Microsoft warns all Internet Explorer versions vulnerable to zero day exploit

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft warns all Internet Explorer versions vulnerable to zero day exploit[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/04/myce-internet-explorer-11-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-warns-all-internet-explorer-versions-vulnerable-to-zero-day-exploit-71349

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

In the meanwhile the company has posted instructions on how to protect your computer against the exploit which includes increasing the security zone settings or disabling active scripting.
… or not using IE in the first place :slight_smile:

So it’s not a problem on Win XP then :wink:

[QUOTE=paulw2;2726271]So it’s not a problem on Win XP then ;-)[/QUOTE]
Yep. Let’s all “upgrade” to Windows XP :smiley:

I think I might just avoid using IE until this is sorted. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

I run every browser in SandBoxie…bring on all those exploits!!!:p:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2726265]… or not using IE in the first place :)[/QUOTE]

Now the bad news some sites are programmed to run on IE and without the IE browser you loose features. So your D(&(& if you use and D((&(&( if you don’t use it. Rather the user should use it but limit the use to secure sites or sites they already test clean. Otherwise not using IE doesn’t help one much at all. And most likely the other browser has those same faults as well just is how fast one can patch those holes. And using sandbox to browse is akin to giving your bank account someone else anyway you cut it. You still have to type your password and login to get into your account and if they get it they will get it sandbox or not. It should be use IE for non secure site where you don’t have to input your information and that should give you more protection and make sure to keep your Windows Update to auto update and that should provide another level of secure usage til a release patch for the IE problem is fixed.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2726296] And using sandbox to browse is akin to giving your bank account someone else anyway you cut it. You still have to type your password and login to get into your account and if they get it they will get it sandbox or not.[/QUOTE]

That’s right…in most cases…:iagree:
But for sites with credentials,I launch Sticky Password,it opens my browser automaticly in a sandbox session and it fills in the (scrambled) data automaticly.Keyloggers or other malware have no use of the data,even IF they were able to intercept it…
After closing the sandbox,everything in it is automaticly deleted.
Of course,this isn’t 100% safe,but what is…???:wink:

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2726296] and make sure to keep your Windows Update to auto update and that should provide another level of secure usage til a release patch for the IE problem is fixed.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that!!!:iagree:

Funny, this can affect IE 6, but can’t effect anything older than Vista. I find this odd, since IE 6 isn’t even Vista-compatible (Vista comes with Internet Explorer 7, which can’t be downgraded). The newest version of Windows that can run 6 is Windows Server 2003, which listed as being affected, but doesn’t really count as “Vista and up”, since it predates Vista.

Anyway, IE sucks regaurdless of security. IE 6 can’t render many moder webpages, 7 and 8 suck up a lot more RAM and CPU than they need to (even when doing simple things, like opening blank new tabs), and all versions from 9 on are just likely in the same boat as 7/8 (I can’t say for sure, since I stopped caring and switched to Firefox).

TSJnachos117 posted a link that led me to this link:

I already have Auto Update disabled on XP & Windows Update set to Never in Vista & I think it is the same on W7 on the laptop . I need to check the laptop. Now I will be disabling it in services as well . Then when I’m ready to install “Patches” I will temporarily turn Update back on.

It looks like MS have released a patch. I just got it for IE11 on Win8.1 via Windows update.

Same here for Windows 7 IE11

[QUOTE=Dee;2726510]It looks like MS have released a patch. I just got it for IE11 on Win8.1 via Windows update.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up Dee. :flower:

Am just installing it now.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Patch released for IE8 on XP too.

I had several to update :
W7 Home Premium 64 bit with IE9
2 XP Pro SP3 with IE8
1XP Home SP3 with IE8
1 Vista Home Premium with IE9
I didn’t like IE 10 & I haven’t tried it again.

No update for my Windows 98SE with IE6

I’m still not planning to use IE much in the future unless absolutely necessary.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2726524]Patch released for IE8 on XP too.[/QUOTE]

Not going to happens if you didn’t catch the net news XP no longer supported.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2726531]Not going to happens if you didn’t catch the net news XP no longer supported.[/QUOTE]

A patch was released for XP.

Even though XP support was supposed to have ended for the general public, it seems Microsoft will still release patches that fix important or very critical issues.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2726531]Not going to happens if you didn’t catch the net news XP no longer supported.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you didn’t read my post. I installed the newly released IE patch on 3 XP os’s on 3 different computers today. Windows Updated downloaded & installed the patch like it always has.
This may be the last time it does this for XP but MS did release this one after April 8 ,2014. after the "End of life: for XP.