darkalien74;2756127]Like Albert said in the previous post, we still can dowload the ISO.[/QUOTE]

Well until MS says it official and post the info I will believe it when I see it.

[QUOTE=darkalien74;2756127]I think there are people that are haters just to be haters, even if the company it’s doing something right, like a usb pen to install.So for this one I think that Microsoft is having some kind of vision…[/QUOTE]

Really Vision…then you missed Windows 8 vision…likes sales rocket down so fast you couldn’t catch it fast enough. Notice how no one talks about Windows 8 or see ads about how good Windows 8 is??? There are stark differences between Haters and dissenters. Might want to check that carefully.

@coolcolors

Bad news, we can still buy DVD/BD media to burn to so OD is far from dying in my neck of the wood. So news of OD going away anytime soon is a rosy picture. But if you want your world news then so be it.

Good for you, but for me i’m seeing OD fading away unless it finds a way to get bigger in terms of GB.

Cloud before it was called was Servers Farms that stored and accessed peoples data. And considering the hacks of Servers and Users data being stolen they have a less the stellar track record to protect User data. That will be stored on my local DVD/BD media and HDD/SSD. Until Server Farms(Cloud) can protect user data it won’t have my sensitive data so that it can be stolen.

You’re wright over there, but we were talking about an OS direct install from the cloud, personally myself don’t use cloud services.

Well until MS says it official and post the info I will believe it when I see it.

I saw something there about there, and Albert confirmed that too somewhere in this discussion. But despite that it’s just common sense cause with a digital download you can get 100 % of the value, with a media you could get 60% at least of the sale.

Well if you just take a look back you will notice how spectacular Windows 8 fell like a flop after not listening to the Testers review when they tested Windows 8 and then disregarded the Testers feedback.

Really Vision…then you missed Windows 8 vision…likes sales rocket down so fast you couldn’t catch it fast enough. Notice how no one talks about Windows 8 or see ads about how good Windows 8 is??? There are stark differences between Haters and dissenters. Might want to check that carefully.

You’re stucked with Windows 8 hate, maybe you got somekind of trauma with that. I hate Windows 8 too but just check Microsoft story:
Windows 95: Good
Windows 98: Good
Windows ME: Bad
Windows XP: Good
Windows Vista: Bad
Windows 7 : Good
Windows 8: Bad
And I’m not talking about The NT versions on Windows (for enterprises), Windows XP and afterwards were based on that system.
So taking on that and for what I saw I think that W10 will be a system that will divide users, so wait and see the final product.
But the discussion here is about a usb stick OS, and I think that’s a good move.