Microsoft will no longer release security patches for Windows 8 after tomorrow

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft will no longer release security patches for Windows 8 after tomorrow[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/05/myce-windows8-desktop-670x410.jpg[/newsimage]

Microsoft will no longer offer support for Windows 8 from tomorrow, Tuesday, the 12th of January. The end of support means millions of users will no longer receive security updates, unless they update to Windows 8.1.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-will-no-longer-release-security-patches-for-windows-8-after-tomorrow-78343/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-will-no-longer-release-security-patches-for-windows-8-after-tomorrow-78343/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I do not know this as I have never checked and I am not going to check it now either, but are there anyone left not running 8.1?

If so, you are way behind… That update should have been applied 2 months after it was released at the very latest.

Then I will advice all of you to check your hardware, if it can run Windows 10. If you have Windows 8.1, the hardware compatibility is the only reason not to upgrade.

It is important to check hardware compatibility, so head over to your hardware manufacturer’s website and search the support section for your PC/Laptop for information as to compatibility (Do not take this lightly).

If it is, do the update by downloading the ISO to avoid any errors in connectivity getting in way of a successful update.

After update, if you are concerned about your privacy, come back here and read about that in this thread.

Using Windows 8.1, your computer is not as stable as when running Windows 10, but read my words: [B]CHECK HARDWARE COMPATIBILITY[/B].

Finally…now when will Windows 10 security patch end begin???

For some reason my PC (when I had Windows 8) never received Windows 8.1 automatically. I had to go in the Windows App Store (which I never use) to see it.

I don’t know when it didn’t show in Windows Update directly.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2766443]Finally…now when will Windows 10 security patch end begin???[/QUOTE]

Not sure if I get your message, care to clarify for a non-native?
What I read is not correct I am sure as Windows 10 Security patching never will end until the OS is not supported anymore, just like for Win7&8.
In other words, the only thing I know is that I met a shortcoming to my understanding or ability to read between the lines as the sentence is too short … :flower:

Edit: did you mean 3rd-party privacy patching?

[QUOTE=Xercus;2766446]Not sure if I get your message, care to clarify for a non-native?
What I read is not correct I am sure as Windows 10 Security patching never will end until the OS is not supported anymore, just like for Win7&8.
In other words, the only thing I know is that I met a shortcoming to my understanding or ability to read between the lines as the sentence is too short … :flower:

Edit: did you mean 3rd-party privacy patching?[/QUOTE]
lol…no I meant with the disastrous Win10 launch and implementation - I can’t wait for Win10 support to end. Hopefully they will learn something that making another Windows 8.2 and calling it 10 isn’t what the Enduser wants.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2766487]lol…no I meant with the disastrous Win10 launch and implementation - I can’t wait for Win10 support to end. Hopefully they will learn something that making another Windows 8.2 and calling it 10 isn’t what the Enduser wants.[/QUOTE]

Now that was something quite different, :bigsmile:
Not everything with windows 10 is progress either even if we look away from the Microsoft spyware…

Here is a funny one for you:
Start Menu.
Windows 7: No limit as to entries (to my knowledge but it could be 65535)
Windows 10.0.10240: 512 entries max
Windows 10.0.10586: 2048 entries max
I wonder what lame programmer was assigned to the task programming that POS - Start menu with limitations?

Doing a ‘startapps | measure’ in powershell reveals I have 1220 entries at the moment and if I enter shortcuts for all small bits of utilities I get to 2162. I removed two folder hierarchies to not make it break as Microsoft seem to think that ‘2048 entries ought to be enough for anybody’ (hmm where did I hear that before :bigsmile:)

2162 may seem like much, but no slowdown (I have less entries than most with only Windows and Office installed affecting startup). I try to avoid installers if possible and arrange my shortcuts myself. Why everything needs to be installed beats my logic…
Take a setup program that initially set up a network standalone storage medium as an example.
Here you will transfer new firmware to any brand new harddrive installed. Once it is set up, you will use your web browser for any and all other setup. How often will you use it? Once every n/a years?
Still you have to install it and it runs on startup by default?, Simply beats my logic!

[QUOTE=Xercus;2766435]I do not know this as I have never checked and I am not going to check it now either, but are there anyone left not running 8.1?
[/QUOTE]

The reason why there are still plenty of Windows 8.0 users around is due to yet another boneheaded move by Microsoft. Making the 8 > 8.1 upgrade available only through the store meant those who didn’t use an MS account and didn’t use the store (in Win 8 hardly anyone used the store on purpose), then you wouldn’t get the upgrade.

The Win 8.0 user base has dropped only by about 1% in the last year, most of those left will likely be average users who still don’t know about the upgrade to 8.1.

What is this Windows 8 you speak of. We have 14 windows in our house and they don’t need upgrades except perhaps to double glazing.

Windows 10. Wonder if will be in Beta as long as Gmail was…

[QUOTE=roho;2766492]The reason why there are still plenty of Windows 8.0 users around is due to yet another boneheaded move by Microsoft. Making the 8 > 8.1 upgrade available only through the store meant those who didn’t use an MS account and didn’t use the store (in Win 8 hardly anyone used the store on purpose), then you wouldn’t get the upgrade.

The Win 8.0 user base has dropped only by about 1% in the last year, most of those left will likely be average users who still don’t know about the upgrade to 8.1.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the information. I adviced against upgrading until 8.1 came out (was reluctant then as well due to the whole ‘swipe & touch’ bullshit that made the mouse cumbersome to use) and so I was unaware of this whole scenario.

You are right though, moving away from standard upgrade by hiding it away in the ‘non-working’ Windows 8 store was nothing short of a boneheaded move, then again, that is Microsoft in a nutshell from time to time, these days seemingly more often than not.