Microsoft wants Corona to be part of future DVDs

vbimport

I just posted the article Microsoft wants Corona to be part of future DVDs.

Microsoft latest entertainment technology named Corona has not been embraced by the DVD forum, but nevertheless Microsoft thinks the technology could play a big part in the future of the…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/4062-Microsoft-wants-Corona-to-be-part-of-future-DVDs.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/4062-Microsoft-wants-Corona-to-be-part-of-future-DVDs.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Doesn’t matter how you shake it, compression = quality loss. Give me the old dvd anyday. I don’t need Microsoft’s lossy compression and copy protection.

Hey, If M$ doesn’t impose copyright restrictions, or protection crap, I would be fine with Corona. I don’t want to have to buy a new DVD Rom with blue-laser tech just to play better movies. And compression equaling quality loss? That argument has been used before, and proven wrong. It has been shown (read: DivX) that you can compress amazingly with minimal quality loss that isn’t even noticable many times. The only thing I’m worried about, besides protection (which will probably be cracked), is that Microsoft’s current compression format (WMF) is a bit shakey. The blocky compression and metallic-clunky audio is not too promising. Let’s hope Corona will be beter. M$ doesn’t learn, but it doesn’t do everything wrong… (how many of you reading this are using some version of Windows? I know I am.) Bring it on, M$! :9

fb- Explain how .RAR, .ZIP, and .ACE compression is lossy, I was under the impression that those compression schemes were lossless. Also, Microsoft’s current file formats, .WMV, .ASF, .WMA are all very low quality. First of all, in order to convert from them you have to buy a license from them to convert, otherwise you infringe on their patents (According to VirtualDub). Second, in my time on the internet downloading trailers and other videos, the .ASFs and .WMV’s corrupt far easier than the older MPEG1/2 and AVI files. I am aware that AVI is not a compression standard, however its packaging is much better than that of the ASF. Another thing: MPEG2 works just fine so far, why switch to a Microsoft proprietary compression scheme? The move to Blue laser is something that is going to happen soon, so why bother with this intermediary? To my knowledge, none of the current DVD players are going to play the High definition content that these M$ disks plan on releasing anyway, so your going to have to buy a new player in order to get the HDTV content.

Bullocks. You can’t compare an Mpeg-4 based codec to an Mpeg-2 based one. They’re designed to do different things. Mpeg-4 is designed to do good at low bitrates, and Mpeg-2 to be good at high bitrates. I wouldn’t use Mpeg-2 for a 2-hour, 1 cd rip, nor would I use Mpeg-4 for a 2-hour, 1 DVD rip.

I wonder… if Corona had been developed by, say Philips, how many of you would be posting the same negative reactions?

I have to agree with nEXusJ on this one.

Sounds like an interesting new format from Microsoft, probably the only issue will be can it be backed up in the same way as DVD can? On the subject of DiVX, has anyone noticed how 99% of all 700MB ish DVD Rips are infact VERY flawed? The flaw involves a purpling affect that gradually spreads over the screen when the picture is still, and indeed sometimes when action is happening. It’s an interesting fault which I can only put down to the compression. It is usually only noticeable if you play the AVI file back with a file viewer like “IrfanView”, or if you perform a conversion of the AVI to MPEG12 with say “TMPGEnc”. The fault doesn’t show itself in Windows Media player though, which I can’t explain, but there are clearly issues with DiVX. To this end it would be nice if peeps backed their DVDs up to VCDSVCD to share on the likes of KaZaA rather than KaZaA…

[QUOTE]On the subject of DiVX, has anyone noticed how 99% of all 700MB ish DVD Rips are infact VERY flawed? The flaw involves a purpling affect that gradually spreads over the screen when the picture is still, and indeed sometimes when action is happening.[QUOTE] This was a common complaint with 5.0 and 5.01. The problem seems to have vanished with DivX 5.02. If you experience this problem with DivX 5.02 rips, tell the DivX crew.