Microsoft will continue to offer Windows 10 updates as problematic ‘Upgrade Installation’

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft will continue to offer Windows 10 updates as problematic ‘Upgrade Installation’[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2015/07/myce-windows-10-here-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Microsoft will continue to offer feature updates, like the Anniversary Update, for Windows 10 as an ‘upgrade installation’, where a new installation of the OS is carried out and existing data is transferred. This way of updating has often led to issues.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-will-continue-offer-windows-10-updates-problematic-upgrade-installation-80590/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-will-continue-offer-windows-10-updates-problematic-upgrade-installation-80590/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Stupidity on top of arrogance. That’s the Microsoft Way.

What a fustercluck.

…and I can imagine all our settings will be reset to Microsoft preferred settings each and every time as they obviously lack the programming expertise to even save and reinstate user settings.

Development by the kitchen sink anyone?

Coincidentally, the latest Which? magazine has this on the front cover…

Indeed their article inside is about Windows 10 update woes and complaints.

[QUOTE=Seán;2781729]Coincidentally, the latest Which? magazine has this on the front cover…

Indeed their article inside is about Windows 10 update woes and complaints.[/QUOTE]

I have to admit that it has me ever so little pissed off at the moment to be frank. Family and friends have been calling me more with Windows 10 this and that than the entire Windows 7+8 lifespans already and they want to LESSEN user control?

I want to help those dear and near to me as well as others as time permits, but in times when work take most of my time, it becomes a burden. I know they claim to do this in an effort to among other things keep people safe (being the most ‘noble’), but I am about to stop automatic updates for everyone I help to get it controllable. I simply can not accept Microsoft spending my spare time at their convenience. Now, where’s the security in that?

I can only guess, but it would be surprising if I’m the only ‘expert’ choosing to do it this way… Microsoft does not take any responsibility for their flaws and they are currently ‘working’ on a script to clean up their latest mess - In these days of instant gratification I may add.
Can you believe that MS has even lured a few of them into beta testers with their ‘glorious’ Windows Insider program? Like they understood shit about what they were about to become part of…

Enough rant, but I am really getting tired of this :rolleyes:

Windows has been a behemoth for 20 plus years, being the support most, please few OS, messes like this are inevitable. I was at a customer today who thought the update had screwed up their keyboard (it was the keyboard) so uninstalled it, which totally screwed the system.

I use and support Windows 10 computers at work, but at home I use Windows 7 Ultimate !!

[QUOTE=Xercus;2781732]I have to admit that it has me ever so little pissed off at the moment to be frank. Family and friends have been calling me more with Windows 10 this and that than the entire Windows 7+8 lifespans already and they want to LESSEN user control?

I want to help those dear and near to me as well as others as time permits, but in times when work take most of my time, it becomes a burden. I know they claim to do this in an effort to among other things keep people safe (being the most ‘noble’), but I am about to stop automatic updates for everyone I help to get it controllable. I simply can not accept Microsoft spending my spare time at their convenience. Now, where’s the security in that?

I can only guess, but it would be surprising if I’m the only ‘expert’ choosing to do it this way… Microsoft does not take any responsibility for their flaws and they are currently ‘working’ on a script to clean up their latest mess - In these days of instant gratification I may add.
Can you believe that MS has even lured a few of them into beta testers with their ‘glorious’ Windows Insider program? Like they understood shit about what they were about to become part of…

Enough rant, but I am really getting tired of this :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
Your not kidding my family members ever since going from Vista to Windows 7 couldn’t be more happy. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=rexroach;2781734]Windows has been a behemoth for 20 plus years, being the support most, please few OS, messes like this are inevitable. I was at a customer today who thought the update had screwed up their keyboard (it was the keyboard) so uninstalled it, which totally screwed the system.[/QUOTE]But this mess is not like any other mess this is a total cluster (&(&(*& of a mess of which is Microsofts own doing for not listening to the Testers.

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2781819]I use and support Windows 10 computers at work, but at home I use Windows 7 Ultimate !![/QUOTE]I know some places were forced to Windows 10 and have disdain for it. But my work place currently is Windows 7 all though they said they want to go Windows 10 but I think they are having second thoughts since I haven’t heard anything about Windows 10 lately probably because of all this cluster (&(&(& that’s been going around Windows 10 itself.

When I was using Windows 98 back in the day, I noticed a bug in the taskbar: it would randomly refuse to auto-hide, even though I had auto-hide enabled. When I eventually upgraded to Windows XP, I noticed a taskbar bug that prevented it from auto-hiding. In Windows, Vista, guess what I noticed. And Seven. And the release candidate for Windows 8 (I’ve never used the actual release of 8). Assuming it hasn’t been fixed in 10 (if it hasn’t, that’s the least of 10’s issues) it’s taking Microsoft almost two decades to fix this simple bug. In the meantime, it almost seems like Microsoft is hell-bent on making as many new bugs as it can.

Perhaps it’s because there’s just too much code to be maintained. I’ve been saying this for far too long: Microsoft needs to slim down Windows. It should NEVER have reached the point where the OS itself takes 16GB+ of storage for the original installation (plus updates, drivers, more updates, etc.). This might sound crazy, but I think a lot of users would prefer that space be used by (gasp!) actual programs, or perhaps things like documents, movies, music, etc.

If I were Microsoft in the 1990s, my main direction would have been to modularize the heck out of the system, so that future updates/improvements can be implemented by only adding/removing/modifying specific modules. Instead, Microsoft seems to have insisted on piling new code on old code, just to bury that under newer code, which gets buried under newer code, etc. So each new feature consists of a million old features carelessly thrown on top of eachother, the eventual result being the collapse of the entire tower. And when that happened, Microsoft proudly called it “Windows 10”, presumably because no one taught Bill Gates how to count.

[QUOTE=Seán;2781729]Coincidentally, the latest Which? magazine has this on the front cover…

Indeed their article inside is about Windows 10 update woes and complaints.[/QUOTE]Pretty much sums up my experiences with commercial software. Newer versions are all-too-frequently encumbered with DRM, spyware, bugs, lag, and massive code bloat. Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash Player are both good examples of this.