Microsoft: We’re never upgrading PCs to Windows 10 without permission

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft: We’re never upgrading PCs to Windows 10 without permission[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2015/11/windows-10.-phone-laptop-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Microsoft denies that Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 computers are updated to Windows 10 without users consent. According to the company the reports are inaccurate and the company argues that users who are unexpectedly upgraded to Windows 10 might have pre-selected to upgrade to the new OS.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-never-upgrading-pcs-windows-10-without-permission-78876/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-never-upgrading-pcs-windows-10-without-permission-78876/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Ignorance of a problem isn’t really the best defense, but its not unexpected from MS. They are pretty quick to say “we never do that”, so you have to wonder if one hand doesn’t know that the other is doing.

It’s possible the way the upgrade is presented was unclear to a large group of users.

and when a large group of users fails in understanding the message, surely it has nothing to do with Microsoft trying to sneak in Windows 10 at any cost.

Considering Microsoft’s earlier behavior when it comes to Windows 10 upgrades, they have lost any and all credibility.

If Microsoft is right, it’s unclear how it’s possible that so many users feel their computers are upgraded to Windows 10 without their consent. It’s possible the way the upgrade is presented was unclear to a large group of users.
It’s the famous RootKits…stealthware installs…how else would those saying no get Windows 10.

“updated the upgrade experience for some of our customers, who had previously reserved their upgrade, to schedule a time for their upgrade to take place”.
Really they schedule how about MS schedule the update that sounds more like it.

Glad with my GWX/DisableWindows10 regedit are working…no more seeing of that craps…game going one…

If Microsoft is right, and those users did install Windows 10 on accident, then clearly Microsoft needs to make sure the users know they’ve opted to get Windows 10. Microsoft hasn’t been doing that good of a job in making sure users know what they are installing.

Of course, that’s just if Microsoft is telling the truth. Given their reputation, the idea that they would force users to upgrade isn’t exactly a stretch. They’ve only been getting more and more aggressive in “promoting” Windows 10, and aren’t really concerned about how much damage they do in the process. So naturally, when accused of foul play, they turn and point the finger at their customers, a public relations strategy that’s almost guaranteed to backfire.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2770352]So naturally, when accused of foul play, they turn and point the finger at their customers, a public relations strategy that’s almost guaranteed to backfire.[/QUOTE]I think it already has if we are reading it now shit is starting to hit the fan cause MS isn’t going to fix those damaged O/S and lost files…

Question for MS: Define permission in this case? Turing on Windows automatic updates by any chance?

Another good reason to run only a limited user account - easier to prove whether or not permission was granted (the admin password [I]should[/I] be required).

I thought I’ll just update this thread - My mother decided she will wait until June before upgrading her laptop to Windows 10. It was originally supplied with Windows 7 Professional.

Earlier today after using the laptop, it was accidentally left running. What happens if you leave a laptop running idle without the power cord connected? It normally goes to sleep after 15 or so minutes, … but not this time! After having lunch, up on the screen was “Welcome to Windows 10”. In the hour we were away, it had carried out the upgrade and no one else was near the laptop.

What’s interesting is that any time I upgraded a computer to Windows 10, I had to accept the licence agreement as well as several other steps. So it’s interesting here that when it did it on its own, it skipped all the steps.

Obviously my mother was very surprised seeing this happen. She said any time it popped up a nag screen for Windows 10, she just clicked the ‘X’ to close it off.

But Microsoft said they don’t do that :disagree: :bigsmile:

Now the Windows 10 upgrade pop-up has been changed and if you dismiss it using the ‘X’ in the top right corner it sends the message to Microsoft that you WANT to install Windows 10 and the upgrade will begin.

:rolleyes:

@Seán… I am sure this is related to the latest move by Microsoft where you have to choose details and decline the offer. I have heard several stories the last week where people have been force fed Windows 10 and it is just the way you explain it as what I hear is that it installed itself.
Non-technical as they are, it tells me that they did not do anything themselves and so this is solely Microsoft trying to boost Windows 10 numbers as far as I can tell.

Microsoft is definitively caught lying here as too many trustworthy people have come forth with a story similar to yours… They are obviously desperate enough to force people to update even if they don’t want to.

[QUOTE=lario48;2774933]Now the Windows 10 upgrade pop-up has been changed and if you dismiss it using the ‘X’ in the top right corner it sends the message to Microsoft that you WANT to install Windows 10 and the upgrade will begin.[/QUOTE]

That indeed explains how it happened. My mother said she just clicked the ‘X’ to any screen about Windows 10, so likely got stung by this screen.

One thing’s for sure - The upgrade was surprisingly quick when it did it on its own.

Any time I tried upgrading a computer to Windows 10 using the ‘Get Windows 10’ screen, it took at least an hour going through the preparation screens, especially “Checking for updates” which I’ve seen take over an hour, not to mention another hour for the actual upgrade process. So I was very surprised seeing the complete upgrade done within the hour we were away. I don’t think I’ve even seen the Media Creation tool perform the upgrade that quick on any computer.

Perhaps Microsoft has implemented Diebold technology into their Windows 10 Nag Screen? :smiley: