Microsoft: Users more happy with Windows 10 than with prior versions of Windows

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft: Users more happy with Windows 10 than with prior versions of Windows[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/11/windows-10.-phone-laptop-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Microsoft today announced that more than 200 devices run on Windows 10. Users mainly switch because users want the ‘most secure and fastest’ Windows, according to the software giant. Users are also more happy with the OS than previous versions of Windows.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-users-more-happy-with-windows-10-than-with-prior-versions-of-windows-78279/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-users-more-happy-with-windows-10-than-with-prior-versions-of-windows-78279/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Actually got a good laugh… 200 devices — 200 million that is! fun though, fun.

I can not help but thinking that the corporate world would hesitate in starting to use it until Microsoft changes their information harvesting policy (telemetry) which in its current state has to be classified as a spyware.
Sure, using WSUS, Policies and such, we are able to marginalize the amount of data leaving the organization. I am however in this case more thinking of the very presence of the component as a potential security-threat in it self.

I do acknowledge that they probably are in need to spread some good news and that there is an obvious reason for the increase since new PCs ship with the OS. It will however mean that the user base complaining about Microsoft’s telemetry spyware will grow and so this is actually good news… :wink:

The opinion that users are more satisfied with Windows 10 than previous operating systems sounds more than a tad biased, but then again, we know who this comes from :wink:

Like any other big company, Microsoft are good at statistics that make them look great, although most sane people can see right through them. The constant comparison to Windows 7/8 install base when you had to pay to buy full or upgrade licenses for those operating systems is a classic example, and one that only the fanboys tend to think is a great stat.

I too would also like to know where they got the higher satisfaction rating from, most users I talk to who upgraded really don’t care for 10 that much, but are prepared to keep it as it’s the latest Windows and they were offered it for free.

Here is one Windows 10 user who is happier with Windows 10 than any of their previous OS.

It was only the other day that I secure erased my Win7 SSD, that I had kept since Windows 8 came out, just in case I needed Win7 for something.

I booted into Win7 before erasing the SSD, the first time in over a year, and then decided I would rather have the drive clean for use as storage.

My backup computer has Window 7 and I don’t see changing that anytime soon. It is necessary to run old games that I keep around for my nephew to play. Windows 10 says they are incompatible.

But for my main computer, I’m using Windows 10 and have no real complaints after changing the privacy settings. But I didn’t have issues in Windows 8.1 either, not while using a third party start menu program. I guess the point is that you can adjust Windows to suit your own needs, and Windows 10 is no exception to that for me, but I can’t say that I’m happier with Windows 10. Its more or less the same experience that I’ve been used to for several years now.

[QUOTE=Dee;2766055]Here is one Windows 10 user who is happier with Windows 10 than any of their previous OS.

It was only the other day that I secure erased my Win7 SSD, that I had kept since Windows 8 came out, just in case I needed Win7 for something.

I booted into Win7 before erasing the SSD, the first time in over a year, and then decided I would rather have the drive clean for use as storage.[/QUOTE]

I can only say that my experience is in line with roho in this respect, but personally, I have only the telemetry complaint. Apart from that, the OS is fine.
Once tweaked a bit I could add back functionality not available to the typical install to better be able to debug and hunt malware in code and of course to bring the old tools not available anymore back to working state.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2766056]My backup computer has Window 7 and I don’t see changing that anytime soon. It is necessary to run old games that I keep around for my nephew to play. Windows 10 says they are incompatible…[/QUOTE]

Windows 10 will tell you a lot of things which is wrong (because mileage varies and Microsoft must take that into account). Could I have the name, company and approximate year of release for the games?

[QUOTE=Xercus;2766060]Windows 10 will tell you a lot of things which is wrong (because mileage varies and Microsoft must take that into account). Could I have the name, company and approximate year of release for the games?[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure I have all that information at hand, but even Microsoft’s own game, Freelancer, would not install and run well in Windows 10. I installed it in Windows 8.1, to run one of the mods, and it ran after I updated to Win 10, but once uninstalled it would not re-install.

Others with problems…Halo, Halo 2, Outcast, Anachronox, Vampire Bloodlines The Masquerade, Beyond Good and Evil, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I didn’t try Psychonauts while I had Win 10 on that computer, but it will probably work, coming from GOG. Nor did I try Half Life 1 and 2, but they will also probably work through Steam.

So, they’ve been pushing hard for more Windows 10 users for how long, and they’ve just now reaching “more than 200 devices”? I’ll bet there are “more than 200 devices” still running Windows 98, but that’s nothing to write home about. If that’s the best Microsoft can do, they should probably consider hanging their heads in shame.

I was using windows 7 since there release. I was switching between XP and 7 till i get to like windows 7. I wanted to give a try to win 10 and i was really not very exited about them, but once i install them, i just love them.
I don’t even think of going back to 7 or any other.
They are indeed by far the best windows version ever, fastest,more secure, and more affordable to own.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2766063]I’m not sure I have all that information at hand, but even Microsoft’s own game, Freelancer, would not install and run well in Windows 10. I installed it in Windows 8.1, to run one of the mods, and it ran after I updated to Win 10, but once uninstalled it would not re-install.

Others with problems…Halo, Halo 2, Outcast, Anachronox, Vampire Bloodlines The Masquerade, Beyond Good and Evil, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I didn’t try Psychonauts while I had Win 10 on that computer, but it will probably work, coming from GOG. Nor did I try Half Life 1 and 2, but they will also probably work through Steam.[/QUOTE]

I was hoping I had one of the games in my collection (as I have quite a few), but sadly, no - apart from those available on GOG:
Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Outcast, Anachronox, Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption (I do not know if it is the same) which are all Windows 10 compatible as it is, I was unable to locate any example compatible game.

Not to go too off topic in here, I will try to discuss this in greater detail in a club.myce.com forum thread (come and join us :iagree:), including how to get Windows 10 to allow you to install ‘incompatible’ games and how to make them work (in theory), the difference between ‘Run as administrator’ and an administrative command prompt, Paths, and the Policies and Services in play.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2766068]So, they’ve been pushing hard for more Windows 10 users for how long, and they’ve just now reaching “more than 200 devices”? I’ll bet there are “more than 200 devices” still running Windows 98, but that’s nothing to write home about. If that’s the best Microsoft can do, they should probably consider hanging their heads in shame.[/QUOTE]

It is, as I write on top, 200 million devices, but as I mention, it gave me a good laugh - there are most probably more than 200 devices that still run even DOS or CP/M :bigsmile:

As I have reiterated many times before, I love Windows 10, I would never go back to W7 , I never used 8 or 8.1 , but I doubt they were as stable as W10 Pro, I could be wrong but its history now. For those of you that follow the equity markets you can see in Microsoft’s latest numbers, that the reason their stock has tripled in the last year is because of their cloud services and the advent of the Surface Pro Tablet ( laptop) , if you are a Windows guy and not an Apple guy, the Surface Pro is a great piece of hardware. I am sort of " whatever works best for me" type of guy, Apple iphones and watch and MS OS. The watch is very handy for me because I have a heart condition and live in home with a big flight of steps, and I do not have to carry the phone with me all over the house. No landline for me. Again, its like Xercus said, you can apply settings if you wish your privacy to be of utmost importance, to me its not, that’s not to say others feel the same way. “To each his own” is an important thing to respect here. I love it, some may not.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2766110]As I have reiterated many times before, I love Windows 10, I would never go back to W7 , I never used 8 or 8.1 , but I doubt they were as stable as W10 Pro, I could be wrong but its history now. For those of you that follow the equity markets you can see in Microsoft’s latest numbers, that the reason their stock has tripled in the last year is because of their cloud services and the advent of the Surface Pro Tablet ( laptop) , if you are a Windows guy and not an Apple guy, the Surface Pro is a great piece of hardware. I am sort of " whatever works best for me" type of guy, Apple iphones and watch and MS OS. The watch is very handy for me because I have a heart condition and live in home with a big flight of steps, and I do not have to carry the phone with me all over the house. No landline for me. Again, its like Xercus said, you can apply settings if you wish your privacy to be of utmost importance, to me its not, that’s not to say others feel the same way. “To each his own” is an important thing to respect here. I love it, some may not.[/QUOTE]
Nothing wrong here…but the fact is there are plenty of older system still running the older O/S and working and those people are not financially equipped as others are to go the newer O/S on new hardware. I see and read far to many people installing on old hardware and expecting Win10 to function like there was nothing wrong but they couldn’t be farther form the truth. This is the problem alot don’t want to address “WHOM” is going to give those user support for outdated hardware to run Win10 when their system can’t handle Win10. This is the part I have yet to see anyone that claims Win10 Runs on all system. Now if those that tought it’s Win10 will give 24/7 support for those upgrading those outdated systems and resolve their problem then I see no reason to go Win10. This is the Elephant in the Room alot don’t want to see or hear about. A New system running Win10 is fine and good but that doesn’t mean everyone can afford a new system in these financial times where “Food and Home” matters more.

@Xercus, oops, 200 million indeed, fixed and thanks :wink:

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2766122]@Xercus, oops, 200 million indeed, fixed and thanks ;)[/QUOTE]

Some flaws are simply too funny to send you or any of the other admins any PM about, I will however do so if it is critical. Here it was more a case of ‘anyone should get that’ and I still chuckle - 200 indeed :bigsmile:

Yah I had to tweak a few things on win10 to make it more to my liking.  Installed aeroglass to bring back full aero theme transparency.  Classic Start Menu to bring back a classic start menu.  Had to do some registry tweaks to make SMB shares work again.  Once I got it tweaked the way I wanted I was pretty happy with it.

I don’t think I would of paid for windows 10, but for free I’m not complaining.Â

[QUOTE=Zod;2766199]Yah I had to tweak a few things on win10 to make it more to my liking. Installed aeroglass to bring back full aero theme transparency. Classic Start Menu to bring back a classic start menu. Had to do some registry tweaks to make SMB shares work again. Once I got it tweaked the way I wanted I was pretty happy with it.

I don’t think I would of paid for windows 10, but for free I’m not complaining. [/QUOTE]
This is what they Call WINDOWS 7…and worth the money paid for it. All for not when Windows 7 already already has those features… :wink:

Win 10 is nice and seems to work almost flawlessly on both my machines since install. It’s not vastly different to Window 7 and few setup are very hard to find. Even Win XP can still do most things 10 can Window 10 looks cleaner and feels a bit quicker particularly with the SSD i have…!

[QUOTE=robinpinto9698;2766488]Win 10 is nice and seems to work almost flawlessly on both my machines since install. It’s not vastly different to Window 7 and few setup are very hard to find. Even Win XP can still do most things 10 can Window 10 looks cleaner and feels a bit quicker particularly with the SSD i have…![/QUOTE]
Notice there is lack of hardware details here. XP compared to Win10 they are so different XP software will not work on 10 so that comparison is mute at this point. And here we go again “quicker” that dead old line be used again. Win10 is vastly different from Win7 not sure where Microsoft is paying you but Desktop vs Desktop they are not the same. And you can’t make Win10 from the start look like Win7 without using 3rd party software tells you already they aren’t the same. XP can’t run Win7 why would one think Win10 will work on XP hardware----it doesn’t.

Well, I tried Win 10 and tried to like it but couldn’t. Several programs wouldn’t run at all, even in compatibilty mode, Chrome would run only when run as administrator, the system would spontaneously reboot on a frequent basis for no apparent reason and when both Edge and Internet Explorer both stopped running altogether I’d had enough.

I backed up my emails and documents and then replaced my system drive contents with a back-up system image that I’d made immediately prior to “upgrading” and it’s hard to describe just how relieved I was to see the system boot into Win 7 after doing so. :slight_smile: